Anyone Use Sirui Tripods?

AlaskaEd

WKR
I have a photographer buddy who has a Sirui carbon fiber tripod he backpacks with. It's damn light and seems pretty solid. He has nothing bad to say about it, but has never used it with a spotting scope. I had never heard of them before, and may look to replace my Vortex Summit SS-P with one.

Jimbob

WKR
I have been researching tripods lately and came across a few guys here using Sirui. If you do a search for tripods you can find many threads about guys discussing what they use. I think the 1205x or something is what most guys are using.

twall13

WKR
I don't have one of their tripods but will likely purchase one in the future. They make good gear at a decent price. I do use a Sirui K-10x ball head and really like it for glassing with binos and camera use. They have a variety of different heads but many of them should handle a large spotter without issue. I personally like their heads to keep everything in my system arca swiss compatible. If I had a spotter I might consider an Outdoorsman's panhead but for my current uses a ball head works well.

I recently bought a T-0025x to strip down and use as a seated only ultralight option. I would not recommend it for anything beyond that. The pedestal is not adjustable and it does not compare in steadiness to my promaster XC 525c.

Ozz08

WKR
I've been using their carbon fiber 1204 something or other and k20 ball head or over 2 years now. It's been a pretty darn nice setup. The tripod came in at the exact listed weight (1.8 lbs if I remember correctly) and it's solid as a rock. The ball head is a little on the heavy side but it is smooth to operate and has a panning feature that works pretty well. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the packed size. It doesn't collapse down very well at all but I kind of knew that going in since I got the 4 section legs vs the 5 section. If I had to do it again I'd go with the 5 section legs and probably a lighter head but at the time I got it for a screaming price for the package from amazon. I'm happy with it.

Boreal

WKR
I used a Sirui 1204x with the Manfrotto 700RC2 head. It's solid, and lightweight. I put the short center column on it because I never extend the center column. Comfortable from seated to standing position. The carbon is great in the cold, doesn't freeze your hands. The head is somewhat larger than I was expecting. Took the extended handle off and it still is very easy to control. No regrets about mine.

bbrown

WKR
Been using the T-1005x for a couple years now - it's been solid and a very good value for an aluminum tripod. They offer the same design in carbon (T-1205x I think) it's like $150 more but saves .4lbs. I did a few mods to mine and shaved off a few ounces getting it close to 2lbs. I have looked several times at spending more money on a different set of legs but always come back to the minimal savings aren't worth the added cost.

For carbon tripods I think the Slik 624/634 are hard to beat for the cost.

Last edited:
OP
A

AlaskaEd

WKR
Thanks for the inputs. The one I checked out is the T-024X. According to B&H online it weighs 2.1 lbs. I did see the T-025X in the store and didn't like how the center column isn't collapsible.

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
They make good tripods. The one thing I'll say is if you buy, make sure it's from a authorized dealer, and keep the receipt. Their customer service is strict to say the least.

Beendare

WKR
I've got the little taller one- 2.2# I think...not sure the model cost me about $250. Its rock solid with big binos and a 65mm spotter if you don't raise the center post all the way up.

I haven't compared it side by side to the Slik CF tripods...but I have to the slik sprint alu model....it is much better, IMO.