Discontinued Trinovids Vs Ultravid HD

Looking at replacing my Meostar HD's, they have been fantastic but just wanting something a bit trimmer and lighter. I see the discontinued Trinovid's compare quite well to the Ultravid HD's. I would like this upgrade to be to alpha glass and have been impressed with the Ultravid HD's from my brief time with them, just curious if it is worth the extra cost over the old Trinovid's..

AGPank

WKR
I've owned the Meostar 10x42hd and my wife has 8x32 hd Cabelas instinct.

I really like Meopta glass. I did sell my 10x42 HD for the 2012-2015 Trinovid 10x42.

I did this mainly because I always wanted a pair of Leicas. I really like them and although I didn't compare them side by side I don't think I gained optical performance. The Trinovid doesn't handle CA as well. I do like many things better, lighter, slightly smaller, better aesthetics, great Leica image, better focus knob, better diopter adjustment.

I also have 12x50 Ultravid Hd. These do a better job with the CA. Excellent glass.

If you are looking to upgrade your Meostar, look at others side by side before selling. I think it's going to be hard for a significant upgrade over your Meostars. Decide what improvements are important and how much $ it's worth to you.

Shop around, you may find for EL SV or Ultravid HD+ on sale. Leica UHD+ users may be selling to upgrade to the new Noctovid.

OP
P
Thanks AG - that was pretty much the information I was looking for regarding the discontinued Trinovid's. I am looking at moving away from the Meostar's for the same reason's that you did, the glass itself never left me wanting. Sounds like I would get what I am looking for with the ergo's of the discontinued Trinovids but would be sacraficing a bit on the performance of the glass.

Would you put your Ultravid HD's glass on par with the Meostar's or a step up?

AGPank

WKR
To be honest I didn't view them side by side. You may find more in depth Leica reviews on birdforum.com.

For me i really like the image through Leicas. Feels like very true color representation.

bakyrd831

WKR
Euro optics has them for 899$ just picked up a pair. I've got to say that I love the image threw the leica, great bright image and when looking threw them they just feel easy on the eyes I cant really explain it.

OP
P
Well, ended up picking up the Ultravid HD's, as AG suggested was able to compare side by side with the Meostar's. For my eyes the Ultravids are better but not by a heck of alot. I honestly appreciate the Meostar's after putting them side by side with the alpha glass. I cant imagine needing any better glass than the Meostars but always wanted a pair of Leica's and prefer the ergo's and weight of the Ultravid's and the image color is fantastic.

kravguy

WKR
Euro optics has them for 899$ just picked up a pair. I've got to say that I love the image threw the leica, great bright image and when looking threw them they just feel easy on the eyes I cant really explain it.

You got a link to this? I don't see it on their site anywhere. Just the newer version.

Whitetailkiller80

Lil-Rokslider
I have a brand new pair of 2012 model Trinovids never used 10x42, I found a receipt finally for year bought and they are pre HD models. I bought in 2014 if anyone interested pm me they are the ones folks seek

Last edited:

glassman

FNG
It is a nice glass, it compares well with others priced higher. The build quality is a step above the new HD Trinovids.

Andy W.

I had examples of both the Trinovid non-HD and the Ultravid HD at the same time, I preferred the
Ultravid HD, it was brighter to me
That Trinovid was like the older Ultravid BR the original non-HD one.

I also had the new Trinovid HD and in my 3 way opinion, I would pick them in this order.

Ultravid HD
New Trinovid HD
Non-HD Trinovid