10x, 12x or 15x for glassing

Getting ready to purchase a pair of Binos which I plan to use on a tripod glassing for deer in California (mainly costal hills with oaks) and Idaho elk. I have a pair of Avg. 10x42 but was thinking of dumping them and getting a pair of the 12x vortex razors as happy medium. Most of the time, they will be hooked up to the tripod. Should I jump to the 15x and have them just for glassing on a tripod and carry the 10x on my chest or have the 12x on my chest which I can hook to tripod when fully glassing? New to the glassing game.

Also not looking for trophy just the best way to spot bucks bedding and locating elk for archery. No need to scope for gauging racks.

Thanks.

if your 10s are serviceable you could grab some good 15s to carry in your pack. They are phenomenal for picking apart huge chunks of country from one vantage point while you use your 10s for quick looks. Or dump your 10s for a couple hundred bucks to get into some good 12s for better field of view vs 15x and still be able to pick up some detail. I think its all preference and you'll have to figure out what works for you. Just don't go cheap and whatever you get put them on a tripod and I think you'll be happy.

I would not carry two binoculars! Step one, if your binos are only "serviceable" than get a great set of 10x42's. Improved glass clarity will gain you more than the additional magnification you would get from 12's or 15's. I have seen this happen too many times, people get higher magnification with not great glass and wonder why I can see things they can't even though I only have 10x42's.

If you want two optics then the standard Bino + Spotter is a better way to go.

I would not carry two binoculars! Step one, if your binos are only "serviceable" than get a great set of 10x42's. Improved glass clarity will gain you more than the additional magnification you would get from 12's or 15's. I have seen this happen too many times, people get higher magnification with not great glass and wonder why I can see things they can't even though I only have 10x42's.

If you want two optics then the standard Bino + Spotter is a better way to go.

Notice I said don't go cheap whatever you get. I'll find more animals with my Meopta 15x over my buddy with his swaro 10s every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Again, gonna depend on how you like to hunt. I like to get a good vantage point over a big canyon and get to work. 15s are the ticket there.

OP
C
Yeah I'm looking forward to the art of glassing. I don't get out a ton and don't really want to drop the coin on swaroskis given the little use. I'm hoping all the good reviews in vortex razors will suffice. Any other in betweens worth looking into as far as brand/model?

I'll pick up a pair of 12's and see how it goes.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
For my eyes, Euros (Meopta Meostars) are better than Razors, and you can find them on sale. As far as the two bino scenario, I am considering selling my 10x42s and my spotter, and getting 8x32's to wear on my chest, and 15x56's to carry in my pack.

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Meopta 12x50s and they are really good. I have some 10x42 vipers that I like but when I looked at the 12x50 razors they just didn't fit me as well. The eye cups didn't seem as comfortable. The Swaro 12x50s are nice I just couldn't justify the jump in price.

tttoadman

WKR
If you are not keying in on every trophy point but just a good quality animal, I would run a nice set of 10x42 on hand and tripod. Binos on a tripod are crystal clear a few miles away. That is good enough for me, so I would not be willing to carry another 3lbs of glass to handle.

OP
C
Thanks guys. Think I zeroing in on a nice set of slc 10x42 and start there for on the chest and tripod.

boom

WKR
If you are not keying in on every trophy point but just a good quality animal, I would run a nice set of 10x42 on hand and tripod. Binos on a tripod are crystal clear a few miles away. That is good enough for me, so I would not be willing to carry another 3lbs of glass to handle.

this.

10x on tripods are amazing to me. like watching HD TV. for me, it is the animal movement that i can catch the best. i cant see movement if i am moving as well. once i see a tail or ear flicker..my eye can catch the briefest glimpse..then game on.

flip side of the coin. an animal frozen and not moving is difficult to see. i dont know how many times i have found a beast..turn to flip a pebble silently at my brother's head to get his attention and turn back to the animal to find the critter is vanished..then frantic search search until i find it again. on a tripod there is the added benefit that the glass stays aimed in the general spot if you look away.

efnm

WKR
For my eyes, Euros (Meopta Meostars) are better than Razors, and you can find them on sale. As far as the two bino scenario, I am considering selling my 10x42s and my spotter, and getting 8x32's to wear on my chest, and 15x56's to carry in my pack.

I agree with everything here, right down to the meoptas.

JLH208

WKR
10x or 12x either way. I am very happy with my Razor 12x50s on my chest and tripod both. Off hand sometimes I wish I had 10x, and if I upgrade it will be EL 10x but for now I went same route as mentioned and found my happy medium because I didn't want 2 binos and the spotter isn't always the best for certain places and scenarios.

- Jesse

mcseal2

WKR
The tripod is the key, even 10x are so much more effective from a tripod. If I'm looking to go light or I'm elk hunting where both the animal and antlers are larger, I go with the 10x Leica HD-B binos and Nikon ED50 spotter. I still often pack 3lbs of tripod and head that will fit either. If I'm after muleys I pack the Leicas, Swaro STM65, and the guy I hunt with or I pack my 15x Swaros. If he wants to pack his Swaro 80mm spotter I'll pack the 15x binos, but mostly we just pack one spotter and the 15x between us.

I combine weight in some areas by having binos and rangefinder in one unit. My tripod is also my shooting rest with the Outdoorsmans rifle rest. The leg on my Promaster 525 can be my trekking pole or tarp support.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Glassing is definitely a skill you'll have to learn with practice. A quality pair of 10x42's will work really well for elk and mule deer. They are what I carry 99% of the time for big game. If you are going to be doing some particularly long-range glassing, the 15x's would be handy (particularly for Coues deer). And yes, the Razor's are fantastic (that's what I use). Swaro's are great too, but you will pay quite a bit more. Elk are much easier to spot, and if you want to see antler details at distance, you'll need a spotting scope.

Like other's have said, no need to carry two sets of binos. Better off picking up a spotting scope. Good luck!