First Look! S&S Archery checks out the new Kowa 55mm Fluorite Crystal Spotter

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sneaky, switch to decaf friend. There was no attempt to Compare the Nikon to the new Kowa. Merely saying if this new scope does well in low light it will be a better option than my ED50 for not much more weight.
I don't drink coffee lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
It was the 65mm ATX. The resolution on both we're so similar we couldn't really say one was better than the other.

As far as the eyepeice goes, I don't know what benefit would come from a removable eyepeice. I guess eye relief could be improved with a fixed mag..maybe, but I just don't think this scope needs anything. Except that dam rotating collar. I need to get this review out!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Please get the review out ASAP lol, I guess it's to late for me. I have my Swaro 65 sold and my ED50 is getting interest. I'm pretty much committed at this point to sending Rob some money but I'm waiting to read the review before I place the order. I use a straight scope anyway in my pack so the collar isn't a deal-breaker for me. I like the angled 80mm Swaro scouting but I like the ease of carrying and finding a critter in the straight scopes for a scope that will spend a lot of time in the pack. I definitely understand the advantages of an angled spotter with a collar but I don't have the dislike for a straight scope some do.

High quality, light weight spotting scope.

I don't normally even carry a spotting scope, but this could possibly change my mind.

OP
S&S Archery (Rob)

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
"The optical performance is just flat out amazing for a scope of this size and weight."
-Steve Speck

Hey guys, we are almost finished with this review. I'll have a link posted sometime on Monday.

And for the guys who have already ordered, i did get confirmation that your scopes will be shipping on the 18th of Aug.

Enjoy your weekend!

rob

Tag_Soup

WKR
Access Denied

Would a 3 way pan/tilt head like this partially solve the lack of a rotating collar? I definitely would miss that feature, but may be able to get around this if I could tilt the entire tripod head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
Access Denied

Would a 3 way pan/tilt head like this partially solve the lack of a rotating collar? I definitely would miss that feature, but may be able to get around this if I could tilt the entire tripod head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a similar thought about using it with my ball head. I don't think it would work quite as well as a roasting collar but it will probably help. Of course that's just speculation on my part but the adjustment wouldn't be as quick and smooth.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I didn't see the review yet, did I miss it? Probably was just a typical Monday and unforeseen circumstances got in the way I'm guessing?

OP
S&S Archery (Rob)

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I didn't see the review yet, did I miss it? Probably was just a typical Monday and unforeseen circumstances got in the way I'm guessing?
Yep, waiting on the final ok..sorry guys, will post tomorrow morning.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
Understood, out of your control. Waiting impatiently but I understand why I'm still waiting and won't hold it against you. I look forward to the review and to owning one so I don't have to decide between the light scope and the good scope, just pack the same damn one!

twall13

WKR
Great write up Rob. You guys have me convinced. I don't really need it for the hunts I have lined up this season but I'm going to want it next year. Is the current pricing going to stay for the foreseeable future? I'm trying to talk myself into waiting but I'm not sure I'm winning that battle.

OP
S&S Archery (Rob)

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Great write up Rob. You guys have me convinced. I don't really need it for the hunts I have lined up this season but I'm going to want it next year. Is the current pricing going to stay for the foreseeable future? I'm trying to talk myself into waiting but I'm not sure I'm winning that battle.

Just based on our recent history with Kowa, I doubt we'll see a price change any time soon. If we didn't sell any, i would say maybe, but we have already pre-sold quite a few, so demand has been pretty high.

dotman

WKR
So Steve did compare it to the swaro ATS 65 with the 25-50wa, since pricing is kind of similar it's good to know the ATS had a slight edge but not enough for Steve to pack it over the Kowa. I have heard everyone say the ATX blows away the ATS, so it's interesting to see two guys say it is close to both but not better.

mcseal2

WKR
I just got my order placed, the review was favorable enough that I will be packing one around this fall. I'm no optics guru, but I previously owned a Swaro STM65 and still have a Swaro ATS 80 HD and a Nikon ED50 I can compare it to. I'll see how it compares and share my thoughts.

AlaskaEd

WKR
For the ATX, I would expect a spotter that is double the weight and nearly double the price to be better, but how much better is the $1799 question. I just picked up a TSN-663 and am thinking REAL hard about this one.

mcseal2

WKR
Rob does it have a protective case or good lens covers that will stay on in a pack? If not I might have to buy a half gallon of Crown Royal so I can have a nice purple protective case for the new spotter.

AlaskaEd

WKR
If it's anything like the other Kowas, and I'm sure it is, it has a very well machined screw-on cover for the objective, and a well fitting rubber cap for the eyepiece.

OP
S&S Archery (Rob)

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Rob does it have a protective case or good lens covers that will stay on in a pack? If not I might have to buy a half gallon of Crown Royal so I can have a nice purple protective case for the new spotter.

The obj lens cover stays on pretty well, and the eyepiece does as well, much better than my 77mm. I will say that the obj cover snaps into the body, NOT the sunshade, so the sunshade does need to be collapsed when you attach it. Hope that makes sense. I am waiting for someone to buy me a carrying case for my 77mm. Until then i am using the velvet bag that my motorcycle helmet came in!