Tripod Set ups for Viper HD 10x42

topher89

WKR
Hey,

I just picked up a pair of Viper HD 10x42s and they are a huge step up from what I started my hunting career with a few years ago.

I am thinking about getting a tripod set up to use when I am day hunting for deer and elk and out in the plains for antelope. I am overwhelmed by the choices out there and am unsure about adaptors and what works with what tripod.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Adapter will work with any tripod head. For purely binocular use I'd go with a short tripod(sitting only) and a ball head for the lightest setup you can have. If you plan to run a spotter on it than a taller tripod ( so you can stand) with a more robust head maybe need. Slilk aluminum is a great budget setup

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

btplass

Lil-Rokslider
I recently bought a vortex high country. Decent quality for the price.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

OP
T

topher89

WKR
Thanks. Part of my confusion is about what parts I need to buy. Obviously I need a tripod and and adaptor but do I also need a head for the tripod?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most entry/mid level tripods​ come with a head already attached. You can get a pan or ball style head. Each has its pros and cons. Ball heads are typically much less wieght and easy to use with binoculars, and cheaper. Pan heads are typically more robust for heavier optics, wiegh more, and easier to grid or pan with.
If you get quality legs you can upgrade/change the head as your needs change

tttoadman

WKR

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have a budget? I started out with a slik ez pro. It has a decent pan head. About $100. I recently put a benro s2 on the legs and was a good upgrade

Budget?????? THERE are setups for all budgets. Pretty much pay for what you get and get what you pay for. That being said there are a lot of good entry level options.

OP
T

topher89

WKR
Budget?????? THERE are setups for all budgets. Pretty much pay for what you get and get what you pay for. That being said there are a lot of good entry level options.
This is part of what I am trying to figure out. Lots of options about there and I haven't gotten a handle of what is cheap crap and what has value.

Preferably 2-300 but if $150 is enough that is even better. Like I said in the original post, this would be for day hunts and antelope. My lightweight backpacking background just won't allow me to go backpacking with one.

I should mention, while I do not have a spotter yet, there will be one in the future. So I am interested in a tripod that can pull bino and spotting scope duty

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree slilk EZ is great budget setup. I really like the panning features of 707e head and still use the legs when I need standing hight tripod

frankrb3

WKR
Take your time and don't rush into a purchase. Continue to gather information about various configurations that you are interested in and invest in the best gear you can afford. This will save you money down the road as you will be less likely to feel the need to upgrade quality/durable equipment.

I have the outdoorsmans medium compact tripod with the standard pan head. Only complaint is I can't use it standing but I knew this when I bought it. The convenience of it's size when collapsed out weighed the advantage of being able to use it standing but I do want to get another tripod that will work while standing. Been looking at slik tripod for the next one with the outdoorsmans micro pan head. Good luck.

This is part of what I am trying to figure out. Lots of options about there and I haven't gotten a handle of what is cheap crap and what has value.

Preferably 2-300 but if $150 is enough that is even better. Like I said in the original post, this would be for day hunts and antelope. My lightweight backpacking background just won't allow me to go backpacking with one.

I should mention, while I do not have a spotter yet, there will be one in the future. So I am interested in a tripod that can pull bino and spotting scope duty

There is tons of useful information on this site. Do a search and ask more questions. My personal favorite is a slik 634 carbon tripod with an outdoorsmans panhead. This setup is north of $600 but is about as nice as they come. In general larger aluminum tripods and ball heads re your most affordable options. I have a couple manfrotto aluminum tripods with manfrotto 700 rc2 panhead that are sturdy and tall but heavy. A lot of budget setups come up in the classifieds and you can get a nice set up relatively cheap IF you are patient. Most high end stuff holds its value and guys who have progressed to that level are not eager to part with it. GOOD luck in your search.