Which Lightweight Rifle Scope

ianpadron

WKR
Just ordered a Savage LWH in 6.5 Creedmoor and I'm researching scopes to pair it with.

I'm leaning towards a Leupold VX2 or VX3 due to weight but would like some advice from guys who have put together lightweight rigs before. Maybe I'm missing some other scopes out there.

Shots won't be past 500 yards. Would like to keep the price below $300 or so.

Thanks!

MtnMuley

WKR
I topped my 6.5 LWH with a VX2 4-12×40CDS. Wanted to keep this a simple, cheap set up. So far I'm very happy. That scope can be found for $275 new regularly.

AlaskaEd

WKR
Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 weighs 11.4 ounces and has more than proven itself in the mountains. Get a custom CDS dial if you feel so inclined.

JWP58

WKR
Just bought a savage 16 lwh in 308. A leupold vx1 2-7x33 lr duplex that is 8.85oz will be going on it (in Talleys).

I paid 175 plus shipping for it.

Get the Leupold VX3i in 2.5-8x36mm with the Boone & Crockett reticle and I think you will be extremely happy. My son and I each have a Leupold 4.5-14x40mm with the B&C reticle on two different rifles and really like it. The reticle does work for longer ranges. I shot a large cow two falls ago at 450 yards. One shot and she went 20 yards and tipped over. I think the smaller and lighter 2.5-8x36mm would be just the ticket on that rifle though.

Someone mentioned the 6x36 or 6x42mm Leupold also. I have a couple of those and love them as well. I'm a big time believer in the fixed power scopes and the variable i mentioned is the very first variable I have ever owned or had on a rifle! I would get the long distance reticle that is set for the load you are using in that rifle. That would very light, rugged, and effective. Best wishes.

David

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
How do the Vx2 and Vx3 compare? Is it worth it to step up to the VX3?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Going with a VX2 3-9 with CDS in Talley LW Lows. Should be a nice little setup!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
The riflescope is one place where I don't mind some weight. I've seen two scopes get bumped on hunts and lose zero/ the ability to track. I really like Sightron scopes. I think there are five or six Sightron scopes in my safe. I've dumped all but one Luey. And I'm going to sell my the last VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS for whatever I can get to put towards buying a bow.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have the VX3i 2.5-8x36 (B&C Reticle) for my kimber in 308 and its a sweet set up.

I also use a 1.5-5x20 on my 30-06 for moose hunting and thats also a very nice scope, depending on what I was doing, I may even just throw the 1.5-5 on my kimber if I wanted to go even lighter.

AlaskaEd

WKR
Many of the Leupolds mentioned here (most) are not $300 new, by quite a bit. Just to be clear.

True, but if you are patient you can get real close. New 2.5-8s can be had in the lower $300s quite often. There's a dealer on eBay selling them for $335 shipped right now.

True, but if you are patient you can get real close. New 2.5-8s can be had in the lower $300s quite often. There's a dealer on eBay selling them for $335 shipped right now.
May want to be careful there, buying a Leopold through eBay that is way below msrp is a fantastic way to send up with a counterfeit item that has no warranty. Lots of fake optics out there these days, be smart about who you spend your money with.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AlaskaEd

WKR
May want to be careful there, buying a Leopold through eBay that is way below msrp is a fantastic way to send up with a counterfeit item that has no warranty. Lots of fake optics out there these days, be smart about who you spend your money with.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Never seen a fake VX3. I have seen fake Mark 4s, but they are all pretty obvious.