Do you pack a small spotter or big?

I posted up here a little bit ago about upgrading my optics and it got me thinking about maybe keeping what I have and getting backcountry spotter. I am looking at the vortex 50 mm and waiting for the new Kowa. The current 80mm viper I have does a good job and I don't mind using it. So with Meopta 10x42's or Viper HD's 12x50's I think a smaller scope would work. If you have some digiscoping pics through your little spotter that would be great to see as well. I am so used to taking my 6 lbs worth of spotting gear, jumping down to a couple pounds would be awesome.

I'm not an extreme light weight backpacker like a lot of guys on here, so take it for what it's worth. I have a hard time seeing the value in a spotter that only gets me out to 33x. For an extra pound and some change my Kowa 66 gives me a darn good view up to 60x. I get that a pound is a big deal for some guys, but personally I'd rather not skimp in the optic department. Plenty of times I've needed that 45-60x to really size up an animal.

RyanC

WKR
I think it really depends on what you are hunting. For instance when I sheep hunt in Alaska it is critical that I am able to judge a sheep from a long distance to save myself from climbing up and down mountains to get closer, so I opt for bigger glass....80mm. If I am hunting elk, mule deer, or coues deer down in AZ and I'm not concerned about whether the animal is "legal" or not just curious on size I would opt for a smaller scope....65mm. Personally I don't have a use for a 50mm scope, but that's just me.

In general I think weight can be cut in other places and good glass will save you a lot of walking so for all purpose I would opt to go big on the spotter. Hope that helps.

Ryan

svivian

WKR
I had a razor 65 that I packed all the time and now I bring my ats 80 every trip. I have never noticed the weight in my pack and it has saved me many miles of walking not having to guess what I'm looking at with binos.

BigDog00

WKR
I too started with a 65mm Razor and quickly sold it for the 85mm. I've never wished I had a smaller scope.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
Another 80mm guy but I the new 55mm Kowa has me considering it but I'll probably just stick with the 80.

lee peet

FNG
I am an extreme backpacker and packed a 65mm for years and constantly was in situations wanting more magnification for long range judging. So upgraded to an 85mm with 75x magnification and will never go back. If someone came out with a scope with equivalent magnification in a 65mm spotter without an extender that might catch my attention though.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
I think the little spotter would be great for muledeer and elk.

Just working through this. I have a viper 80mm that I take for scouting but I have been on this internal debate about getting a 50mm for in season. Or should I get a new razor hd 65 and just backpack with that.

mcseal2

WKR
I have 3 spotters now, Swaro ATS 80mm, Swaro STM 65mm, and a Nikon ED50. I bought the Nikon first and used it for everything until I could afford better. It still plays a role in my hunting, usually for elk. I have a little cheap light Slikk Compact II tripod and the ED50 that weigh about 1lb each. It's not as nice as the better, heavier, set-ups for long glassing sessions but seems to be just enough to check the bull out and see if he's broken that I find with my binos. If I plan to spend a lot of time glassing my pack usually has the STM65 and the Outdoorsmans compact medium tripod with their pan head, plus an adapter for my binos. I also pack the Outdoorsmans V shooting rest so my tripod is also my shooting platform. If I'm just needing to evaluate larger antlers like an elk's for broken tines and judging size though the little 50mm scope and light tripod can cut weight. They total up to 37oz. The STM65, Swaro soft case, Outdoorsmans pan head, and tripod weigh 5.9lbs. Depending on what and how I'm hunting the little one can save a lot of weight.

The 80mm spotter mainly gets used scouting or from a window mount. The 65mm gets used for antelope, muleys, and often whitetail. The 50mm gets used for elk. Hope this helps.

JLH208

WKR
I started with a razor 50 and loved it, it definitely has its place and if I could afford it I would have kept it. I sold it to buy a razor 65 and that's my happy medium. I don't worry about counting inches I just want to verify animals at longer distances and I enjoy watching them. I would love to own an 85 for the pickup, pack my 65 for muleys, bears and antelope. the 50 would be great for where I hunt elk however I run 12x50 razors on a tripod which do just enough that I don't need to pack a spotter when hunting them. For the record, I really only archery hunt. Not to say I won't put it in for a good rifle tag I just enjoy archery and am not as picky on antlers. My optics are there to tell me if I'm looking at a decent buck or bull, and help me watch them bed down, react to calls, etc. They also tell me if I'm looking at a monster so I can call work and tell them I'm extending my days off haha. In conclusion, I would say if you can afford it and aren't afraid to pack it, go bigger. I miss my little 50 but in reality I don't know how much it would be used, I think I'm used to packing my 65 now and am accustomed to the magnification and would have a hard time justifying stepping down. If I owned an 85 I probably would say the same over the 65. Also, there is another thread with PhoneSkope pictures through all 3 razor spotters. I have pictures through my 50 and my 65 and others have great pictures too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use 12x50 razor binos on a tripod and started with a razor 50 spotter. I always found myself needing more magnification and just bought an 85 razor on sale-old model. I kept the 50 spotter, I think it is clearer than the 85 but its super light and compact just doesn't do well trying to look at deer racks beyond 1000 yards but would probably be fine for elk hunts. I am a bit hesitant to pack the big heavy 85 but hopefully it will be worth it.