Swfa ss 10x42

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone got time behind one of these? Just looks like the best deal out there for another scope.

Yes I had one for a few years. For even twice the price its hard to find a more durable and reliable scope. I regularly dialed and shot out to around 1K. Tracking was good, glass was good, and I liked the reticle. Of course there is better glass out there but it's a great scope and I won't hesitate to recommend it. Being a fixed 10 power has its downsides but also has its upsides. The only reason I don't still have that scope is because my brother got into shooting long range so I gave him the scope.

I've been looking at the swfa also. I haven't really seen anyone say anything negative about them.

Grumman

WKR
Had a buddy try to sell me one for that Winchester EW Bob. It seemed like a great scope and the turrets were very solid. In the end though I felt the straight 10 was more than I needed. I ran across a deal and ordered a FX3 6x Leupold, if I don't like that I'll pickup a 6x SWFA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
Good scope. I've got the mil dot version. Evidently there's a MOA reticle that I'd much rather have.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Excellent scope for the money and built like a tank. I recently installed one on a 7mm-08 for an antelope hunt in August. The glass is bright and clear even in low light conditions. Tracking is spot on although I have only used it out to 300 yds. It compares well with scopes that I have that are nearly twice the price. I am actually thinking about getting another 10x or for my 300 Win Mag.

mechengr

FNG
Anybody have experience on what it's like to carry one around with those tall turrets knobs? That would be my only hesitation putting one on a backcountry rifle

Ian

Lil-Rokslider
I've had one on an AR10 for several years. it has always dialed good. I knocked two of the turrets off in a spill down some rocks, and SWFA replaced the scope. I did have trouble with the windage turret though, when slung I noticed that the windage would get spun on my hip. I had to make sure I knew where zero was, and check it. Then realizing I never adjusted for wind, but used the dots, I just took the cap off and taped it. Didn't mind the the straight 10 power.

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody have experience on what it's like to carry one around with those tall turrets knobs? That would be my only hesitation putting one on a backcountry rifle

Yeah I did it one year when I was in between hunting rifles, so I had to hunt with my long range rig. The turrets are pretty chunky for a backcountry rifle and it was noticeable. Didn't stop me from hunting or hinder my hunt in any way other than they get in the way a bit more when slinging the rifle or just moving it around while I stopped to glass, water stops, etc. So yeah, the big turrets are noticeable and not ideal for what I prefer if I want a slick, lightweight setup. Just depends on your style of hunting and what you're willing to tolerate given your budget and options. Great scope, but robustly built and made for long range tactical shooting. It's biggest benefits are durability, reliability, tracking, and price. If you are looking for a scope primarily for long range but you plan on also using it for some hunting then it could be a good option, especially if you're on a lower budget.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Jim, good observations on the turret size. Before I purchased the scope, I certainly thought about carrying the rifle while hunting without messing up the turret settings. I use a Crooked Horn Gun Commander to carry rifles on my backpacks (installed on the right side of my packs) and the turrets on classic SWFA SS 10x42 do not come in contact with anything other than perhaps something I may occasionally brush by. I don't think the turret size will be a problem. Love the scope and consider it one of the best that I own, even when compared with my more expensive scopes. I currently have it installed on a Tikka T3 7mm-08 for long range hunting. The rifle/scope combination will be used for hunting antelope in NM later this year.

16Bore

WKR
Mines on a 1:8 223. Little ass heavy but it's a shooting mofo.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

SWFA scopes are 90% of what I and those I hunt with use for hunting. It may be because we use scopes with turrets every day, but it's never been a concern or thought.

All all of these are backpack deer.

IMG_4729_zpsncaugqql.jpg

IMG_7384_zpss65eiilx.jpg

image_zps807dbee0.jpg

IMG_5286_zpsjsxl60tx.jpg

I will readily admit that I don't much care for "cheap" glass, when it comes to my big game or precision rifles.

Due to other people's opinions and experiences, who I know and respect, I figure I would try an SWFA fixed 10X, while I saved for another Nightforce, to stick on my T3 .300.

Long story short, after doing box drills, load development, and hunting a couple seasons with the SWFA 10X (MIL/MIL), I decided to spend my money elsewhere. The 10X is staying on the rifle. It is not a cheaply made scope.

In fact,

I just took a fixed 10X USO with MOA reticle (which is an outstanding scope) off of one of my other .308s, and replaced it with an SWFA 3.5-15x42 MIL/MIL scope.

This weekend I ran some quick box drills after I zeroed it, and it tracked exactly as it should.

They seem to be a case where you get more than what you would expect to pay for.

More likely than not, I will end up with 1 or 2 more.

I still like my Nightforce NXS scopes, but there are no flies on the SWFAs.

16Bore

WKR
Pretty crazy what you can get for $259 on Black Friday, huh?

cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I have had one of these 10X for many years. I have used it on steel out to 1000 yds and have taken game out 1/2 that distance or better. Currently have it on a 243 Win. and the only negative thing that has ever happened is I got one full rotation off a number of times. Probably 2 years ago someone came up with an economical zero stop for them and I ordered one and that solved that problem. It has always been repeatable - may not be alpha glass but it is more than adequate. I would not hesitate to order another one. As a matter of fact I think SWFA is an alpha distributor in my dealings with them on any product.

Ian

Lil-Rokslider
Do you recall where the zero stop came from?
I have had one of these 10X for many years. I have used it on steel out to 1000 yds and have taken game out 1/2 that distance or better. Currently have it on a 243 Win. and the only negative thing that has ever happened is I got one full rotation off a number of times. Probably 2 years ago someone came up with an economical zero stop for them and I ordered one and that solved that problem. It has always been repeatable - may not be alpha glass but it is more than adequate. I would not hesitate to order another one. As a matter of fact I think SWFA is an alpha distributor in my dealings with them on any product.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Dotman, Thanks! I ordered a set of the zero stop shims from Tim. He quickly responded to my email and let me know what info he needed for the order. They shipped the next day and I should have them soon.