Vortex 12x50 vs. ?

I think I am pulling trigger on these for my tripod binocs for Colorado high country early season deer bow hunt. Anyone have any other binocs in the $1000-1500 range that would be comparable? Don't want to overlook something comparable. Thanks for any insight.

The Cabelas Euro HD's are on sale at $1200 for the 12x50's right now and are comparable to the vortex razor glass. The ergonomics are different than the razor with the euro's being heavier and shorter with different eyecups. It might be worth a side-by-side comparison if you have a Cabelas close-by.

The Maven B2's come in an 11x45 and can only be bought direct from Maven, but you can pick up a demo set for $990 with a free 2 week trial period. They are a new company, but they are getting some good reviews online.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have been using the Vortex Razor HD 12X50s as my only binos since 2013 on a pile of hunts for grizzlies, brown bear, dall sheep, caribou, moose, black bear, deer, and mountain goat. For the money I find them hard to beat and much prefer them over the mid 2000s Swaro EL 10X42 I had.

Yup not as good likely as the current Swaro EL 12X50s, but I feel far from handicapped and see no reason to upgrade anytime soon. I love me some 12X :)

AGPank

WKR
I picked up a pair of Leica Ultravid HD 12x50's. excellent glass. Excellent build quality. I'm comfortable with short viewing off hand. I did pick up an outdoorsman adapter, but haven't done much use with it yet.
I've read good reviews about the Meopta Meostar too. I had it narrowed down to those, couldn't pass up the Leicas for the same price.

I've had 8 and 10x42 razors. I don't think the razors are quite there with
Leica or Meopta for build quality and slightly below optics.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
At that price point, my eyes like the 11x45 Mavens. IMO they Spank the Razors in brightness and clarity.

ianpadron

WKR
I was planning on going the Razor 12x50 route as well until stumbling upon the Meopta Meostar HD, you can find them for $1,000 and they compare favorably across the board to Swarovski's SLC stuff according to the forums I've visited. Same glass as the Cabela's Euro line.

Birders and hunters alike literally have 0 negative things to say about them, and I'm saving up for them instead of the razors. Had a pair of 12x50 Dbacks from Vortex that just didn't work for me with their low end glass.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I was planning on going the Razor 12x50 route as well until stumbling upon the Meopta Meostar HD, you can find them for $1,000 and they compare favorably across the board to Swarovski's SLC stuff according to the forums I've visited. Same glass as the Cabela's Euro line.

Birders and hunters alike literally have 0 negative things to say about them, and I'm saving up for them instead of the razors. Had a pair of 12x50 Dbacks from Vortex that just didn't work for me with their low end glass.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Great glass, I just don't like how bulky the Meopta's are, first world problem for sure:)

OP
B
Thanks guys. Just what I was hoping to hear. I will look into mavens and meopta. Looked at euros and thought they were comparable, but thought if they were the same I'd take the vortex warranty as an advantage. My eyes aren't perceptive enough to know the difference in side by side comparisons in small details. Hoping to trust some of you guys that spend serious time behind the glass. Thanks.

Compare side by side, on tripods, in less than perfect light (not in a store or at high noon). I think the meoptas have a little more "pop" to them. They seem to resolve details better to my eyes and have a certain wow factor. I don't quite get the same sharpness out of the razors and some of them I've looked through had a foggy ring around the outside edge. You're not going to notice much difference hand holding them outside the store for 10 minutes, but in the field you'd notice little things. The meopta build quality is better as well, eyecups, focus knobs, etc. These are just my findings.

That being said, I know a lot of guys who use razors that kill A LOT more animals than I do. I can't speak for the Leica or Maven.

WRO

WKR
Thanks guys. Just what I was hoping to hear. I will look into mavens and meopta. Looked at euros and thought they were comparable, but thought if they were the same I'd take the vortex warranty as an advantage. My eyes aren't perceptive enough to know the difference in side by side comparisons in small details. Hoping to trust some of you guys that spend serious time behind the glass. Thanks.

Just do an edge to edge clarity test, the difference between the two is in that category is huge.

I'll agree with Ryan though, the do have the ergonomics of a Carls JR Superstar..