Best $500ish scope for the money

I need to pick up a new scope for a 270 as an all around rig, as the title would suggest something in the neighborhood of $500 is what I have to spend.

I was originally going to go with leupold and was going to look for good deal a VX3 but someone mentioned to me that the glass on the vx2 and 3 was the same and the only difference with the 3 were a few extra bells and whistles. im not sure if I would use the whole cds system, then again I might like it if I actually try it. but if the glass is the same I might as well save some money and go with the vx2 or bump up to the next level above the VX3. I have never owned anything but bottom rung scopes and would like to get something better this time around.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Im not locked into leupold, and will consider other brands.

I have a Leupold VX -1 3 x 9 x 40 I put on an old Mauser action FN 30/06, it's a great scope for 199.00 and it has a lifetime guarantee. I'm not likely to shoot more than 150- 200 yards so I don't need anything more than that.

AlaskaEd

WKR
It's hard to beat the VX-3 line for under $500. Reasonable price, great glass (glass on rifles is not as important as binos/spotters, IMHO), very light weight, awesome warranty, optional CDS, one piece tubes, availability of accessories. I have a VX3 on all my hunting rifles. A 1.75-6, a 2-8, a 3.5-10, and a 6.5-20. I paid under $400 for all of them (6.5-20 was used).

VX-2s are great as well, for the price, but a 3 is better in every way except weight.

Rwbrew3

WKR
I am no expert but i have recently got into higher end optics's. I guess it all depends on what your primary use will be, do you plan on long range shooting/hunting, will you be using turrets or hold overs, do you want a lighted reticle ffp or sfp. I went with the vortex line, not just because they make a great optic, but the customer service and zero hassle return policy, with the no questions asked was the deal maker.. You can buy a used voartex and you are fully covered.

in the last few weeks i have bought two scopes
Viper PST 4-16x50 Mil/Mil SFP hunting/target
Vortex Razor Gen 2 4.5-27x56 Mil/Mil FFP long rang shooting target

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my vortex diamondback hp 4-16x42 I don't think it can be beat for the money. I picked mine up at cameraland ny for around 200 if memory serves me correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlaskaEd

WKR
Everyone always mentions The Vortex warranty like it's something new. Many other manufactures have the same thing, they just don't market it as much. Leupold has had the same thing for decades. I have an older (maybe mid-90s) Leupold Vari-x III that was repaired a couple months ago free of charge. Nearly all of the major players will take care of you if you have an issue.

It is pretty hard to beat Leupold. While I am not a Nikon guy for the most part. They have some great glass for the $ too. That is where I would be looking. Nikon also has great customer service.

snakelk

WKR
Everyone always mentions The Vortex warranty like it's something new. Many other manufactures have the same thing, they just don't market it as much. Leupold has had the same thing for decades. I have an older (maybe mid-90s) Leupold Vari-x III that was repaired a couple months ago free of charge. Nearly all of the major players will take care of you if you have an issue.

I agree. Vortex might have a great warranty that everyone raves about like it's something new and unheard of, yet Leupold has offered the same level of warranty and customer service for years. If weight is of any concern, most Leupold scopes are generally lighter for than a similar power/objective Vortex.

I'd also consider how you're going to use it. If you use turrets or shoot a lot, I'd have a hard time recommending Leupold. I had several that failed me when I started using turrets...they seemed to have held up fine for years before I started twisting on the erector and shooting a lot. I made the switch to NF NXS (later SHV), SWFA, and have now added the Bushnell LRHS and haven't had any issues. All track accurately, RTZ, and hold zero. The SWFA's can be had in your price range. A used NF SHV might be close (I prefer the SWFA's to the SHV). I'm not a good judge of glass quality, so I won't comment on that.

If you're not into long range pursuits and dialing shots, Leupolds' offerings may serve you well. I've always found the CS to be friendly and accommodating in years past.

Just my experience, yours may vary.

Find a used Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 or pick up the Cabelas Euro/Meopta version of the same. Usually around $300 or so, put the rest of the money in your pocket. They are pretty bullet proof- and outstanding optically. My .02c

dacd4134

Lil-Rokslider
I love Leupold, but I don't think the warranties are exactly the same. Leupold's still has an exclusion for accidental damage that Vortex does not:

-----
Leupold:
"If your Leupold product doesn’t perform as promised, we will repair or replace it for free, whether you are the original owner or not — forever (excludes electronic components). You don’t need proof of ownership or a warranty card, and there’s no time limit. We do this because we believe in superior quality and craftsmanship, and we’re confident your Leupold won’t let you down. That’s the power of our company. We stand behind our work."

"Unfortunately, these warranties do not apply if the product has been modified, misused or has been damaged by accident, abuse, or misapplication. To ensure this doesn’t happen to you, contact Leupold Product Service before having any work or repairs done to your valuable Leupold optics. Call 1-800-LEUPOLD or (503) 526-1400."

-----
Vortex:
"Our VIP warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale.

VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customer. We will repair or replace your Vortex product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition.

You see, it doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all Vortex Optics riflescopes, prism scopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes, tripods, and monoculars.

Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
Fully transferable
No warranty card to fill out
No receipt needed to hang on to

If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you."

Broomd

WKR
As others have said, go with the Leupold. The VX-3 series has proven it's worth for many of us.

If you have to have something different the Zeiss 3x9x40 conquest for around $300 and even less, is a stellar optic with great eye relief.

Im pretty green to rifles, what do those acronyms mean?
SFP is for Second Focal Plane and FFP is for First Focal Plane. In a SFP scope the reticle stays the same size throughout the zoom of the scope. A FFP scope, when you increase the magnification, you also increase the size of the reticle. Each has its pros and cons.

I have a FFP Vortex, that I like. I can use the reticle for wind hold offs at any magnification. Because the reticle is always scaled correctly. However, I like to shoot milk jugs during the off season for practice. At longer distances, my reticle completely covers the gallon jug. It's that thick, a SFP wouldn't do that because the reticle would still be thin.

Hopefully that's clear as mud now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That 270 will have a point bank range of roughly 340 yards on mule deer size targets with a 130 grain bullet. If you plan to shoot yardages in excess of that, I see no reason why you shouldn't buy a Vortex Hp with parallax adjustment. I say Vortex HP because the price is right for a great piece of hunting glass for 5 or so football fields of shooting. The problem with the Leupold is, it does not offer that for anywhere near the same money. I'm not brand pushing either.

If that long range isn't your desire, stick with the Leupold Rifleman, Redfield Revolution, Nikon Prostaff, Vortex Diamondback, etc..... I have all of these scopes. My favorite for these purposes is the Redfield Revolution scope. They are a great piece of glass for the money and, would be my choice for what you described if you are set that is all you'd ever use them for.

Plainly, You don't need nor, will you see any stand out advantage paying $500, versus $200 for a scope for 200 yards and less shooting with a 270. Good luck and God Bless

I do not like vortex period.

I have 4 zeiss conquests on my 4 most used rifles.

Meopta are basically a zeiss with a different name. Compare them they are identical but are a smudge cheaper I believe.

I'm in the same Boat but want a scope for a 264 win mag. Yet I'm not sure if I want to keep the gun or sell it. Wasn't many made of it but I'm not sure I'll Ever use it. I hate these decisions