Leica Noctivid vs. Swarovski EL, by Steve Osminski

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Steve, where did you get those adapters for the old trinovids?

Those are all from Jim White. That's the original binocular mounting system I went with in the late 90s...He may have been the pioneer of that kind of stuff. He made a great tripod head as well. Outdoorsmans used to sell his stuff and so did the lady that ran Coues Whitetail.com. Sadly he died a couple years ago.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Steve......I didn't explain myself very well in an earlier post. I've seen the FOV for the Noctivid listed at 336' and 376' . That's a 10% difference in published FOV. could one number mean 336' at 1000 yards, and the other be 376' at 1000 meters???...I'd just like to know what number is correct as I'm comparing binos for a future purchase.

I'll put a call in to Leica and confirm the FOV.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Any technical reason why Leica Noctivids are not set up for attaching a stud so that they can be mounted to a tripod without the adapter. On a binocular of this class it seems like it should be an option. Leica must have their reasons.

I talked to Leica about this. They do it to protect their binoculars. When you add a stud in the hinge, you are introducing a big moment arm that was not designed to be there. If there is an accident, say you knock over your tripod, ALL the weight and force is concentrated in that stud and transferred (and multiplied by the moment arm) into the binocular. When you have the binos mounted in the adapter, all the force is put on the inexpensive (relatively!) adapter. The adapter is really well thought out, it is very durable, and the rubber strap that makes it universal also give some shock absorbing qualities when there is an accident. It's just an added bulky piece and I prefer a built in stud system...but I'm not warranty-big binoculars.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
so im finding out that my eyes are not up to the quality of these alpha glasses... maybe lasik will help with that someday but for now I am extremely happy with my razors. what I did notice on the two pictures of the turkey is the chromatic abjuration on the left side of the tree trunk... thanks to Ryan and that damn podcast I notice that shit more than if things are in focus these days... which nockers was the top photo?

Top photo is the Leica and the bottom photo is the Swarovski. I wouldn't base any choices off those photos...I tried to put a disclaimer there...I'm no professional photographer/digiscoper. Could be the phone adjusting things, could be the sun coming in there different; it's like roping goats putting that universal phonescope adapter on the binoculars and takes some time switching for sure.

Did you see the same thing in the video clips?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Steve......I didn't explain myself very well in an earlier post. I've seen the FOV for the Noctivid listed at 336' and 376' . That's a 10% difference in published FOV. could one number mean 336' at 1000 yards, and the other be 376' at 1000 meters???...I'd just like to know what number is correct as I'm comparing binos for a future purchase.

376' @ 1000 yards is the correct and official number from Leica.

dotman

WKR
Any technical reason why Leica Noctivids are not set up for attaching a stud so that they can be mounted to a tripod without the adapter. On a binocular of this class it seems like it should be an option. Leica must have their reasons.

The Swaro EL isn't setup with threads for an adapter, have to get the cheaper SLC to get the threads. So that's 2 in this class without it.

Last edited:

Hiwallman

Lil-Rokslider
With the Outdoorsman stud system installed on the Swaro EL's the warranty is not affected. I'm surprised they are not worried about an accident like Leica is. I also prefer the stud system for its lighter weight and less bulk. I have the Outdoorsman binocular clamp that I have been using on my Leica's. It works ok but is not as convenient as a stud system. It also allows me to use different binos on the tripod without studs attached. Those Noctivid binos are amazing. I like the 8x ones best so far.

handwerk

WKR
Thanks Steve for putting out this review, good real world stuff.
I've had the Swaro SV's since they first came out and still am amazed at the view and love the ergos...I have not looked through the noctivids yet so it was nice to read your thoughts.

Broomd

WKR
Awesome effort here, Steve.

Great review and much appreciated by us that love to play with the glass.
The deciding factor for me would probably be the stellar Swaro warranty if optical quality is dead even for both.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Swarovski does not officially honor the warranty if you do either the KDC or the Outdoorsman stud; I called them.

I've heard the internet lie that the Outdoorsman stud does not void the warranty. I called Outdoorsmans; they will not provide any written documentation to back that up claim. KDC is up front about that and sends the original part back with your binoculars.
Look for the adapter from Kestrel Glassing Systems to solve this issue.