Nightforce SHV: good quality for the money?

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
What's the general thought on the quality of the Nightforce SHV line of optics relative to the price?

Do they compare favorably to other optics at that price point? How do they stack up to other Nightforce optics? Had been thinking about possibly pairing one with a rifle in a magnum caliber (which I do not yet own - watch for a thread on this, as well), probably 300wm.

I couldn't find much existing info in threads on these, but feel free to point me to other threads on the topic if I overlooked them.

dotman

WKR
Well has the same glass as the NXS, it was good enough for me to sell my Swaro Z3 and keep the SHV. I have the 3-10x42, do a quick search on google and you'll find they didn't skimp on durability or quality you just don't get all the expensive features that are on the NXS line.

So yes imo it's a great deal, call one shot gear and see if they will give you a rokslide discount if you go this route.

Last edited:

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hunted with the SHV this last season. It went to Alaska, Washington and Idaho. Was able to notch a tag on a bear, deer and elk (plus countless shots on steel targets). Distance varied from 200 to 600 on animals and well past 700 on targets. It was strapped to packs, layed in boats, flew on planes, dropped, was wet, was hot, got dirty....you name it.

The scope has found a home on my rifle for awhile.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
How'd you end up using the scope for those longer range shots - dialing, holding, etc.?

I hunted with the SHV this last season. It went to Alaska, Washington and Idaho. Was able to notch a tag on a bear, deer and elk (plus countless shots on steel targets). Distance varied from 200 to 600 on animals and well past 700 on targets. It was strapped to packs, layed in boats, flew on planes, dropped, was wet, was hot, got dirty....you name it.

The scope has found a home on my rifle for awhile.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
How'd you end up using the scope for those longer range shots - dialing, holding, etc.?
The bear was 200 yards. No hold over or dialing needed.

Deer was 446 yards, dialed and double lunged the buck.

Elk was 541 yards, once again I dialed and shot the elk twice. Died in his tracks.

OP
R

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks.

What rifle(s)/caliber(s) were you using, if you don't mind me inquiring in a thread about optics?

The bear was 200 yards. No hold over or dialing needed.

Deer was 446 yards, dialed and double lunged the buck.

Elk was 541 yards, once again I dialed and shot the elk twice. Died in his tracks.

OP
R

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
Also, just a general question to anyone - how does the 3-10x42 SHV compare to the 3-15x42 Vortex Razor HD LH? Those are the two that I'm comparing at the moment.

dotman

WKR
Also, just a general question to anyone - how does the 3-10x42 SHV compare to the 3-15x42 Vortex Razor HD LH? Those are the two that I'm comparing at the moment.

Not a clue but after owning many Vortex products I highly doubt I ever buy another. You will use the warranty at some point with a vortex.

Beastmode

WKR
Not a clue but after owning many Vortex products I highly doubt I ever buy another. You will use the warranty at some point with a vortex.

Just curious what issues you have had. I have 2 sets of binos, a spotter and 4 scopes from cheap to not and never had any issues. I'm tough on gear too. Daughter had her rifle fall directly on the scope checked zero and it never moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately, I've been hearing many people with rapport saying the same for some time.

dotman

WKR
Just curious what issues you have had. I have 2 sets of binos, a spotter and 4 scopes from cheap to not and never had any issues. I'm tough on gear too. Daughter had her rifle fall directly on the scope checked zero and it never moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a viper scope, last Vortex item I have, that needs to go back as it super blurry a lens must have moved internally or something. My vortex rangefinder was never consistent I just kept trying to convince myself it was. My razor spotting scope just wasn't impressive for the price paid.

Many different people here have had to send in their stuff for all the diff lines Vortex has so it's not a secret. I'm not knocking Vortex but I don't think I've read a post about an ineffective nightforce or quality control issues such as the eye cups on binos falling off, wrong windage knob installed etc like you will with Vortex.

I put a Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 Illuminated MOAR on a .260 rem. The gun was built for banging steel and hunting whitetail and antelope. For my purposes it would be hard to beat the SHV. I've used the MOAR reticle to hold over out to 500 yards with no problem. But dialing is my preference. I've shot steel out to 800 yards and an antelope at 350. I've shot steel at 500 yards well after official sunset (maybe 45 - 60 minutes) with no problem. My shooting partner thought it was a too dark that evening with his rig. Anecdotal, but that's all I've got.

I really like the Nightforce SHV and recommend it anytime someone is asking.

TheCougar

WKR
Tikka t3 7mm

How is the eye relief? I have the exact same gun and I am looking at the exact same scope. The eye relief is the only thing holding me back.

Was the 10x magnification enough at 600yds (max I plan to hunt)?

stevevan

WKR
I have a NXS and everything about Nightforce is great, except the eye relief. It is very short and I've had difficulty mounting it properly on a few rifles I intended to have it installed. Finally just gave up and put it on an AR 15 where the short eye relief wasn't a problem. I ended up using the Leica ER scope series which are a similar price point of the SHV. Great glass and very generous eye relief.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Put a shv, moar on the 300 rum., last year, was pleased, and impressed with the glass. Took 2 animals with it, a antelope in 90' plus weather at about 325 yds., and a buck in the rain,low clouds/fog, just under 300 yds. The lighted center cross hair was nice in the low light shot on the buck. Eye relief was not a issue with the unbraked 300, haven't taken it long yet or seen how it hold's up for years, but as of now, I would recommend it to anyone.
Mike