Swarovski Z8i 2.3-18x56 vs. Nightforce ATACR Enhanced 5-25x56

Cody_W

WKR
Hey guys,

I'm curious to what some of y'all with field experience with these scopes would suggest on which would be better for my application. I'll be running the scope on a 300 win mag as a primary hunting rifle. it will be my 1200yd and under gun. i know the Nightforce has more adjustment capabilities, but i just LOVE the Swaro glass clarity. I can't vouch for the Nightforce as I've only looked through the NXS. Swaro has never done anything less than impress me with their products, but I hear nothing but good things on Nightforce but not sold over the Swaro. I'll be either running the BRX-I with the ballistics turrets or the MOAR-T.

Thanks guys,
Cody

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
If the Z8i is like the Z3 and Z5, you get a 1 revolution on the turret, which limits your range. I just looked that the BTF option and it looks like it has the same limitation. There might be 3rd party turrets that remove the restriction. The max elevation adjustment is 64.8 on the Swaro vs 120 (or more) MOA on the ATACR. With a 0 MOA rail, cut that in half for approximate usable range. To his 1 mile on my 300WM Cooper, I need ~70 MOA of travel in the scope and ~34 MOA for 1200 yards.

I have two of the 1st gen ATACR 5-25 scopes and I love them. The glass is amazing and the MOAR-T reticle is perfect (for me). Pick a high MOA rail (I've got a 40MOA rail on my 7mm) and you can get an amazing amount of adjustability. Some go as far as 60 or 65MOA on the rail.

I also prefer the flexibility of the Zero Stop on the Nightforce. I set mine to allow 2-3 MOA of travel below 0. Most others can't do this.

Either option will give you edge-to-edge clarity on the glass. I don't there you would be disappointed with either from a glass standpoint. The ATACR is a good jump up in quality from the NSX.

For 1200 yards, both will serve you if you get a 20 or 30MOA rail, use a 40MOA rail and you can get more out of the NightForce.

-David

Take a look at the Kahles K624i scope with the AMR reticle.

I've got these on both of my longer range hunting rifles. (Sold my Nightforce scopes.) Stellar glass, relatively light weight for the magnification and tube size, and terrific all around quality.