New BTX Arrived

1signguy

WKR
New BTX has landed. Will post up my findings when i get back from Colorado next week. I also have the 1.7x magnifier to include in the findings. Initial thoughts are that it is a very high end piece of equipment as one would expect from Swarovski. I am going to take my 15x56SLC's along with my ATX eye piece and 65 lens.

IMG_2395.jpg

mcseal2

WKR
I too want to see the review. I am afraid even if I sell both my Swaro spotters and my 15x SLC's though I couldn't afford the BTX set-up I'd want. Probably shouldn't even read it, just keep using what I have! It works great and is paid for...

I too want to see the review. I am afraid even if I sell both my Swaro spotters and my 15x SLC's though I couldn't afford the BTX set-up I'd want. Probably shouldn't even read it, just keep using what I have! It works great and is paid for...

Come on man this is rokslide! We gear junkies buy sell beg borrow and steal to get the latest and greatest glass. NEVER say never.....

Beendare

WKR
I never thought I would say it with any optic ........but I just can't justify spending the $$ on one of these for myself.

What are these all in? I heard grumbling around $4,500.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Just got my 1.7 magnifier and threw it on my 95 ATX. I am sitting on my deck right now looking out across the lake and I'm pretty amazed at how clear everything looks. I've looked at the doublers before and didn't like them but this 1.7 is pretty nice. I'm impressed with the view you get.

OP

1signguy

WKR
View attachment 52926

View attachment 52925

Getting ready to blast off for CO but couldn't wait till tomorrow to just take a look through the thing.

Initial thoughts- the BTX is freaking off the hook crazy awesome. It is far better than I had ever imagined it could be. The 1.7 magnifier is a must have if you are making the investment in the BTX. I love the forehead rest. Its comfortable and just feels right. I can't explain how comfortable and just right looking through the BTX is compared to the ATX. I really think as much as I enjoy glassing already- this just takes it to a whole new level.

My initial opinion is that the Outdoorsman micro panhead is pushing its limits and the regular Outdoorsman panhead is probably a better option.

This is a physically big system- not sure about backpacking it. However, I can't imagine not taking it. Its that good!

The Gitzo tripod is right at home with this setup. Will post up much more when I get back from Colorado next week after spending some real time looking at animals.

Overall initial opinion is that the BTX is a game changer for those that spend a fair amount of time behind the glass.

goat1958

FNG
View attachment 52926

View attachment 52925

Getting ready to blast off for CO but couldn't wait till tomorrow to just take a look through the thing.

Initial thoughts- the BTX is freaking off the hook crazy awesome. It is far better than I had ever imagined it could be. The 1.7 magnifier is a must have if you are making the investment in the BTX. I love the forehead rest. Its comfortable and just feels right. I can't explain how comfortable and just right looking through the BTX is compared to the ATX. I really think as much as I enjoy glassing already- this just takes it to a whole new level.

My initial opinion is that the Outdoorsman micro panhead is pushing its limits and the regular Outdoorsman panhead is probably a better option.

This is a physically big system- not sure about backpacking it. However, I can't imagine not taking it. Its that good!

The Gitzo tripod is right at home with this setup. Will post up much more when I get back from Colorado next week after spending some real time looking at animals.

Overall initial opinion is that the BTX is a game changer for those that spend a fair amount of time behind the glass.

the outdoorsmans micro pan head is to small for a full size spotting scope period.. you will need their big panhead..My BTX should be here next week

OP

1signguy

WKR
Outdoorsman says the micro is fine right up through the 95 objective with the ATX- which is probably comparable to the BTX with the 65. My issue is more of an ergonomic at this point. Will know more in a few days.
Congrats on your BTX. U will be pleased!

mcseal2

WKR
Just my opinion..

I used the Outdoorsman's standard pan head all last season and most of the season before. Once I got used to the separate pan and tilt levers I pretty much loved it. I had been using a Promaster 6160 that is a great and smooth head for it's cost, but I wouldn't go back to it. Grid glassing or spending a lot of time behind it I kept liking the Outdoorsmans pan head better. I ran my 65 and 80mm Swaro spotters, my 15x56 binos, and my 10x42 binos off it. Especially with the binos I loved having the longer lever out front that I could run with heavy gloves on with my hands braced against the tripod. Best head I have used.

This summer I ordered the Micro from them. I compared it to the standard pan head for a week glassing off my front porch and decided I'd pack the extra weight for the standard pan head. There was nothing wrong with the micro but I liked the standard much better. The friction vertical adjustment is nowhere close to as smooth as the standard pan. The horizontal is smooth but having a knob for one adjustment and a lever for the other didn't seem like a good set-up for me. I preferred the 6160 Promaster to the Micro. I returned it with no issue, Outdoorsmans is a great company to work with, and got another standard pan head.

I now have both my tripods set-up for the Outdoorsmans standard pan head. The taller Promaster 525 carbon fiber tripod I use in my pack less often I have a quick attach on from Outdoorsmans. That lets me keep the compact medium Outdoorsmans tripod in my pack ready to roll with the 65mm Swaro most of the time. I switch the other pan head between the Promaster tripod and the Outdoorsmans window mount. I mostly use it from the window with my 80mm Swaro. If I'm glassing from the vehicle like I often do antelope hunting, this way I can have my pack loaded and ready to grab and go when I see a goat I want to stalk.

Anyway not to hijack the thread, but I personally found that the 4oz extra of the standard pan head is weight well spent. For long hours spent behind good glass I would seriously consider using it over the micro.

robie

WKR
1signguy did you post your review elsewhere? I'm curious your thoughts and to see some pictures through it.