1st Swaro's - Questions

FlyGuy

WKR
I just purchased my 1st pair of (2nd hand) Swarovski binos, a cherry pair of 2011 8x32 Els for $1100 that should arrive in a few days. I feel like a kid at Christmas waiting for them to come in. Going to be a nice upgrade from my old vortex talons! I know there are a ton of Swaro owners/fans on Rokslide, so I'm sure you can understand my excitement!

Regarding the warranty, the seller never registered them. Warranty card is still in the included owners manual. I'm assuming that I won't have any trouble registering them, even though I don't know when/where they were originally purchased, but if there are any tricks to this that I should be aware of please let me know.

Secondly, My plan is to immediately send them in for service even though I can't see anything in the pictures that had me concerned. I assume this is standard procedure for used swaros?

My biggest hesitation to buying EL's is the Swaro tripod mount (platform with strap). So, as soon as i get them back from Swaro, I want to send them back off to have a quick release mount installed. I only know of two companies that have this, outdoorsmans and KDC. The KDC stud looks to protrude slightly less, which I like, but hard to say for sure. Both appear to be solid systems. Would love to hear opinions from experienced users of either system.

I like the super lightweight KDC tripod system which I am considering adding to my elk hunting kit, and I believe they are also Rokslide sponsors (I know I saw a thread earlier today about an exclusive sale they were running for rokslide members) so I guess I'm leaning a little bit that way. But, I've seen some old threads in the past questioning the KDC stud mount voiding the Swaro warranty? If that is infact the case I may have to go the other way. Can anyone clarrify?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I sent my ELs to outdoorsmans and they pressed the stud in. I really am liking it.. great quality and build. I don't know if this is for sure, but I once hear they were the only ones that could do it without voiding the warrant in some way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd give Swarovski​ customer service a call with your questions. They have always been quick to answer all my questions

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

robie

WKR
Not sure there is a need to register. Just call customer service and tell them you bought a pair second hand and you want to send them in. I've been honest with them abs they have been great to work with. I've offered to but parts mine were missing they just shipped them to me.

Just a heads up for next time you can send them a serial number and they will verify it hasn't been stolen.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
Won't be a problem getting it registered. I have the Outdoorsmans stud and really like it. There are a few that have had the kdc installed and I don't remember hearing of any complaints.

AGPank

WKR
You can register Swarovski online too. Warranty / service work can be setup online. This gives you online updates that aren't available if you call in.

The 8x32 are pretty stable off hand. Leupold makes a strap style adapter for under $20 that is a good option too with no modifications. Not sure when you are going hunting, but schedule things out before you send them in. 6-8 week for service and if you send them in for a stud hunting season will sneak up on you quick.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I called Swarovski 3 or 4 days ago about some used SLC's I bought from somebody. They looked up the serial number and said they were registered to that person. They said they would call the person to get the registration transferred to my name. I guess they do that to make sure they weren't stolen. Give them a call they are good to work with.

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'll call them this week. They should arrive on Thursday. I've already been thinking about the schedule. Was hoping to get them to Swaro and back before my one and only scouting trip in late July/early August. Then off to get the stud installed and back before flying out on my elk hunt (drew WY, unit 11, type 9) on Sept 10. Tight schedule, but hoping it will all work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
Just an update. I talked to SONA today and was able to get this baby registered in my name (the were still unregistered as seller stated). Will be shipping them out today for a clean and check. Turnaround time is running ~ 6 weeks for them right now. Great customer service. I asked about the KDC/Kramer tripod stud and the Warranty, and he said he would have to look into it and get back to me; but did confirm outdoorsmans was approved. Once I get an official update from them I'll update the thread.

Btw, it sounded like a few of you may have been concerned that these may have been stolen. I think the reason I got them for that price was simply b/c of the way they were listed on eBay: "Swarovskioptik" (no space). They only came up in my search b/c I use "8x32 EL" as my criteria. Anyway, I was the only bidder and I got them for the starting bid price. But, that is very good advice to double check the serial number with SONA before buying. Not only are they checking to see if they were reported missing or stolen, but they also check to verify that they were originally sold by a licenced Swaro distributor. That was something I hadn't thought of.

Again, I appreciate all the help!

dotman

WKR
Actually you paid what I would consider current market price for a non Swarovision model, considering you can get the latest 8x32 el demo's for around $1500-$1600 if you shop around long enough.

Can't remember if 2011 had Swarovision but if so you got a good deal, sometimes good deals just happen :)

Clarktar

WKR
What is the going rate for used 12x50 els (swarovision)?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ckleeves

WKR
Actually you paid what I would consider current market price for a non Swarovision model, considering you can get the latest 8x32 el demo's for around $1500-$1600 if you shop around long enough.

Can't remember if 2011 had Swarovision but if so you got a good deal, sometimes good deals just happen :)

I don't think the 32mm EL's had swarovision until 2012 but I'm not sure either. I think your dead on with your value assessment. Non SV 1000-1200 on the used market. If they are SV then 1100.00 was a great deal.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I did a post on a set of 2007 EL 10x42 I bought for 1000$ on Craigslist same experience you had registered them and sent in for cleaning and refurbish smokin deals out there on great glass just have to be patient to find them. Now the wait to get them back. I'm using the Leica universal Bino holder that I like a lot and plan to use. I already owned the 8x30 CL so the 10's will be a great upgrade I plan to keep both.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Swarovision came out in 2010 I believe for the entire EL lineup

ckleeves

WKR
Swarovision came out in 2010 I believe for the entire EL lineup

They did the 42mm series first, then the 50mm series and then the 32mm series last I'm pretty sure. I only know this because I bought a pair of 10x32 when they first hit the market and the 42's had been out for awhile.

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
Well, that stinks. I was under the impression that they converted all the EL's in 2010, so being as these were 2011 models I figured they had everything short of the field pro pkg. Still, not a bad deal I guess, but certainly not as nice of one as I thought.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
2012 for the 32mm series. Nice snag OP!

Yeah I was going off what Swarovski told me in an email

1. Since the release of the EL line back in 2000 There have been a total of 3 major changes or versions.
2. The first generation didn’t have HD glass but it was very close. It also didn’t have a fast focus mechanism that eventually changed in 2004. In 2006 we came out with Easy to Clean outer coating. In 2010 we redesigned the entire line and called it the EL Swarovision, the major changes were field flattener lenses for edge to edge clarity, bigger eyepieces for more eye relief, a closer focus up to 4.9ft., All new rubber armor coatings, and True HD glass. In 2015 we made the Swarovision line even better and called it the field pro. We basically improved every accessory that people complained about. The major changes were a new and easier neck strap system, a locking diopter, hinged objective covers, all new field bag, neckstrap, and covers. There was also a change to the rubber armored coating.
3. Swarobright is a prism mirror anti reflective coating optimizes color transmission to 95%, Swarodur is a scratch resistant coating, Swarotop anti reflective coating which allows more light to be transmitted. Swaroclean allows for easy removal and cleaning of tree resin or mineral residue from the lens. Swarovision is an optical system, HD Glass, Field flattener lenses, Extended eye relief and all the coatings make up Swarovision. Field Pro Package is the new accessory upgrade.