Tripod help

lif

WKR
I'm going to purchase tripods for my binos this year. Right now I'm just running vortex razors and diamond backs. Wanting to upgrade but haven't yet. I need a pack tripod and possibly a standing tripod for the truck. Please help me out with some good insight. Thanks.

I'm also looking for a tripod setup and initially was thinking of getting the Outdoorsman's compact medium tripod. After looking around on Rokslide I saw the Promaster 525c carbon fiber tripod (Promaster XC525c Carbon Fiber Tripod | S&S Archery). The thing I'm liking about it over the outdoorsmans is that it is a little cheaper, extends a lot higher to where I think I could stand with it, and its lighter. Seems like that one might fit both your needs and then you only have to buy one tripod.

Hopefully someone who has experience with these tripod can weigh in.

AlaskaEd

WKR
I picked up a Sirui T-025x for my spotter and it's pretty dang light and adjusts well. The center post is removable to make it even lighter if you don't need to go up as high.

willidru

WKR
Damn you all, I just convince myself I could save $$ and go aluminum. Now back to thinking SLIK 624CF

Damn you all, I just convince myself I could save $$ and go aluminum. Now back to thinking SLIK 624CF

Do it, you won't regret it. I ended up going with the SLIK 624 CFL. Although I have not had it out actually hunting yet. I have had it in the field and at the range and I am extremely impressed how the carbon fiber performs compared to the aluminum. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the higher end CF tripods, just get one with the features that suit your needs/wants and I'm sure you'll be a happy camper. I'll never go back to aluminum.

And yes, Rob at S&S Archery will most definitely take good care of you. Absolutely awesome customer service!

Last edited:

1signguy

WKR
I bought a Gitzo tripod earlier this year and while pricey they are very stable and really nice to work with. I put an Outdoorsmans micro panhead on it and I am happy with that as well. My hunting partner purchase a new Slik and I was very impressed with it. I think it is maybe a little less than the Gitzo but seems very high end...

I went from an aluminum Vortex trip pod which was fine- until I tried something better. :)
Before Swarovski I used Vortex glass which as also very good- until I tried something better.

My suggestion is that people never try high end tripods and or Swarovski or other high end glass. :)

On the other hand, I have found so much more enjoyment out of just looking at/for animals. A harvest is still the goal but glassing has become a real joy and I couldn't say that before... So the investment in a good tripod/glass while high has brought this hunter quite a bit of enjoyment. Even if I don't see more animals than before...

I bought a Gitzo tripod earlier this year and while pricey they are very stable and really nice to work with. I put an Outdoorsmans micro panhead on it and I am happy with that as well. My hunting partner purchase a new Slik and I was very impressed with it. I think it is maybe a little less than the Gitzo but seems very high end...

I went from an aluminum Vortex trip pod which was fine- until I tried something better. :)
Before Swarovski I used Vortex glass which as also very good- until I tried something better.

My suggestion is that people never try high end tripods and or Swarovski or other high end glass. :)

On the other hand, I have found so much more enjoyment out of just looking at/for animals. A harvest is still the goal but glassing has become a real joy and I couldn't say that before... So the investment in a good tripod/glass while high has brought this hunter quite a bit of enjoyment. Even if I don't see more animals than before...

Well said sir!

twall13

WKR
I'm a happy user of the Promaster XC525c. The head on it isn't great but is easy to upgrade later and many tripods in this class don't come with a head at all. The tripod itself is compact, stable, and light. Another place to look for it is Cameraland (they are also a Rokslide Sponser). They have some demo units (in previous link) that can save you $50 or so. Give them a call and let them know you are from Rokslide and they can often hook you up.

svivian

WKR
Another vote for the promaster 525 cf. love mine and exstends plenty tall enough while still folding down small and light.

OP
L

lif

WKR
Thanks guys. This is very helpful The promaster 525 has what generic specs. Extension length. How small it telescopes to. Weight.

twall13

WKR
Here is a link to S&S Archery with the specs and a video review by Steve that should be helpful on your questions about the Promaster.

Beendare

WKR
There are 1/2 dozen good ones...all good. If you search this forum there have to be 50 threads on tripods in the last 5 years...lots of opinions.

I have the Sirui and like it....