Compact tripod ideas? Recommendations?

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
I have been toting a full size tripod for a while and honestly I realize I do most if not all my glassing from sitting and I'd like to drop some weight too. Something that will slide easily into the side pocket of my DT2 would be awesome...
I've been looking at these 3 and was wondering if anyone has had good results from any of them or if I'm missing out on something I've not seen yet.. fill me in!!

3 candidates so far:
Vortex Summit SS
SLIK Pro 624 C.F.
Schonfeld Ultra Compact C.F.

I'm running binos 90% of the time (10x42mm and 15x56's) and every once in a while a 65mm spotter. I've got a manfrotto head I can put in any of them, so the heads not an issue.
What say you guys?
Thanks ahead of time!
Pete

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hoges

FNG
I recently received a Promaster XC525C from Steve @ S&S Archery. I primarily use this with a Swaro ATX85. The tripod is great, light weight, simple to use and robust. One leg also doubles as a tracking pole with a stud on the top for a camera/video etc.

It will easily fit in the DT2 side pocket, it and the spotter fit in the front pockets of my Sitka Flash 20 pack.

Steve has a couple of videos reviewing the tripod and comparing to the Slicks. You can find them on the S&S site or on YouTube.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was going to rule out the vortex SS when you mentioned the spotter but then saw you had your own head. I have the SS pan and no complaints for the money when using with binos. The head isn't stable enough for a spotter if there is any moderate breeze. On second thought not sure if the center post was a source for the wobble. The legs function fine for me though.

Might want to skip the vortex summit esp. when that Schonfeld isn't much more.

FlyGuy

WKR
If you are typically sitting and want to save weight, then you should also consider the KDC tripod system. I think it's on sale for rocksliders right now too. Would need to check to see if it can handle the weight of the 65 spotter though. Just an fyi....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Vortex Summit SSP and sold it and now use the compact carbon Schonfeld with the Schonfeld pan head. I prefer the Schonfeld over the Vortex by far. The Vortex was fine for binos, but I never liked it with the spotter. The Schonfeld is good with binos and my 65 spotter. My .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlaskaEd

WKR
Just posted in another thread also, but the Sirui T025x is what I ended up with for my spotter. I also have a Vortex SS-P also, but I'll be taking the Sirui into the mountains.