Leica 1600-R/2000-B/Kilo 2200MR: Angle vs. True Horizontal Range? And other questions

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to find information on exactly what the Leica 1600-R and Sig Kilo 2200MR provide in terms of angle vs. true horizontal distance to target. Does each provide both?

Thank you for the help - I'm in the middle of attempting to choose a range finder that can reliably range deer at ~800m, and my current choices are between the Leica 2000-B, Leica 1600-R, and Sig Kilo 2200MR. I don't need ballistics table features (would rather use a dedicated device or app for that), so the 2000-B's ballistics features really aren't what I'd consider "value-added" for my particular wants at this moment in time.

I'm a little afraid of the Sig rangefinders, reading here and there that they seem to be hit-or-miss.

Any opinions founded in experience are welcomed. Are there any rangefinder options that I'm currently leaving outside of my consideration? I.e., any 'new hotness' that I've missed the word on?

Thank you.

I am also looking to upgrade. All I need is 500 yard solid hit on non-reflective targets. Nothing fancy. Seriously considering the Vortex after reading lots of reviews.

OP
R

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
I'd ruled the Bushnell CONX combo out based solely on the fact that they only claim that deer can be ranged out to 600yds, but I heard that this was a CYA move by Bushnell. Does anyone know of any truth behind this? It seems like a little unlikely, in my opinion, that they'd make a marketing move like that, being that their competitors all seem to over-estimate they're own ranging capabilities (i.e., Vortex, Sig, etc. claiming that they can range deer out to 1000-1200yds or something like that).

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'd ruled the Bushnell CONX combo out based solely on the fact that they only claim that deer can be ranged out to 600yds, but I heard that this was a CYA move by Bushnell. Does anyone know of any truth behind this? It seems like a little unlikely, in my opinion, that they'd make a marketing move like that, being that their competitors all seem to over-estimate they're own ranging capabilities (i.e., Vortex, Sig, etc. claiming that they can range deer out to 1000-1200yds or something like that).

The Sig 2000 and 2400 will range deer at 1200 yds in some conditions.

To the OP, I would go with the Sig for sure. It will do all you are asking for with ease and you won't be disappointed. Check out my full review of the Kilo 2000 here. SIG SAUER KILO2000 Rangefinder Review

This is a photo through my Kilo 2400 from last week in Idaho.

287315903f6454fe3e1d4ca2c363d3ef.jpg

OP
R

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
Mr. Crossley,

If the 2000 and 2400 will range deer at 1200yds in "some conditions", what would be your assessment of their ability to range deer in all conditions but the most extreme at 800m-900m?

OP
R

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
Any info on relative reticle sizes between the Sig 2200 and the Leicas, specifically the 2000 and 1600?

There seems to just not be a whole lot of real, specific information about rangefinders out there on the internet.

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
I have the CONX and think its the best for your money by far. The farthest I have ranged deer/cows has been 800 yards. Trees are out to about 1200. You can put three custom curves for rifles in it and it works slick. My cousin has the BR2 so we use them side by side all the time. The BR2 is better but not twice the price better. The BR2 has ranged deer out to 1000 but how often are people really shooting that far being honest? The housings are pretty much identical as well. CONX takes one extra step of using Shooter or something similar to get your curve and then its set for the trip unless the weather changes drastically.

I have used the Leica 1600-B, which is just a more ballistic bells and whistles version of the 1600-R. The beam divergence on the Leica for the average consumer is phenomenal! I have ranged very small targets out to 1,100 yards. Ranging a deer is very effective since deer/elk/antelope are usually 4 times the size of the targets I range when I long range compete.

I hear good things about the Sig Kilo but the problem is it catches other things you do not want, like the bush, or the hillside.

One word of advise, if you can mount the range finder on something, like a tripod or something, then it will increase the effectiveness by 5 fold!

Good luck.

skierhs

WKR
I have the 1600-R. I absolutely love it. The glass is extremely clear. I have ranged mountain goats at over 800 yards without any issue. I have not streched it much farther then that at the time. I would highly recomend it, it is extremely simple and fast to use.

OP
R

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have experience with the Bushnell Conx relative to the others I've asked about in this thread? I'm really at a standstill in my decision making process, there's such a lack of head to head comparisons on these things.

I'm deliberating over the Bushnell Conx, the sig kilo 2200, and the Leica 1600-r. I've even considered a set of rangefinding binoculars, also Bushnell.

OP
R

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
***Also posted this in the thread of similar nature in the Long Range Hunting sub-forum***

Update: ended up going with a Sig Kilo 2200MR and was doing some informal testing of it at the beach this weekend. So far, I'm a little skeptical about how it is going to perform on deer in the 700-800yd range.

I was ranging mainly things like houses, water towers, water, grass hold, bushes, i.e, things that I would have thought would have given much better returns than furry animals the size of a deer.

I was able to get returns inconsistently out to maybe 1500yds on water towers and sometimes out to 900 on houses. Lighting conditions for this were in the mid to late afternoon.

One caveat is that it was super duper humid. I don't know if this adversely affects LRFs, nor if that was the issue with this one having such inconsistent performance, but that was always part of the environment I was ranging in. It was always right at 90-97% humidity, but never rained.

Allot of the readings from the sides and roofs of shingles houses simply read "----".

WRO

WKR
***Also posted this in the thread of similar nature in the Long Range Hunting sub-forum***

Update: ended up going with a Sig Kilo 2200MR and was doing some informal testing of it at the beach this weekend. So far, I'm a little skeptical about how it is going to perform on deer in the 700-800yd range.

I was ranging mainly things like houses, water towers, water, grass hold, bushes, i.e, things that I would have thought would have given much better returns than furry animals the size of a deer.

I was able to get returns inconsistently out to maybe 1500yds on water towers and sometimes out to 900 on houses. Lighting conditions for this were in the mid to late afternoon.

One caveat is that it was super duper humid. I don't know if this adversely affects LRFs, nor if that was the issue with this one having such inconsistent performance, but that was always part of the environment I was ranging in. It was always right at 90-97% humidity, but never rained.

Allot of the readings from the sides and roofs of shingles houses simply read "----".

Put a new battery in it, the stock batteries can cause issues.

OP
R

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
Ah ok. Will definitely try this.

Also, I'm definitely not in the same universe as being ready to write it off; the conditions I was testing it in were pretty extreme for rangefinder, as I understand it, and definitely not like the conditions of actually be using it in.

mcseal2

WKR
I have used the Leica 1600-B, which is just a more ballistic bells and whistles version of the 1600-R. The beam divergence on the Leica for the average consumer is phenomenal! I have ranged very small targets out to 1,100 yards. Ranging a deer is very effective since deer/elk/antelope are usually 4 times the size of the targets I range when I long range compete.

I hear good things about the Sig Kilo but the problem is it catches other things you do not want, like the bush, or the hillside.

One word of advise, if you can mount the range finder on something, like a tripod or something, then it will increase the effectiveness by 5 fold!

Good luck.

I use the Geovid HD-B 10x42 bino/rangefinder. I glass with it off a tripod an awful lot, and I love that if I see a critter I can lock it down and range him. You are right about it being more effective. I'll always range a critter that might be a shooter before taking the binos off the tripod and going to the spotter to evaluate him better just in case.

ElkNut1

WKR
I picked up the Sig 2200, pretty excited to test run it, 1st day out I hit 1190 yards & in. 2nd day out it froze up at 631 yards, no matter what I did it would not range over that. I was bummed after having such high hopes! Talked to a Sig Rep, he said send it in to the Oregon facility & they'd send a new one back! We'll see how that works!

ElkNut1