Like the look of the new compact Kowa spotter. Anxiously awaiting release.

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey guys,

I just want to apologize, we're holding back at the request of Kowa. We are trying to get specific approval to release our thoughts on this scope. Specs wont be available until mid July, but we're hoping to at least get our first impression out ASAP. We'll be passing the scope around to a bunch of guys who know glass, so when we do have approval, you'll get a wealth of opinions.

rob

2blade

WKR
A recent internet search produced this:

Objective lens Diameter 55mm
Objective lens material Fluorite crystal
Coating Fully multi-coated
Magnification 15-45x
Minimum Focusing Distance 9.8ft
Field of view (degree) 2.5-1.3
Field of view at 1000ft 132ft-69ft
Size TSN-553: W 10.6" H 6" D 2.6" TSN-554: W 11.3" H 3.4" D 2.6"
Weight 553: 28.5oz 554: 28.2oz
Color 880 Green
Material for Body Poly carbonate
Eyepiece Non changeable
Twist-up eye cap Yes
Hood system Slide
Filter Thread 58mm
Water Proof IPX7 (Dry Nitrogen Gas)

Kowa also has a short video with it and digiscope attachments on facebook..

Sounds pretty awesome but I wonder how it compares to the opticron mm4 60mm.. it's looking to be twice the price.

I looked through the MM3 60 and thought it was very good. I would much rather have that than say the Razor 50 which I owned and sold. The light gathering between a 50 and 60 is enough for me to not want a 50. I don't think the changes to the MM4 are major from the MM3. They both can use the same SDL eye piece. By the way I have the SDL eye piece on Opticron's 66ED and think it is a very very good scope. I was impressed and would love to put it next to a Kowa 664 or even a Swaro.

Ewaragnar

Lil-Rokslider
Bit the bullet this morning and ordered. The plan is to run this on a KDC tripod for my ultralight setup.

mcseal2

WKR
I'm curious to see the full review. I might sell my STM 65 and Nikon ED50 and go with this one to replace both. Low light is my biggest concern. I have a ATS 80 HD I use scouting whitetail around home off the window mount, once I got kinda spoiled there it's hard to settle with TOO much less in low light. If this would be as good as the non-HD STM65 I pack in the mountains I'd probably be on the pre-order list. That spotter with the stay on case and Outdoorsmans adapter is 50.8oz in my pack, cutting off close to 1.4lbs is always welcome as long as the optics are equivalent when the sun drops and the deer come out.