Vortex Talon Binos

NDGuy

WKR
Since they are discontinued, my local Scheels has the 10x42s on sale for $349.99. Anyone have experience with these binos and like them for what you paid?

I currently have an old Bushnell pair that I am looking to upgrade from. Before anyone asks no I am not buying a $800+ pair of binos. I still need a rangefinder so trying to keep both under $1k.

CorbLand

WKR
Thats a pretty good price on a decent bit of glass. The talons are great for the money. I never could find a big difference between them and the vipers other than size. The dual hinge is awesome if you plan on using them on a tripod.

colersu22

WKR
If you keep an eye out you can pick up 10x42 viper HD's for close to that price. I got a pair on rockslide for 400 with the AGC cub bino harness and I believe the vipers are better Han the talons but I haven't looked through talons.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Thats a pretty good price on a decent bit of glass. The talons are great for the money. I never could find a big difference between them and the vipers other than size. The dual hinge is awesome if you plan on using them on a tripod.

Yes I plan on using them on a tripod while I am saving for my spotting scope in a year or two..if it works well enough I might say F the spotter.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
If you keep an eye out you can pick up 10x42 viper HD's for close to that price. I got a pair on rockslide for 400 with the AGC cub bino harness and I believe the vipers are better Han the talons but I haven't looked through talons.

I couldn't tell the difference between the two when I looked at Scheels. That's kind of why I am leaning towards pulling the trigger on them.

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
I have used my talons for 2 seasons and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a few seasons on mine , been great . I sent them in for warranty work , im rough on my stuff , just got them back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy them...I own 2 pairs of the 10x talons one used 3 seasons and the other ride in the door of my truck all year for the last 4 years. It's a shame they are discontinuing them as I think they are a great bang for your buck. I hunt in very wet climate and have never had any issues with lens fog or clarity issues and they draw light great.

ljalberta

WKR
I used a pair of Talon HD 8x32 last year. I think they're a great value at that price if that's what your budget is allowing. I realize you said you're not looking to spend $800 on binos, but I would still recommend that if you have a $1000 budget for glass and a range finder, to go the used route. You could get a vastly superior set of binos like the Conquest or Euro as well as a rangefinder with that money. If you're just doing the occasional glassing, then it may not be worth it to you, but if you're doing longer glassing session, you're going to have no regrets about using the superior glass. I learned this lesson personally this past year, hence my upgrading to higher grade glass this season

Firehawk

WKR
I happily ran the 8x42 Talon HD for many years. Optically they were right there with the Vipers with a little wider FOV, but the Vipers were sharper at the very edge. So....in reality usable FOV was very similar. My Mavens are better, but they cost 3x as much and should. Buy them and don't look back. They are good and allow you to see lots of stuff.

FH