Leica Noctivid vs. Swarovski EL, by Steve Osminski

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Rokslide member Steve Osminski had the unique opportunity to field test two of the big dogs and test them he did. See how they stacked up in low light and clarity. This is Steve's first official Rokslide review. I think he did great. Thanks Steve.

Leica Noctovid vs. Swarovski EL SV Review

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Swarovski does not officially honor the warranty if you do either the KDC or the Outdoorsman stud; I called them.

I've heard the internet lie that the Outdoorsman stud does not void the warranty. I called Outdoorsmans; they will not provide any written documentation to back that up claim. KDC is up front about that and sends the original part back with your binoculars.

Last edited:
Nice write up. I never thought I'd spend the $ for the top end glass (being perfectly happy with $300 glass) but since doing so, I don't ever see myself going backwards. A good friend convinced me of the superior difference so I gave the Zeiss a try. For now I have the 10x42 Zeiss and 8x42 Leica. That same friend has gotten me to spend quite a bit of money over the years, on stuff I never would have considered trying, but after the initial sticker shock I'm beyond pleased with spending the $.

Last edited:

AGPank

WKR
One thing to edit in the review is the EL FP 10x42 FOV is 336', not 399'. That is the 8.5x42.

Ronb

WKR
Hey Steve, great write up. just curious how my Zeiss T FL 10x42's still stack up against the latest and greatest. I believe you had a pair of those in your testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
AGP-good catch and my apologies. I grabbed those numbers off an optics store website rather than Swarovski and Leica proper. Here are the values from Leica and Swarovski:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Hey Steve, great write up. just curious how my Zeiss T FL 10x42's still stack up against the latest and greatest. I believe you had a pair of those in your testing.

Ron, I have a spreadsheet at home with the numbers and I will report back later with some exact times but I recall them doing very well.

Ronb

WKR
Thanks Steve, I've been very happy with these Bino's, but as with anything, it's easy to look over the fence and think that I need the latest and greatest. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Good stuff Steve.

Do you notice more field flattening with the Swaros....vs a tiny bit more of a stereoscopic 3D view with the Noctovids? Those are the comments that are debated in the birding forums.....

boom

WKR
like comparing Miss America to Miss Universe? hahhaha..

damn i get that! makes perfect sense since my wife will say NO to it ALL.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Good stuff Steve.

Do you notice more field flattening with the Swaros....vs a tiny bit more of a stereoscopic 3D view with the Noctovids? Those are the comments that are debated in the birding forums.....

Bruce, I've read that stuff and I'm not sure how those folks see the things that they do...all I see are sharp, clear images. I'm not bothered by the "rolling ball" effect either as I've sat for days and days and days behind those ELs looking for Coues deer. I may not be smart enough to see all these extras!

bbrown

WKR
Swarovski does not officially honor the warranty if you do either the KDC or the Outdoorsman stud; I called them.

I've heard the internet lie that the Outdoorsman stud does not void the warranty. I called Outdoorsmans; they will not provide any written documentation to back that up claim. KDC is up front about that and sends the original part back with your binoculars.

Interesting - I reached out to Outdoorsmans about having the stud installed on my EL Ranges and they told me the stud does not affect the warranty but did not offer up anything in writing. Not wanting to take any chances I also contacted Brandon at Swarovski and he said the Outdoorsman's is the only company approved to install the stud without voiding the warranty. Granted I don't have that in writing either so I guess hopefully I will never have to deal with any warranty issues where the could use the stud as an excuse not to honor the warranty.

Good review - thanks!

dotman

WKR
Interesting - I reached out to Outdoorsmans about having the stud installed on my EL Ranges and they told me the stud does not affect the warranty but did not offer up anything in writing. Not wanting to take any chances I also contacted Brandon at Swarovski and he said the Outdoorsman's is the only company approved to install the stud without voiding the warranty. Granted I don't have that in writing either so I guess hopefully I will never have to deal with any warranty issues where the could use the stud as an excuse not to honor the warranty.

Good review - thanks!

There is another Swaro thread where the op asked about Outdoorsmans and kdc, Swaro told him Outdoorsmans is covered but he hadn't heard of kdc. So I don't think those of us with the Outdoorsmans stud have anything to worry about and maybe in the future the kdc will also be included.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Having the outdoorsman's stud installed DOES NOT void the warranty. I had this discussion with Dean Capuano, Director of Communications at Swarovski Optic North America and Chris Denham from Outdoorsmans at the FTW Ranch a few months back.

Outdoorsmans is the only company authorized to install a stud on Swarovski binoculars.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I checked into this over two years ago so things may have changed and there is documentation from the factory. The information I got was any modification such as the stud would void the warranty. With the relationship Outdoorsmans has with Swarovski it should be quite easy for them to get that it is covered in writing. I'm much more inclined to be comfortable with a guy on the phone selling something saying "it's not been a problem" when he can add, "we have it in writing from the factory". And it should not be a problem to give the customer that documentation. Win/win. I think it would be a very easy and smart move for them to have that piece of paper.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Back to the review, I did take a short video clip thru each bino. I had some trouble trying to get that on Photobucket when I tried earlier during the testing. I will try to get them into YouTube and post the links here later today.