Benro S2 tripod head vs. Manfrotto BeFree MVH400

CCH

WKR
Hi, new to the site. I recently picked up a Vortex Razor HD 16-48x65mm Gen 1. Unfortunately, the tripod I had for my much lighter weight spotter is not going to cut it. After reading a HUGE amount of threads here going back a while, I am pretty sure I'm going with the Sirui T-1005X legs, but am trying to decide between the Benro S2 and Manfrotto BeFree heads. There are a lot of good reports on the Benro, but not as many reviews for the Manfrotto. Obviously I'm on a bit of a budget, but I am trying to go as light as possible without compromising stability overly much as this will be used for backpacking. Open to other suggestions for legs, but the Sirui seem to be the best bang for the buck. Just for perspective, the new scope covers my birthday, father's day and Christmas presents for 2017. Trying to piece together enough discretionary funds for a tripod and binocular mount is challenging, so moving up to carbon or getting an Outdoorsman head are not options. Thanks for any input!

warrior80

WKR
I have the Benro S2 head and it is awesome. Very smooth and will easily handle your spotter. I use mine with a 85mm Razor spotter. I have not used the Manfrotto so I can't compare the two, but I don't see how you would be disappointed with the S2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I just bought the Beefree and like it. Replaced my 700RC2 with the Beefree. Never used the S2 so no idea how they compare, but the Beefree is lighter. I definitely prefer the Beefree over the 700RC2. I was told by at least two guys that the 700 is nicer than the S2, and that's from guys that have had a chance to use both.

The 700rc2 > benro from first hand experience. From others I've heard the befree > 700rc2. So I would venture that the befree is better than the benro

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey guys,

Just thought i would toss in a slightly bias opinion here. Obviously we sell and recommend the S2 head, so that is my pick.

Having said that, we do continually test new products because we want to carry only the very best products we can. We also refuse to carry products that we would not use ourselves.

We looked at the BeFree head based on feedback from a customer who said they liked the weight. I talked to my vendor about getting one and he said he would not deal with them because of the bad reputation they had. So we purchased one online. The first head we got was leaking metal shavings out the bottom when we moved the head vertically with any amount of friction applied. We sent it back and received another head. This one had the same issue, but it wasn't near as bad.

My experience with the BeeFree was that it was somewhat smooth when kept fairly level, but once you moved the head vertically past 25 or 30 degree's it got very sticky. And the amount of tension had to be adjusted based on the angle of the head. And again, I noticed that metal shavings were coming out the bottom. I hate talking bad about products, i would rather just not say anything about them at all, but based off my experience with the BeeFree I would stay away from it.

Having said all that, i do like the 700rc2 but its just a bit on the heavy side, and its hard for us to get, so we don't carry it.

Take that for what its worth.

rob