Help with vortex scopes

Rwbrew3

WKR
Hoping to get some help from the experts, i am a bow hunter and never been really big into optics, other than my thermals for hog/predators.

I am looking at getting a vortex for my tikka t3 308, I've seen a few for sale but i have no clue on which one is better. I plan to hunt bear,deer,hog and predators at ranges from 50-500 yards, and maybe plink out to a thousand.

I don't want to spend a lot of money cause it will not get much use but when i do use it i want something i can count on.

There are 3 in the classifieds all under 400 but like i said, no clue... any help will be much appreciated...

Thanks
Rick

mdfanatic

FNG
I would check out a Leupold for that price range. Check ebay. You can get new ones for less than retail.

wjarrell

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 Viper HSLR 4-16x44 and I like them a lot. Capped windage turret 1/4 MOA and exposed elevation turret 1/2 MOA. I have one on my 7mm Rem Mag and one of a custom 260 Rem and they have performed well. I have taken both out to the yardages you posted and all tract good. Bought the first one at Sportsmans Warehouse for 400 and the second one on Cabelas for 350. My next scope for my lite pack gun in .308 will probably be the new Diamondback HP in 3-12x42.

OP
Rwbrew3

Rwbrew3

WKR
I would check out a Leupold for that price range. Check ebay. You can get new ones for less than retail.

Appreciate the tip sir, im just not a eBay guy, im sure there are deals to be had but i just like to deal with the hunting community.

OP
Rwbrew3

Rwbrew3

WKR
I have 2 Viper HSLR 4-16x44 and I like them a lot. Capped windage turret 1/4 MOA and exposed elevation turret 1/2 MOA. I have one on my 7mm Rem Mag and one of a custom 260 Rem and they have performed well. I have taken both out to the yardages you posted and all tract good. Bought the first one at Sportsmans Warehouse for 400 and the second one on Cabelas for 350. My next scope for my lite pack gun in .308 will probably be the new Diamondback HP in 3-12x42.

Thanks for the break down, i am going to put this scope on top of my Tikka T3 and don't want to add a lot of weight,
There is a viper HS 4x16x44 bdc, or a 6.5-20x50 I'm seeing now... of the two which would be the better scope?

A 4x16x44 will be your lighter choice and the 6x20x50 will probably get you a better picture out further. I really don't know what the weight difference would be though.
both are very capable of 500 yd shots.
I personally have the HS-LR and the PST line of vortex scopes. I believe the HS , "Hunting Scope" will be just fine for what you want.

I also have some Leupolds and either scope is a good choice for what you are seeking.

wjarrell

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the break down, i am going to put this scope on top of my Tikka T3 and don't want to add a lot of weight,
There is a viper HS 4x16x44 bdc, or a 6.5-20x50 I'm seeing now... of the two which would be the better scope?

For what you want to do I would pick the 4-16x44. Either one is good but you don't need a 20x scope for 500 yard big game hunting.

OP
Rwbrew3

Rwbrew3

WKR
A 4x16x44 will be your lighter choice and the 6x20x50 will probably get you a better picture out further. I really don't know what the weight difference would be though.
both are very capable of 500 yd shots.
I personally have the HS-LR and the PST line of vortex scopes. I believe the HS , "Hunting Scope" will be just fine for what you want.

I also have some Leupolds and either scope is a good choice for what you are seeking.

Really appreciate you input, thanks for taking the time !

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 6-24x50 (half) and 4-16x50 (I think pst) both viper's in first focal plane. I shoot both regularly out to 600 yds (that's the longest local range) The sight picture on the 6-24 is nicer but it is a lot bigger scope. I'd go with the 4-16x44 in a heartbeat for your 308.

OP
Rwbrew3

Rwbrew3

WKR
For what you want to do I would pick the 4-16x44. Either one is good but you don't need a 20x scope for 500 yard big game hunting.

