First Look! S&S Archery checks out the new Kowa 55mm Fluorite Crystal Spotter

sneaky

"DADDY"
Exactly, for the price just get a used 65mm HD swaro.
And carry an extra pound and a half around? No thanks. This is a niche scope , the people who don't get it arent the ones they were targeting.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Exactly, for the price just get a used 65mm HD swaro.

For the same price and swaro will throw in the 20 additional ounces free!

If this comes anywhere close in performance it will be worth the price to some.

dotman

WKR
And carry an extra pound and a half around? No thanks. This is a niche scope , the people who don't get it arent the ones they were targeting.

Oh I get it but I'm not spending close to the price of a swaro to save a pound, at that price I'd rather pack the extra weight for increased light gathering and magnification and probably a tad better optical quality.

Too bad as I was wanting to get one to compliment my 80mm swaro but I'll just keep packing the 80 and suck up the extra 2lbs.

OP
S&S Archery (Rob)

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll get the exact number but eye relief was not generous. One of my only two complaints. The other being a lack of rotating collar.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Oh I get it but I'm not spending close to the price of a swaro to save a pound, at that price I'd rather pack the extra weight for increased light gathering and magnification and probably a tad better optical quality.

Too bad as I was wanting to get one to compliment my 80mm swaro but I'll just keep packing the 80 and suck up the extra 2lbs.
Better optical quality? The pure fluorite glass is better optically than the HD Swaro glass. You get a little more light gathering with the 65mm objective, but that's about the extent of it. It would be a no- brainer with a removable eyepiece, or a WA eyepiece. 20oz of weight is a handful more mtn houses, more time on the hill.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I carry a pig of a scope right now, Brunton Epoch MD. This scope weighs a third of what it does. Every time I use my friend's 880 though... man, that glass is ridiculous. Do I wanna save weight, or change eyepieces? The dilemma

dotman

WKR
Better optical quality? The pure fluorite glass is better optically than the HD Swaro glass. You get a little more light gathering with the 65mm objective, but that's about the extent of it. It would be a no- brainer with a removable eyepiece, or a WA eyepiece. 20oz of weight is a handful more mtn houses, more time on the hill.

I did say probably, time will tell once it's actually on the market. Maybe it truely will rock and be the wonder spotter but the fixed eyepiece is a big strike against it at this price point. I'll have to reread the blog Rob did but I do believe he said the 65 HD swaro was optically better by a little but I should reread it.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
From the article, I guess I just assume the swaro 65HD was compared. I do wonder how it compared in low light from the below and what magnification is usable compared to the 65's.

"We put the 553 up against some of the finest 65mm glass in the industry, and while it wasn’t always better it was VERY close!"

"Only in low light does the view become dim in the upper range."

OP
S&S Archery (Rob)

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
From the article, I guess I just assume the swaro 65HD was compared.

"We put the 553 up against some of the finest 65mm glass in the industry, and while it wasn’t always better it was VERY close!"
It was the 65mm ATX. The resolution on both we're so similar we couldn't really say one was better than the other.

As far as the eyepeice goes, I don't know what benefit would come from a removable eyepeice. I guess eye relief could be improved with a fixed mag..maybe, but I just don't think this scope needs anything. Except that dam rotating collar. I need to get this review out!

dotman

WKR
It was the 65mm ATX. The resolution on both we're so similar we couldn't really say one was better than the other.

As far as the eyepeice goes, I don't know what benefit would come from a removable eyepeice. I guess eye relief could be improved with a fixed mag..maybe, but I just don't think this scope needs anything. Except that dam rotating collar. I need to get this review out!

Yes you do and now you have my interest back!

excaliber

WKR
If I was at the point where a 20 oz heavier spotter kept me from carrying a few more Mtn House meals I'd be working on my cardio big time.:D

I'm skinny, they always matter :D

For me it comes down to the low light performance. I'm sure it can hang in good light. My Nikon 50ED does great during the day, but suffers early and late when it counts most.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm skinny, they always matter :D

For me it comes down to the low light performance. I'm sure it can hang in good light. My Nikon 50ED does great during the day, but suffers early and late when it counts most.
I think it's most likely applies to oranges comparing the ED50 to this 55 with pure fluorite glass. I think Rob needs to get the review finished up before people hang him in the court of public opinion.

Sneaky, switch to decaf friend. There was no attempt to Compare the Nikon to the new Kowa. Merely saying if this new scope does well in low light it will be a better option than my ED50 for not much more weight.

HOT ROD

WKR
For that price.. I will carry a 65mm... And it better blow the ed 50 clear out of the water.. Sunrise middle of the day and into the night....