First Look! S&S Archery checks out the new Kowa 55mm Fluorite Crystal Spotter

Bones

WKR
This really tempts me to replace my razor 50mm, not sure I am ready for that big of a jump in price.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I guess the standard glass one will come in way under that price. I was hoping if it was going to be pricey you could at least change eyepieces. 8/18 ship date means they missed the boat for Nevada and Utah hunts.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WKR
So, for the 55 mm Kowa with the eyepiece, you're looking at about 40 oz, compared to 60 oz for the 77mm. (these are guesses based on published weights for other eyepieces along with the oft stated 28 oz)

1.25 lbs weight difference. Somewhat less light gathering, and likely $2-300 more than the 77, so around $2500 for the complete scope.

Also, it doesn't have a rotating collar, so I wonder if a straight scope wouldn't be easier on the neck in most situations.

Last edited:
It is 28.5 ounces with the eyepiece correct? The eyepiece isn't removable so I don't think they would give a weight for just the body.

Agree on price, was hoping it was significantly cheaper.

OP
S&S Archery (Rob)

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So, for the 55 mm Kowa with the eyepiece, you're looking at about 40 oz, compared to 60 oz for the 77mm. (these are guesses based on published weights for other eyepieces along with the oft stated 28 oz)

1.25 lbs weight difference. Somewhat less light gathering, and likely $2-300 more than the 77, so around $2500 for the complete scope.

Also, it doesn't have a rotating collar, so I wonder if a straight scope wouldn't be easier on the neck in most situations.

Just to clarify for others, the weight with eyepiece is 28oz, the eyepiece is fixed. And the S&S Archery price is $1799. And YES we ARE taking orders right now, for shipping on Aug 18th. The light gathering was amazing for its size. The lack of a rotating collar does make the straight version more appealing, especially for our purposes.

Kowa TSN-550 Series 55mm Prominar Spotting Scope | Hunting Optics | S&S Archery

WKR
Rob, thank you for clarifying my misunderstanding. 28.5 oz complete scope is pretty amazing, similar to my 8x42 Maven bino's. The pricing makes more sense now also since the eyepiece is included in the $1799 number and the 28.5 oz number.

Definitely on the list of likely additions in the near future.

boom

WKR
damn.that is kinda nice!! my 65 feels like a bulky mess sometimes.

twall13

WKR
At that weight with a positive review from S&S it's mighty tempting. I don't "need" a spotter for the hunts I have planned this year but I may end up buying one anyway. I was set on an angled spotter and the lack of a rotating collar is my biggest hangup at this point.

mcseal2

WKR
I'm curious to see the full review. Any idea how it would compare in low light to a non-HD Swaro STM65? If I'd go this route I'd sell my STM65 and Nikon ED50, split the difference with this one. I'd use it for everything I didn't want to carry the 80mm Swaro for. Maybe it will distract me from wanting to try the BTX I can't afford.

Really interested in a full blown review on this. Matt or Justin, please compare this to a Swaro 65 HD spotter. Like mcseal2 said, this could really fill a gap.
Thanks
Jake Long

excaliber

WKR
If I'm going to carry a spotter it will be a larger objective and better eyepiece. The price is way too high for this little spotter. I wish they would add fluorite crystal lenses to the 66 and 77 series. With removable eyepieces and fluorite lenses those would have been something I'd be interested in.

The little 55 mm with a fixed eyepiece is disappointing. If you are going to go with the Flourite crystal lens at least go with a decent eyepiece like the TE-11WZ or similar. Cute but it's nothing I'd spend 1800.00 on.

dotman

WKR
If I'm going to carry a spotter it will be a larger objective and better eyepiece. The price is way too high for this little spotter. I wish they would add fluorite crystal lenses to the 66 and 77 series. With removable eyepieces and fluorite lenses those would have been something I'd be interested in.

The little 55 mm with a fixed eyepiece is disappointing. If you are going to go with the Flourite crystal lens at least go with a decent eyepiece like the TE-11WZ or similar. Cute but it's nothing I'd spend 1800.00 on.

Exactly, for the price just get a used 65mm HD swaro.