Scratches on binos.

I recently acquired some scratches on the ocular lens of my Vortex Razors. I am really not sure if they are sacrificing the quality of the image, or if I'm just psyching myself out. Either way, I want to replace the lenses. I'm okay with paying for it, but if it's covered in the warranty that would be great. I called Vortex, and they gave me a foggy answer. "Send them in and our technician will evaluate if they need to be replaced." Sounds like I just can't pay to get it done. Anyone else delt with Vortex with a scratched lens issue? Or getting service work that YOU deem necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just smash them on the ground and send them in..... they don't make anyone pay for anything even if you wanted to

Scratches on the objective glass on a spotter don't seem to be an issue. I have 2 on mine that I consider bad but can't see them. I contacted the manufacturer and they will replace the glass on mine but said it is not usually an issue. Now if they are on the eye piece then you have problems. I am sure the same is true for binoculars.

AdamW

WKR
Just smash them on the ground and send them in..... they don't make anyone pay for anything even if you wanted to

Your dishonesty is showing...

As_west_as_it_gets, Chris Roe just posted a while back where he left his slate call conditioner in his turkey vest along with his Vortex Diamondbacks and royally screwed up his lenses. They warrantied them and sent him a new pair. It's okay to be honest most of the time.

If you think they're affecting performance, contact Vortex again and tell them you think the scratches are affecting image quality. Maybe they're not worth replacing and they can buff them out, etc. Vortex first and foremost sells their warranty.

Here's Chris's IG post:

roehuntingresources So...remember those binos I posted a pic of that found their way into the same turkey vest pocket as my turkey call conditioning stone a month or so ago??? This is why I do business with companies with great warranties and customer service! ...I finally sent them in to @vortexoptics for repair last week, and in LESS than a week, I get this delivered to my front door! Seriously impressed; well done @vortexoptics !!! ...my wife said she now needs a new set for her work, so guess who I'll be going with.

And a link to the carnage if it'll let you open it...

Instagram

Last edited:

Except that's the one thing the warranty doesn't cover, intentional damage. But I suppose since you're already attempting to deceive, why not just lie about what happened too?

Things like this is what ruins it for everyone.

muddydogs

WKR
I remember when Cabela's used to have a great replacement warranty, guys would buy $100 boots and wear them every day in the woods for 6 months then return them because they were worn out. Now look at Cabela's warranty. Won't be long and Vortex will have to change there warranty with the way people are these days.

boom

WKR
i would send them in and let them evaluate. be honest and tell them they are messing with your mind. ( i wonder if you get a flare if you look in the direction of the sun..(not AT the sun!) :) my binos had one..but i gouged the hell out of them.)

i did the same thing with my RF. it was constantly 1 yard off..i compared it to my multi thousand$$ survey equipment. i said just that..i might be letting that 1 yard mess with my mind....

i got a new pair and a snarky note saying they were within spec.. to be fair..my new pair is just as quirky.

OP
A
Thanks everyone, I'm sure there is some slight effect on the image quality. I will probably use them through the season and then try to get them fixed this winter. So it seems that no one knows for sure if I can just pay Vortex to replace it?
b1e4217753e0c450c3afa9ad2afcc5e8.jpg

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
I sent a pair to them to be looked at last year, 2 weeks before my Coues hunt. They knew I needed them back, and sent me a brand new pair within 4 days.

As I shop for new binoculars, I have settled on the Vortex Razor or a Maven for my budget, and the ease of that warranty issue keeps Vortex in the conversation.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

😂😂😂😂 good thing I don't run Vortex then... ha ha. All the fanboys brag about how awesome there warranty is! The reason they have the warranty is because you are going to need it. Vortex is a ticking time bomb

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
😂😂😂😂 good thing I don't run Vortex then... ha ha. All the fanboys brag about how awesome there warranty is! The reason they have the warranty is because you are going to need it. Vortex is a ticking time bomb

Hey man, I'm not sure what you are adding to this conversation as the OP is clearly looking for legit advice. There are lots of good topics on Rokslide, and I am sure you have some good points to add, so feel free to look around and join the conversation in a positive way.

To the OP,

I am with the others recommending just sending them in to Vortex, and see what happens. After all, that is what Customer Service recommended, foggy answer or not.

AlaskaEd

WKR

It's a warranty, not a free replacement whenever you feel like it. Remind me never to do business with you.

13bonatter69

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know who lundellhunting7 is, but he was probably just joking around. No need to ask for his first born to be sacrificed or anything guys...
But then again, I have no idea who he is, maybe he has a habit of making posts like that, if so, FLAME AWAY......lol!!!

boom

WKR
he just makes no sense..how is vortex binos like a timebomb? those scratches didnt form themselves from some mysterious chinese factory defect..something harder than glass scratched it. and it looks like you helped...:D sorry.

i cant say schit..i scratched my binos as well. it damn near stopped my heart.