Leupold BX-3 Mojave Bino Question

I currently have the Vortex Talon HD 10X42 and am looking to upgrade. I have seen mixed opinions om the Leupold BX-3 Mojave which I think is their flagship bino model. The obvious is to compare both side by side but I currently don't have that luxury. Is it worth it or would it be better to stick with what I have?

Olbadae

Lil-Rokslider
I've used the mojave HD 10x42 for 2 years now and love them. I've looked thru others much more expensive binos and I really think the mojave is better. I really like that the focus does well over a large depth of view so you don't have to adjust them all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
I would not call the Vortex Talon an upgrade necessarily. What it is is a whole lot bigger than the Mojave. Optical quality is pretty much a wash.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if that's much of an upgrade. I'm assuming you're referring to the newer Mojave Pro Guide HD. The older BX-3 Mojave isn't much better than the Vortex you have now.

I looked at the Mojave Pro Guide HD and looked through them a few times at different stores. I was comparing the Leuy to the Vortex Razor HD. I ended up getting Zeiss Conquest HDs instead over either of the others after spending some time comparing the glass on all of the options available.

CorbLand

WKR
The Guide HDs are a great pair of binoculars. Solid glass, comfortable and the focus on them is really good as well. Compared to the Talons, it will be an upgrade but really not a ton. Compared to the Razors, I would say that optically the Razors are better but your looking at a huge difference in price between the two, so that should be expected.

If you are wanting to upgrade from Talons, I would look at Zeiss Conquests or Leica Trivovids as well.

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have an opinion on how the mojave pro guides rate compared to the vortex vipers?

CorbLand

WKR
Anyone have an opinion on how the mojave pro guides rate compared to the vortex vipers?

Its been a minute since I have compared those two but I remember them being super close in image compared to the Vipers.

OP
F
The Guide HDs are a great pair of binoculars. Solid glass, comfortable and the focus on them is really good as well. Compared to the Talons, it will be an upgrade but really not a ton. Compared to the Razors, I would say that optically the Razors are better but your looking at a huge difference in price between the two, so that should be expected.

If you are wanting to upgrade from Talons, I would look at Zeiss Conquests or Leica Trivovids as well.

I really like the Conquests but found out you have to buy the tripod adaptor separately and it's around $200.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Conquests​ have a standard insert for a adaptor. Don't know where your getting a 200 dollar price tag. Remove plastic cover thread in adaptor done

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
F
Conquests​ have a standard insert for a adaptor. Don't know where your getting a 200 dollar price tag. Remove plastic cover thread in adaptor done

Ok that makes more sense. I emailed Zeiss to confirm that the Conquests could be tripod mounted and they said with an adapter that was $200. Maybe they thought I was referring to an accessory.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The ziess adapter (they only make one and some of thier binoculars are NOT threaded) goes around the barrels but the conquest will accept the standard thread in adaptor. I had a few different ones mounted to my conquests over the years.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I have an advanced field research bino mount on my Zeiss Conquest HDs. Any mount with a 20- 1/4" thread screw will work on the Zeiss.

have used my brothers MOjaves 8x42 HD model in Kodiak last year.comparing them to my older Gold Rings i loved them so much i got me a set. the HD model is a game changer in picking out critters in the brush. what you get for the price is ridiculous. recommend highly!

OP
F
Well I've done plenty of research and I'm gonna get the 12x50 Mojave HD Pro Guides. I'll reply with my opinion once I get to use them.