Appreciate it, you think 1000 yard targets would be douable with the 4-16x44. Not that I'm going to do it all the time, just wondering, i have a 1000yard shooting range and it would be fun to plink at if i can see it...

Last edited:
OP
Rwbrew3

Rwbrew3

WKR
I have a 6-24x50 (half) and 4-16x50 (I think pst) both viper's in first focal plane. I shoot both regularly out to 600 yds (that's the longest local range) The sight picture on the 6-24 is nicer but it is a lot bigger scope. I'd go with the 4-16x44 in a heartbeat for your 308.

Great response, so that's 3 people saying the same. I think i will throw him a offer, he is asking 410 but I've seen some in the 350 range. I'm not sure if this is good or bad, a new one from vortex may be the way to go for a few extra $$

OP
Rwbrew3

Rwbrew3

WKR
Should i go BDC or VPlex reticle, I don't reload and i am far from being a competition shooter...

Is one better than another, will i grow into one or out of the other ? The one online has the bdc, covered and scope rings included the $410, optic plante has them brand new for $350, what to do ???

As it is Vortex new vs used isn't as big a deal. Reason I say that is they are great with their warranties and they are for the life of the scope and transfer with the scope. I would focus more on the price and ease of purchase/shipping.

You mentioned not being a competition shooter nor a reloader. Neither of these things really should impact your reticle decision. If you want good dope you will want to chronograph the ammo you select regardless of factory vs reload. If you want to get to the point that you can quickly hold for wind calls at distance, which with a .308 wind is a major factor at 500 yards, you will want a reticle with some markings on the horizontal axis.

OP
Rwbrew3

Rwbrew3

WKR
As it is Vortex new vs used isn't as big a deal. Reason I say that is they are great with their warranties and they are for the life of the scope and transfer with the scope. I would focus more on the price and ease of purchase/shipping.

You mentioned not being a competition shooter nor a reloader. Neither of these things really should impact your reticle decision. If you want good dope you will want to chronograph the ammo you select regardless of factory vs reload. If you want to get to the point that you can quickly hold for wind calls at distance, which with a .308 wind is a major factor at 500 yards, you will want a reticle with some markings on the horizontal axis.

That's some good advice, i just looked at a HS T that look way to complicated for me to ever fully understand. I think i will go with the BDC and I fully agree with vortex warranty, i have a few sets of binoculars from them kinda why I was looking at there scopes!

Is the 4x16x50 a better choice ?

wjarrell

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate it, you think 1000 yard targets would be douable with the 4-16x44. Not that I'm going to do it all the time, just wondering, i have a 1000yard shooting range and it would be fun to plink at if i can see it...

If you're not gonna be doing it all the time 16x will get the job done.

At that range it is the quality of the glass and not so much the magnification that will matter. I generally run at 12 or 15 and shoot out to 1,350. But if it is just for fun then I say 16 power should be fine, also depends on the size of the target, if you are shooting 2 MOA or less it maybe a bit small but if you are shooting at something larger than 30" you should be fine.

OP
Rwbrew3

Rwbrew3

WKR
At that range it is the quality of the glass and not so much the magnification that will matter. I generally run at 12 or 15 and shoot out to 1,350. But if it is just for fun then I say 16 power should be fine, also depends on the size of the target, if you are shooting 2 MOA or less it maybe a bit small but if you are shooting at something larger than 30" you should be fine.

Awesome, thanks for you knowledge and taking the time to answer a few questions.

Looks like I'm going to go with the 16

OP
Rwbrew3

Rwbrew3

WKR
Thanks for All the help and info - needing more advice,

Vortex viper with bdc 4-16x44 or 40mm
Or
Minox 3-15x50 ZA HS 5i

I'm undecided of the two

wjarrell

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for All the help and info - needing more advice,

Vortex viper with bdc 4-16x44 or 40mm
Or
Minox 3-15x50 ZA HS 5i
I'm undecided of the two
No experience with Minox but Vortex doesn't offer a Viper in 4-16x40 configuration.