Sheep Hunt - Spotting Scope Question

GPATTI

WKR
Guys,
I am going on a Dall sheep hunt (archery) in July. Was planning on taking a Vortex Razor HD 11-33X50.

I am really trying to minimize weight. Do you think this is enough magnification?? My guide will have one, but after a long deliberation, I have decided to take my own for the experience, digiscoping, etc.

NOTE - I will going in on helo, and hiking to and from a tent each day (NWT).

Thanks!

Never been sheep hunting, but I believe that you're talking about HUGE country. The ability to clearly view and see details of the sheep will save you hours, miles, and energy that you probably don't want to use without knowing that the sheep your going after is worth the effort. My advice would be to take the biggest and best glass you can afford.

RyanC

WKR
If you want to be able to judge a sheep and do some digiscooping the 50mm will just be extra weight in your pack, pretty useless in my opinion. On my last dall sheep hunt I brought my Zeiss 65mm and my brother brought his Razor 85mm. I found myself looking through his big 85mm quite often because I could see that much better. I will be hunting sheep this fall as well and I am borrowing a buddies Swarovski ATX 80mm. I just think for sheep you need big glass, no smaller than 65mm for sure.

Ryan

Good question! It is nice to have your own scope along, but my buddies and I mostly share one on backpack hunts. The 50 mm scopes are way better than your binos for a closeup look at rams (I have a Nikon ED50, but prefer my Swaro 65mm for sheep). How much backpacking do you do and what kind of shape are you in? Is the addition of a 2# scope plus a 2# tripod going to really slow you down on your day hunts? Binos, weapon, water, food, tarp, rain gear, rangefinder, iPhone/GPS all add up. Anyway, it is nice when someone else carries the big scope and tripod, but you miss out on some glassing and digi-photo ops. What is most important to you?

Rifle or bow? Timing of the hunt? Good luck, should be the hunt of a lifetime!

OP
G

GPATTI

WKR
Thanks, RyanC.

Blockcaver - Going bowhunting, NWT. July 18-27. Nahanni Butte Outfitters (Lancaster).

fatrascal

WKR
The magnification power is controlled by the zoom feature located on the eyepiece of the spotter. So the Vortex 11-33x50 spotter has a zoom that starts at 11 power and zooms to 33 power. In my opinion I would not go sheep hunting with anything less than a 65mm scope which will have a zoom from 20 power to 60 power depending on name brand of scope. Some 65mm scopes only zoom out to 48 power. But as you can see there is a big difference in the zoom capability between 50mm scope and a 65mm scope. Sure you can look through the guides scope but that gets pretty aggravating real quick. I hate looking at an animal and having somebody ask if they can take a look. Just my opinion. Fatrascal

TheCougar

WKR
So I will preface this by saying that I have never sheep hunted... however, one of the guys I work with is a huge sheep hunter. I have swaro binos and a razor spotter. He has razor binos and a 65mm swaro spotter. When I asked him why he prioritized a swaro spotter over binos, his answer was sheep hunting. He is looking very long distances and looking for very specific details (rings, curl, damage) that you can't see without the best glass and without a larger objective like a 65mm or better. I believe him... I have a razor 65mm, and although it is good, Swaro is a whole different level of clarity and brightness. If I was going sheep hunting, I would upgrade just based on his experience and recommendation to buy the best spotter you can when sheep hunting. I would find out exactly what kind of glass your guide is using (they don't all run alpha glass) and consider an upgrade to 65mm and swaro or similar quality spotter. If he has the spotter covered and you are just getting one for digiscoping and fun-sies, then you can get away with a smaller objective and lower quality.