Budget rangefinder advice

I have not looked into range finders for well over 10 years. I am looking to get a new one but don't want to spend much, maybe $200 max. Mostly will be used for archery/muzzleloader so range down to 15yds or so and have angle comp. Will be used for some rifle hunting but I don't need to shoot over 400, maybe 500 yards.

Wondering if any of you have experience with some cheaper units and what has worked.

muddydogs

WKR
I would say get the biggest you can, you might not shoot over 500 yards but I find I'm pulling mine out just to see how far something is also most range finders range animals 300 to 500 yards less then there max range. A 1000 yard range finder is only accurate to 600 yards on non reflective targets.

OP
MuleyFever
Anyone have experience with the Vortex 1000 or the Sig 1250? Or an opinion on which would be better?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had the vortex and absolutely hated it. My partner had a vortex also and after Alaska we both couldn't dumped the ranger fast enough. He now has a sig and loves it I went with a leica

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever
Why did you hate it? I messed with a friends the other day and it seamed ok. Didn't really "use" it though.

OP
MuleyFever
I should probably throw in the Leupold RX-1200i TBR in there for another option.

OP
MuleyFever
The Sig 2000 is more than I want to spend and doesn't offer anything I want or need (that I know of) over the 1250. I am primarily a bow hunter. I rifle hunt for opportunity and would never shoot over 400 maybe 500 yards.

You wont like the vortex. It's too slow and complicated to get a range in the heat of the moment. Too much fuss for a good reading in my opinion, I thought it was quite dark to look through too.

After losing my old Nikon Riflehunter last winter in Arizona I picked up a new Nikon Arrow ID 3000 for about $175. I'm kinda partial to their rangefinders, especially for short distance stuff(archery). I never would have gotten a new one had I not lost it. I really like the new one, it gives fast accurate readings and I really like the fact that it is 4X instead of 6X. Much quicker target acquisition, smaller, lighter and I do like the near/far mode. It seems to work pretty well ranging through grass and other brush like that. The 5000 was overkill for my use as a strictly archery rangefinder, but you might want to look at it.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
They might have updated the ranger by now that was two years ago. The range time on mine was slow and I hated the 3 times of button pushing to get a single reading. What sealed the vortex fate was is side by side each with a ranger 1000 trying to range a group of caribou in the tundra at about 300 yards. It took us both about 5 minutes of button pushing before we got a single range back and couldn't get either range finder to give a verification reading after that either. The tundra doesn't reflect laser well but even with that fact it was still ridiculous. No one should have to use gear they don't/cannt trust

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever
I actually did notice the time it took to range when I looked through that Vortex. Had forgotten about that. I do want the 6x as I will use it when I do rifle hunt. Actually, the reason I am looking is for my AZ Elk hunt. I have an old Leopold RX but it just doesn't range out that far. Its good for archery though.

Unoboats

WKR
I have the Vortex and Leica. Spend the extra for a Leica used or Get a Sig. I understand they make a decent rangefinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever
Went to Sportsmans to look through some range finders and really liked the red display of the Leopold and SIG. I though I may have to raise my price range.

Funny thing happens though. As I'm looking my wife says if I am going to spend $300 or $400 on a rangefinder why don't I just buy the binoculars with the rangefinder in them. So, may be looking for some used Swaros or Leicas.

Went to Sportsmans to look through some range finders and really liked the red display of the Leopold and SIG. I though I may have to raise my price range.

Funny thing happens though. As I'm looking my wife says if I am going to spend $300 or $400 on a rangefinder why don't I just buy the binoculars with the rangefinder in them. So, may be looking for some used Swaros or Leicas.

There ya go! Sounds like a pretty good compromise to me.