Favorite camera for backpack hunting?

Boreal

WKR
For those of you who use a camera besides the one on your smartphone, which camera do you like for backcountry trips? My DSLR is too big for me to want to carry any more, and my digital point and shoot are old enough that they are not doing the trick. My dad uses a Panasonic Lumix with a 25-600 integrated lens, but it's nearly the size of a DSLR. So what do you look for in a backcountry camera? Do you have any favorites? Do you use them for digiscoping or do you use your smartphone?

Thanks!

ianpadron

WKR
Go Pros take AWESOME pics and they're tiny, especially the new HERO 5 Black.

My gf has a Nikon D5500 and the GoPro hangs right with it.

I'll be using it for my hunts going forward. 4k video too...tough to beat IMO.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Daniel_M

WKR
Olympus TG 2, 3 & 4 have been my go-to cameras for quite a while now. The F2.0 wide angle lens is excellent for digiscoping and can easily be adapted to most spotters. 4K video, wifi capable, IOS device control to name a few features.

Link

And the latest TG-5

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I just ordered the new TG5 waiting for it to be in stock but my pre order is in. Cant wait to use it. We had all of our Electronics 7000$ worth dropped into the ocean on our vacation so we lost everything but they took care of us on it while there we were loaned a TG4 and loved it. So I am super excited about the TG5. Point and shoot in raw is pretty slick. It takes very nice photos. But Im no expert.

Tsnider

WKR
a6000 because its cheap and awesome, minus the battery life. but my solar setup will mostly take care of that issue as ill charge it every night.

i also carry a gopro hero 4 black. they are indeed awesome but only for something thats 20 feet or closer. if you want cool video of say, a bear playing in the field 75 yards out, its not even worth trying to capture with a gopro.

Tsnider

WKR
I just ordered the new TG5 waiting for it to be in stock but my pre order is in. Cant wait to use it. We had all of our Electronics 7000$ worth dropped into the ocean on our vacation so we lost everything but they took care of us on it while there we were loaned a TG4 and loved it. So I am super excited about the TG5. Point and shoot in raw is pretty slick. It takes very nice photos. But Im no expert.

how in the holy **** did they drop 7000 in electronics into the water? a helicopter ride?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
how in the holy **** did they drop 7000 in electronics into the water? a helicopter ride?

Was being loaded on the ferry and they dropped it in the ocean between dock and boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Boreal

Boreal

WKR
Was being loaded on the ferry and they dropped it in the ocean between dock and boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That hurts! I've seen it happen more than once, though. I worked as a deckhand on small cruise ships in AK. Saw a woman drop her brand new video camera over the side while trying to film porpoises on the bow wave. Upside is that she saw Alaska in something more than a 1x1 inch viewfinder.

I've used earlier versions of the Olympus Tough camera. Really liked it, might have to look at that TG5.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I really like the Sony RX100 series cameras and personally use the Canon G7X. I think either one of them are really hard to beat in a point and shoot.

bobhunts

WKR
I too like my Sony RX 100. But I like my Panasonic lumix of the same kind of camera a bit better due to it having more zoom. About a month ago a bought another Panasonic ..but bigger with an external mic. That one is the FZ-1000 and will film in 1080p or 4k. Gonna give a try at doing motion films while hunting. It is really light and has good zoom.

Hi. Hope I can help with this. We sell tons of cameras to members of the various hunting and outdoors forums. The best bet in my opinion is the Sony DSC-HX80. It is small, has wifi, a real Zeiss lens, 30x optical zoom, a viewfinder (rare in small cameras these days), image stabilization and full 1080 HD video.
Email me at [email protected] if you have any questions.

On backpacking trips, I just take the iPhone. The iPhone 7 with a Phoneskope attachment for digiscoping (Swaro spotter) and bluetooth remote shutter sure offer a lot of photo options and the results can be very good.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a Panasonic TS3. I just got back from Alaska bear hunting. I have gone from using it 100% of the time to almost never. My iPhone takes great pics, video, digiscoping. It's crazy; I take a video camera, point and shoot, action cams, and all that gets used 95% of the time is my iPhone in its otter box.

LaGriz

WKR
+1 on the Olympus.

Have the T-3 with a Tines Up adaptor that fits my Swaro spotter. I need to train myself in the features of this camera. Like most older guys I have a poor grip of digital Tec. Don't use the Wi Fi or the GPS feature, so that probably helps the battery life. Great camera in my opinion.

LaGriz

colonel00

WKR
For me, it's all about what you want to get out of the photos. Kind of like what is discussed here. If your just looking for a camera to take some landscape photos and hopefully some trophy pics, then just use a cellphone or a Gopro will do too. Especially if you just want the photos to share with friends and post online for people to see.

I'm still a sucker that will haul in my DSLR and a couple lenses because I want more out of photo than just what a phone can do but that's me.

dotman

WKR
There are some pretty cool phone apps that allow one to shoot in the raw format even if you want to improve them but I have to agree that phone camera are every bit as good as most point and shoot cameras.