Which binoculars are just step down from the best of the best?

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
I have found the Meoptas to be a great set of glass. I got the meopro. 8x42 for $455.00 off eBay new. I have Zeiss 10x42 and find both my binoculars to be great glass.

tttoadman

WKR
It makes sense to me to make upgrades, but not just jump to the top. I admit my eyesight is almost beyond human according to my brother, so maybe $500 vipers work for me where others may need more. By the time you get to mid level optics, it seems like you get decent resale, so that makes upgrading from mid to upper level pretty painless. If funds are not a real big issue buy big, but if it makes a difference between getting a tag or making a scouting trip, I would vote for the tag or a scouting trip.

ahawk116

FNG
+1 for the meoptas. I've been running Zeiss victories for 8 years or so that i picked up off eurooptic.com that were display models for 1400 bucks.

While that is the case my brother has the meostars and they are awesome. And right around that 1000 dollar range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TacticoolMike

Lil-Rokslider
Been reading through this thread and started researching the Meopta brand. From what I'm reading, the Meopro line (maybe others?) are made in the USA. Can anyone confirm that? There are a lot of companies who make great optics that are made in China but I'd definitely be more interested in buying something American or at least European made. Again, not knocking quality on a lot of Chinese made optics......just personal preference.

ljalberta

WKR
Been reading through this thread and started researching the Meopta brand. From what I'm reading, the Meopro line (maybe others?) are made in the USA. Can anyone confirm that? There are a lot of companies who make great optics that are made in China but I'd definitely be more interested in buying something American or at least European made. Again, not knocking quality on a lot of Chinese made optics......just personal preference.

They mention on the website that the Meopro line is assembled in America. I am not sure where the parts are manufactured. But as per the Meopta website, it sounds like probably the Czech Republic. I'm sure they'd be happy to answer if you give them a call.

Q: Where was my Meopta made?
A: All of our optics are made at our facilities in the Czech Republic and the U.S.A.

TacticoolMike

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks ljalberta, I guess I'm not used to many manufacturers posting that info in their faq, hah. Definitely looking at the Meopro lineup......

kicker338

WKR
For regular price I haven't found any glass noticeably better than the vortex diamond backs in the $500 and under range. I have a pr. of them as backups to my licia's. That said if you find high end ones for a bargain price go for it.

I've bought 3 sets of Leupold Gold Rings for $500 or under (each). Close to swaro/leica/zeiss view, for considerably less. I sold my 10x42 EL's and have 3 instead, with the money I sold my used swaro's for.....

IMG_1948_zpsy4skqutl.jpg

7stw

WKR
I really like my meopta (Cabelas euro hd) 10x40's a little heavy but damn nice glass. Can be bought for around 1k or sometimes less. I almost bought a set of mavens but decided I know what kind of warranty I get through Cabelas on their meopta branded stuff. In low light they hang with Swarovski slc's in my uneducated opinion. Looking through both I have no regrets. Check the bargain cave at Cabelas. My buddy picked up a set with warranty and box for ~750. Couldn't tell they've been used in the field. Matt cashell has some good articles over on the blog and was recently on the Avery podcast as well. Wealth of optic knowledge.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Zeiss conquest vs meopta meostar hd is this bracket

I bought my friend a pair of zeiss conquest hd and spent a week or two comparing them back and forth birding and then on an alpine Tahr and chamois hunt.

To my eyes the zeiss is a wee bit sharper colour wise and flatter field of view so first impressions the zeiss are better but after hours of them I feel the meostar have a more relaxed view through them. The zeiss is like when someone edits a picture on Instagram just a bit too much. The meopta she have Less glare, more true definition, and the natural fall off at the 95% percentile seems natural. Also they control veiling glare and flare better in both mine and my mates opinion.

I paid 670$ or so for both. In my opinion I'd take the zeiss if I was hand holding them a lot, the 3.5 oz weight difference and the shape of the barrels feels better. However, for long periods behind them on a tripod looking into shadows and the like I'd take the meostar hd.

My pick meostar hd by a hair.

Truth be told, I prefer the meostar hd over any other piece of glass. I'm borderline eyeglass wearer and the prescription of lenses meopta uses are most normal for my eyes.

Beendare

WKR
20 years ago I would've said there really is only three choices. Now I wouldn't pay fullbore for one of the big three binos- too many very good choices for less dough.

Its crucial you test outsidein low light as optics are such a personal preference. Some binos have an incredibly good edge to edge sharpness but it flattens the view at the same time. Some aren't as sharp on the edge but they give you a little more of a three dimensional view for lack of a better term... which is what i like as I think it helps me find animals. There is a good argument for both.

OP
R
Any one have any input on the Nikon monarch 7? Also, what am I looking for as a negatives when looking through glass? Having never looked through Sworovskis they all look very similar to me.. at least In the mid range. Outer edge dimming? Low light performance and image crispness obviously. A company that sells expensive glass said your paying a lot more for that last 10% increase in performance when you buy alpha glass.

WRO

WKR
Any one have any input on the Nikon monarch 7? Also, what am I looking for as a negatives when looking through glass? Having never looked through Sworovskis they all look very similar to me.. at least In the mid range. Outer edge dimming? Low light performance and image crispness obviously. A company that sells expensive glass said your paying a lot more for that last 10% increase in performance when you buy alpha glass.

Its a lot more than 10% imho, but it doesn't show itself until you're in the field.

That being said, the monarch 7's are probably the best under 500.00 glass I have played with..

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Its a lot more than 10% imho, but it doesn't show itself until you're in the field.

That being said, the monarch 7's are probably the best under 500.00 glass I have played with..

I spent most of my money on my 15's and used the rest on some Monarch 7's. I agree with WRO, under $500 there was no comparison. I compared them to everything from vortex except the razors, Leupold, Zeiss and busnell. Monarch 7's are solid binoculars.

WRO

WKR
I spent most of my money on my 15's and used the rest on some Monarch 7's. I agree with WRO, under $500 there was no comparison. I compared them to everything from vortex except the razors, Leupold, Zeiss and busnell. Monarch 7's are solid binoculars.
they have better edge to edge clarity than the razors imho.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
It seems to me what you get with the Monarch 7 is incredible lenses....but the bino construction is much less than the mag framed versions. Due to that, they will also be lighter. i'm not sure but those might be Japanese made...vs Chinese which DOES make a difference.