Who is running there high dollar spotters naked?

FURMAN

WKR
Who is running their high dollar spotters naked?

I have had a Cabela's neoprene cover on my Swaro hd since it was new but I am considering ditching it to save the weight. Do the eyepiece covers stay on? Any other issues?

Last edited:

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to be able to sell the scope as near new but "used in box", leave the bikini on. If you're cool with your spotter wearing a character mark from hunts, pull it off. I don't like the bulk.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
I may be wrong but I just do not see myself selling this scope. There will be better(already is) but this is top of the line and I would rather save money for hunting. I never considered a sock for the backpack. I will have to consider that. I am open to other light weight protection.

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
No cover for me, but I've already made the decision that I'm content with my glass and don't plan on upgrading for a long time. If I was unsure if I was going keep and possibly sell then yea I would probably run a cover.

Definitely keep the lens covers though! I still use those as much as possible. The glass is the only thing that I would care about showing "character"

No cover over the scope in the pack. Sometimes put a King's Camo cover over it if quadding. I use a neoprene pop/beer can cover over the 20-60X eyepiece, held on with the sight tube in a slit I cut in the cover. The stock Swaro rubber eye piece cover never stayed on.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
Ya, that rubber eyepiece cover is what has me the most worried.

i just wrap it up in my pack,thought about cutting an old wetsuit up and making a wee cover, whatever you do , Don't paint it!!!!!!!!!!
LOL:cool:

I have an old Lorpen wool sock I pull over my Kowa 66 when it's in my pack. And of course the lens covers are on 100% when it's not sitting on my tripod.

Wrongside

WKR
I put B&Cs on mine, then wrapped it in that equine vet tape. Protects without being super bulky.

But mine is just a Razor... 😜

Tsnider

WKR
i need to figure out something for my razor. the eyepiece cap i lost on my first hike with it. ill end up taking the sock advice most likely, thats a good idea. ive been wrapping the shemaugh around it and stuffing it all in a pocket on my EMRii.

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
i need to figure out something for my razor. the eyepiece cap i lost on my first hike with it. ill end up taking the sock advice most likely, thats a good idea. ive been wrapping the shemaugh around it and stuffing it all in a pocket on my EMRii.

You might look into buying extra eye pieces from vortex. I bought extras for my binoculars (Leupold). I tether them now, but I have a few extras so if I do lose them I can grab another one when I get home and not worry about waiting. They were only a couple bucks if I remember right. I'll always do that now to make sure I can protect the glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLH208

WKR
Just lens caps when in pack, sometimes wrapped in puffy coat. If I cover it then it would be harder for people to see what it is/ harder for me to brag with it! Really I just don't mind the scratches and such on the body. I only care for the glass itself. I don't keep caps on my binos tho, they annoyed me and got lost a lot. Besides, that's why I tether them in an FHF harness instead of just hang em on an elastic Bino harness. Too time consuming to pull caps off as much as I pull them out. I did manage to put a mystery scratch in the glass tho, not sure what happened. The only issue with no caps in the FHF is dust. But just like the spotter, I try to hit them with a lens pen often. I know this is a no-no but I hate dusty glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
no covers. i like the smooth swooosh! when i yank them from the spotter sleeve of my pack. the neoprene glove is too grippy. bigger PIA inserting them back in.

the lens cap is a crap shoot. i am aware of it at all times. i usually comes off at the bottom of the sleeve pocket.

LaHunter

WKR
I keep a ScopeCoat neoprene cover on my Swaro spotter at all times. I don't mind the small amount of added wt and bulk for the protection that it provides. Also, the outer surface of the ScopeCoat slides easily into and out of the pocket on my pack where the spotter lives.
I kept a ScopeCoat on my Vortex Razor spotter, prior to my Swaro, and when I sold my Razor, it was literally in like new condition.