$900 binos or bino/spotter combo

Mike7

WKR
Here is a little different option. Elk are big and easy to spot out in the open. The Maven B3 8x30s are $500. Put those on a $400 packable Gitzo tripod with a cheap ballhead that will work with any pair of binoculars, including 15's, and a quick detach binocular mount like Optics Research...and you are right at $1,000.

Then you will have a very light setup that will find any elk within 2-3 miles and any deer within a mile, right up to end shooting light almost, but not beyond. Also you will have a good still hunting bino for hunting cover, and you will have a tripod that will work for any future additions.

Unless you are getting a spotter for range use, the cheap or even mid-range spotters don't seem to add much.

From field use, the Maven B3s (B1s are good also) are as good or better of a view than the Razors, but 1/2 the price.

ianpadron

WKR
Had this same dilemma, sold my mid range spotter and binos and grabbed some Meopta HD 12x50s. I have a good feeling about the decision!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

JLH208

WKR
I vote start with quality binos, get quality spotter when you have the coin later. You don't wanna have to deal with selling mid grade optics later when you find you wanna upgrade. Get good binos now and worry about a spotter down the road. I'm happy with my Razor 12x50's (sometimes wish I had 10x50) and Razor 65mm and yes will upgrade to swaro when I can but these will serve me well for years to come.

- Jesse

OP
mlawrence125

mlawrence125

Lil-Rokslider
Seems that the general consensus is get binos first. I intended to get a tripod for glassing regardless of what set up I went with, that will help in being stable. I will more than likely go with an 8x42 or 10x42. How do Maven binos compare to the Vortex Razers? When I purchase it some it will most likely be one of these two companies. Thank you for all the input!

Jimbob

WKR
I am upgrading my binos and probably waiting on a spotter as well. All my research points to Zeiss Conquest. I have no intention of going to Vortex and I don't see what the new companies offer over a proven name like Zeiss or Leica.

JLH208

WKR
Seems that the general consensus is get binos first. I intended to get a tripod for glassing regardless of what set up I went with, that will help in being stable. I will more than likely go with an 8x42 or 10x42. How do Maven binos compare to the Vortex Razers? When I purchase it some it will most likely be one of these two companies. Thank you for all the input!

Can't be of much help as I've never look through mavens but it seems like I hear some people say they were "better" than razors some people said they were "pretty close to razors. I've on compared my Razors to Swaro El and SLC and I think if the Maven guys compare them to Razors you could flip a coin. I'm still real happy with my Razors. Maven have a good warranty like the rest?

- Jesse

OP
mlawrence125

mlawrence125

Lil-Rokslider
Seems that their warranty is just as good as anyone else
336be72aaa7906a59e16f9b5795773d1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

kad11

WKR
I must be the weirdo here. I would rather have a nice spotter and crappy binos. Yes, you will use the binos more but a good spotter will save you hours and miles of hiking. The way I glass is mostly with a set of binos until I find game, then I put the spotter on it to see if it is worth chasing. After the morning has settled down it will be mostly spotter, looking for a flicker of an ear or antlers in the brush. I have found that during the first and last few minutes of the day a good spotter is necessary. If I were in your shoes I would stretch your budget a little and get some 10x42 Viper HDs and a 15-45x60 Viper HD spotter. You can upgrade later. These will serve you well.

I've taken a similar approach; I treat my binos like a tool but my spotter like an instrument.