which of these spotters would you choose?

13bonatter69

Lil-Rokslider
I want ONE spotter to do it all. I will be using it to backpack in, look from the truck, you name it. Only got money for one, so I want it to be a good one. Anyways, if these were your two options, which would you go with and why? Thank you for your input

Kowa TSN 773 Promar (NEW)
right at 60 OZ with 25-60 eye piece
price $2100

Leica Televid APO 65 (NEW)
right at 55 OZ with 25-60 eye piece
price $2400

AGPank

WKR
I haven't looked through either, but both are high quality spotters. For my $0.02 would be the Kowa. For a 5 ounce weight penalty you will have better low light performance with that 77mm objective vs a 65mm.

dotman

WKR
I don't know but after reading the review on the new Kowa 550 series I'd consider that and it's less money. Maybe pm Rob from S&S and see what he thinks as he has the Kowa 77 but is also one of the few to look through the new 550.

At 28oz and comparing well to the swaro ATX 65 it can't be bad.

AlaskaEd

WKR
IMHO, you can't go wrong with either. I'd pick the Kowa TSN-773 based on its reputation with birders and price. Don't discount the TSN-663. Way less $$ ($1350ish) lighter weight (45oz) and very comparable to the Swaro ATS-65.

After five weeks of hunting deer and elk in two states last year I was in your exact same position. Previously I had thought I should have a big scope and a smaller scope in order to handle the different jobs like glassing from a road and carrying way in to the backcountry. I bought a big Leica 77 APO (used and about 10 years old) and a Vortex 50. Both were solid purchases. Both did their jobs well.

Ultimately I loved the view through the Leica so much more that I carried it exclusively toward the end of hunting season. But at 4-1/2 pounds it was excessively heavy for as far as I was carrying it. I knew that I only wanted one scope and did a lot of research.

I sold both and bought a Swaro 65 ATS with 25-50 eyepiece over the winter. I don't see ever upgrading this scope because of it's combination of incredible performance, light weight, lifetime warranty, and resale value (if I ever do decide to sell it).

The Leica 65 APO is simply fantastic and seemed to me to have better resolution and superior color. But, the Leica was heavier and lacks a solid warranty (10 years to original owner only). As a result of their poor warranty the resale value of a Leica is WAY below a Swaro.

I've never been able to look through a Kowa but would strongly suspect that Kowa scopes would loose their resale value similar to Leica.

I strongly suggest that you consider a Swaro 65 in your decision for your only spotter. Good luck!

Last edited:

Fire_9

WKR
Call the guys at Cameraland and you'll get into a Kowa for less that $2100. I bought one from them a few weeks ago and have really liked it.

Fireguy

WKR
I'll disagree with the Comment that Leica's warranty is lacking. I recently sent them a pair of Trinovids that were at least 15 years old with several different owners. They fixed them free of charge and had them back to me in 4 weeks.

WRO

WKR
Ever considered an ATX 65, you can find one in the used market for near the top end of your budget, then you'd have the option to go bigger at less cost than owning 2 scopes.

Fireguy, I'm glad that you had a good experience with Leica's warranty. I've heard of others that also had good experiences. But, what steered me away from Leica was the fact that their warranty in writing is only for ten years to the first owner (on spotting scopes at least). It's great that they are going above and beyond on their warranty but who knows how long that will last? I preferred the view through the Leica and didn't intend to need a warranty but I didn't want to spend that kind of money and risk not having a warranty. Leicas sell for considerably less than Swaros when used if you look at similar products on ebay.

ljalberta

WKR
Doug from Camera Land posted either last year or the one prior (in his SHOT show post I believe) that the fellows at Leica had begun a new focus on gaining a solid reputation surrounding their warranty. Sounds like it might be on the upswing.