Burris xtr ii anyone?

shawnb

FNG
Has anyone tried the burris xtr ii yet?

If so, whats your thoughts on glass, tracking etc. I cant justify nightforce, swarovski at $2700+ canadian.

DEW0341

WKR
Love mine. Built like a tank. I have the 3-15x50 G2B reticle.
Tracks spot on, and compared to my old bushnell DMR, the clicks Are much more tactile and audible. Glass isn't as dark either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love mine too, plan on purchasing another! Tracks great and glass is clear. I believe their well worth the money

My only complaint with my XTR2 is the glass on the top end is not great. Had they left the scopes with 4x mag ranges instead of 5x they would appear to be much nicer. As it stands, I generally think of my 3-15 as a 3-12 and love it.

A good sight picture can still be obtained at the highest magnifications but the eye box gets to be very critical.

OP
S

shawnb

FNG
Thanks for the feedback. Ill see if i can track one down and check th top mag range on them.

kpk

WKR
I have a 5-25. For the most part I'm happy with it - the ocular adjustment on mine was super finicky.

gbrim21

FNG
My only complaint with my XTR2 is the glass on the top end is not great. Had they left the scopes with 4x mag ranges instead of 5x they would appear to be much nicer. As it stands, I generally think of my 3-15 as a 3-12 and love it.

A good sight picture can still be obtained at the highest magnifications but the eye box gets to be very critical.
Agree with this. My 4-20 is great, except at top magnification I also find the eye box finnicky. Have also had illumination go out on both the 4-20 as well as my 1-5. I know the early ones had illumination issues, they may have fixed that but their warranty is great so that's nice.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
I must be the oddball here. I was very unimpressed. I would much rather have a Sightron SIII or a Vortex PST.

DEW0341

WKR
I must be the oddball here. I was very unimpressed. I would much rather have a Sightron SIII or a Vortex PST.

I believe optics are all personal preference, and what the eye of the user likes best. I personally don't like they PST, my buddy liked my bushnell DMR more than his SWFA, I thought differently, same guy thinks his Leica rangefinder is better than my k2000. It's all subjective best thing OP can do is attempt to look through as much glass as possible to make a choice.

A prescription of lenses. I think there is a fair amount of absolutes within the framework of "glass" however there's also a whole bunch of subjectivity as well. Contextually, things like veiling glare, chromatic aberration, depth of field, forgiveness of the eye box are important and fairly quantifiable.

I have no opinion on the xtr 2 in regards to glass.

As for the mechanics, after the debacle the first go round with Burris I'd probably look elsewhere in the marketplace for options especially at that price point.

DEW0341

WKR
OP if your a member on snipershide they have a write up in the scope section of the optics forum. Long story short the Burris is only one of three or so that tracked dead nuts out of a dozen or so scopes ranging from 800-3500$.

If that's worth anything

FURMAN

WKR
OP if your a member on snipershide they have a write up in the scope section of the optics forum. Long story short the Burris is only one of three or so that tracked dead nuts out of a dozen or so scopes ranging from 800-3500$.

If that's worth anything

That may be a great read but my Sightron and Vortex scopes have all tracked "dead nuts". Yes scopes are all personal preference and everyone is looking for different features which is why it is great to have options. The thing I hate most about the XTR is the mushy turrets which I find amusing because so many others say they are great. They are not near as positive as the SIIIs or the PSTs.

That may be a great read but my Sightron and Vortex scopes have all tracked "dead nuts". Yes scopes are all personal preference and everyone is looking for different features which is why it is great to have options. The thing I hate most about the XTR is the mushy turrets which I find amusing because so many others say they are great. They are not near as positive as the SIIIs or the PSTs.

Are you talking about the original XTR or the XTR2? The XTR 2 turrets are anything but mushy but the original XTR turrets I've spun certainly didn't feel great.

DEW0341

WKR
The thing I hate most about the XTR is the mushy turrets which I find amusing because so many others say they are great. They are not near as positive as the SIIIs or the PSTs.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I don't think the XTR is "mushy" at all not even close to as bad as my DMR, IMO turrets are audible and tactile as much or more than the PST I have and my buddies gen1 razor HD. Maybe I got an exceptional XTR or you got a shitty one? I think we should chalk it up to personal preference, your perception is your reality such is mine

FURMAN

WKR
I'm talking about the current model, the XTR II. I agree with the different strokes for different folks. The one I played with was compared side by side with every scope in its class. It and the Sigs were the mushiest turrets I have touched in that price range. I was considering purchasing both for more in depth comparison to the Vortex and Sightron but could not get over the turrets so I didn't want to waste my time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wasn't looking into the xtr ii and the pst gen 2 in the end I ended up with the nightforce shv though and I am very happy with my decision so far. Super crisp and clear glass. I'm sure I would have been okay with the xtr ii. The pst gen 2 I have heard lots of problems with them

OP
S

shawnb

FNG
Thanks again everyone. I have had a few vortex pst's and do not like them. 2 of three wouldnt track that well and never returned to zero. And all 3 constantly had "stuff" floating around the reticle. Ive only ever used leupolds in the past, from vx2 to mk4 lrt and never had issues with them.

I just want to try something new

This may be a phase, but for hunting and whatnot I'm really liking a well thought out Christmas tree reticle.

I based my current purchase on that criteria.

It engineers out a potential failure point in hunting situations, I've done it and I'm sure other have as well and that's forget to return your knobs to zero.

Again it's not a huge concern, most guys aren't stacking animals, but it does happen. Last year I popped a hind at 450 or so for the pot and a chamois nanny popped up over a rock at 125.. I was lucky she was frontal cuz my bullet caught her in the throat about 8" above my aiming spot. Woops! Haha turret still at 1.8 mils.

R_burg

WKR
I check out a Veracity today I was going to buy for a hunting gun, and it had very noticeable Chromatic Aberration. This was inside if fairly un-harsh light.

Has anyone noticed this with the XTR?