Swarovski ATS 65mm 20-60X Review, by Brock Akers

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Rokslide staff writer, Brock Akers, pounded the Idaho mountains last year in search of a good buck. Not only did he find one of those, he learned why thousands of hunters trust Swarovski's workhorse for the backcountry, the Swarovski ATS 65mm 20-60X

See his review here:

Swarovski ATS 65mm Review

Last edited:
Good review! I have the magnesium housing version of the scope tested I bought in 2011 and agree with all the reviewer's coments. It has served me very well and I am not looking to switch out to something else.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Great review Brock, I have been considering downsizing from the 80mm Swaro to the 65 for my backpack hunts. Did you ever get to run it next to the new ATX? I am guessing the ATX will be an upgrade in optical quality but it weighs a quite bit more.
Thanks for the solid review!

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Really good stuff. It is hard to get the point across just how good the Leica/Zeiss/Swarovski (and Kowa/Metopa I've read) really are. Some don't want to believe it but man it is just a joy to behold what they put in front of your eyes. I love pulling out the tripod and putting the bino or scope on.

I've got a 15 year old 65mm Zeiss Diascope I'm going to compare to a new borrowed 82mm Leica Televid in the next couple weeks. I'm hoping I don't see a huge difference :rolleyes:

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've got a 15 year old 65mm Zeiss Diascope I'm going to compare to a new borrowed 82mm Leica Televid in the next couple weeks. I'm hoping I don't see a huge difference :rolleyes:

Looking forward to that one!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
While I love my Zeiss Diascope 85mm, I still am sad I sent my Swaro ATM 65mm HD at times. Great spotter or the size and weight!! Nice review Brock!

Really good stuff. It is hard to get the point across just how good the Leica/Zeiss/Swarovski (and Kowa/Metopa I've read) really are. Some don't want to believe it but man it is just a joy to behold what they put in front of your eyes. I love pulling out the tripod and putting the bino or scope on.

I cannot agree more with this sentiment.

Oh come on now, are you really hoping not to see a difference?;) You know if it does, new toys are surely coming your way in the future.:)

Good review Brock. I hope to have a similarly positive experience as you have had with the ATS with my STS. It will be my first year with it, as I was also previously using Vortex spotters. I can hardly wait for solid scouting trips. They are coming soon!

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great review Brock, I have been considering downsizing from the 80mm Swaro to the 65 for my backpack hunts. Did you ever get to run it next to the new ATX? I am guessing the ATX will be an upgrade in optical quality but it weighs a quite bit more.
Thanks for the solid review!

I have looked through an ATX but it was too far between to really give any side by side comparison.

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I came across this review as I’m currently in the market for this scope. I wanted to ask the author if he would still recommend this scope two years later or if I should opt for the 80mm objective lens instead? This would be for all my hunts which vary from long backpacking trips to shorter logging road walks in the PNW. Thank you!

Thank you

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I came across this review as I’m currently in the market for this scope. I wanted to ask the author if he would still recommend this scope two years later or if I should opt for the 80mm objective lens instead? This would be for all my hunts which vary from long backpacking trips to shorter logging road walks in the PNW. Thank you!

Thank you

Yep! Still recommend the 65 vs an 80mm for sure. I have yet to be in the situation where I needed more scope

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
is the wide angle 25-50 eyepiece the way to go? I imagine the 65mm objective struggles above 50x...
I have both eyepieces and it's a tough call! 60X is used less as it's darker and more prone to vibration, but when it's calm and light, ya, it's nice to have the extra 10X.

@Brock A have you used both?

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
is the wide angle 25-50 eyepiece the way to go? I imagine the 65mm objective struggles above 50x...

I have used both. The wide angle is pretty nice. Like Robby mentioned they both kind of have their place. However if I were to pick one, it would be the 25-50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk