Prioritizing Optics

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in need to optics. Not too long ago I bought a Vortex Viper HD 65mm spotting scope on here new, and I only set it up in my kitchen to look through it. I was planning on buying something in the $500 range for binos, possibly the 10x42 Vanguard Endeavors, Leupold Mojave, etc. I see people post that it's good to save up and get the next level of binos, say the Zeiss Conquest HD. Would it be a bad idea to sell the spotting scope, go without one for a while, and just hunt with the Zeiss binos, or equivalent?

Thanks,
Chris

Trial153

WKR
Chris, I think we would need to know more about where and what your primary hunting is, in order to give a better option

OP
C

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
I'm trying to have a separate gear setup for hunts out west. I live in the northeast and have everything i need for that. I'm trying to get a list of gear that will suffice for most western hunts. Nothing that is good for specific hunts only, but hear that can work for multiple environments

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
I would get some good binoculars first. I have Zeiss 10x42, but just picked up some Meopta's that are just as good in8x42. I would hang onto the spotter, but I find the binoculars are far better for finding game. If you look on eBay you can find the meoptas at your price point of 500.00. Get the European glass and you will be happy.

Keep your spotter for now. Get a set of 10x42 swarovski or leica binoculars. IF $500 is your bino budget you need to beg borrow or steal for the rest of the money. But them on a tripod and you will thank me later. GET a comfortable harness and take them every time you hunt. PUT your money in the gear you use the most.

Trial153

WKR
With the loss you'd take selling the scope I would hold onto it.
Keep looking for a pair of conquest hds to upgrade your binos.
You can find a pair used or a demo for 600ish ... no sense taking a loss on the scope and adding it to the cost of the binos .

Axlrod

WKR
+1 on the swaro's. bought mine 10 years ago works out to $120/ yr or about .10 cents an hour of use! I would leave my gun and spotter home before I would leave the binos behind.

elkguide

WKR
Agreed with what has been said.
You will use your bino's at least 10 times more than you will use your spotter.

I am a Swarovski fanboy and I find that even though I hunt in the thick woods of the East as well as in the wide open spaces of the West and I have found that with good glass, that isn't a problem. If you are using "lesser quality" glass, 10 power is too much. So since you have a new spotter, don't sell it as you will take too much of a loss but I would work all of the overtime you can or take on a side job or two or whatever you can do to come up with the money for a pair of high quality binoculars.

From my experience it's going to be Swaro or Leica for the top glass and I have had the best experience with warranty/customer service with Swarovski so that's where I would be heading.

OP
C

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
What's a realistic price I can find for the lower end of the swarovski binos, whatever model that may be?

elkguide

WKR
There are a couple of pairs on Ebay right now:

SLC for $950
EL's for $1050

If you keep your eyes open you can usually find them around those numbers and as long as you keep in mind that binos in this class can truly be a lifetime purchase. I have a pair of SLC's, (well my son has taken ownership) that I bought in 1995 that are still going strong.

Don't overlook the older leica 10x42 bn or ba model glass. I have a set and love them. JUST make sure glass is scratch free. VERY popular with bird watchers and can be had for a reasonable price.

Ronb

WKR
My buddy just picked up a pair of swaro slc 10x42hd's for $921 on ebay. They are amazing. Had a small dent in the objective. Only cosmetic. Deals are out there. Save a few extra bucks and grab some used slc's or trinny's. They are 98% of the latest and greatest, at half the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d90rick

Lil-Rokslider
sell it all, take the loss get a pair of the older/discontinued leica trinovids in 10x42 - you can find them new for around 900, I got a pair from scheels for 800. then, get a nice stable tripod and panhead - I have the slik carbon setup from s&s archery and the outdoorsmans bino mount for them (make sure you tell them its the older model trinovids so you get the right stud the first time...) You will love this setup

OP
C

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
Well i was hoping for a unanimous recommendation, but it seems we have a mix. Is a conquest vs trinovid a ford/Chevy debate, or would you say one is noticeably better?

If at all possible try several different binos under FIELD conditions. NOTHING beats side by side comparison. It's your eyes and your $$$$$.

dotman

WKR
Well i was hoping for a unanimous recommendation, but it seems we have a mix. Is a conquest vs trinovid a ford/Chevy debate, or would you say one is noticeably better?

Imo yes, I would get whichever is cheapest between the two.

d90rick

Lil-Rokslider
With the Leica trinovids if you want the better glass you have to find the ones made 2015 - 2010? & yes those are better than the new conquests (but the conquests are good though)

Binos are like shotguns.
What works for one guy may feel awkward for another.
Always buy quality.
Once you determine what you want, there is good value in the used market.
Every brand has fanboys.