Vortex Razor Binos made in China

AlaskaEd

WKR
Just saw a post on my local Facebook hunting page that showed a brand new in store pair of Razor HDs that were stamped "Made in China." That's too bad, those were one of the few Vortex's that were Japanese. The new Razor HD spotter I had recently was "assembled in the USA," so I'd hoped there would be a push that direction, but it looks like they went the China way instead. Oh well.

NDGuy

WKR
Who cares as long as they work and are well made. Either way lifetime warranty anyways.

Who cares as long as they work and are well made. Either way lifetime warranty anyways.

The point is usually Chinese made optics are lower quality than their European or (some) Japanese counterparts. They are probably trying to offset the cost of giving away new binoculars to everybody that files a warranty claim.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The quality of the optic has not changed.
This is the comment that is always said when something is out sourced. There is always a variable that changes. That said it's a competitive market and end pricing is a big factor in what sells and what doesn't.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
This is the comment that is always said when something is out sourced. There is always a variable that changes. That said it's a competitive market and end pricing is a big factor in what sells and what doesn't.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah but this product has always been outsourced, I could swear that when the Razor 65mm spotter was released it was made in China. That said they probably did move to help offset all the warranty claims.

Broomd

WKR
Not surprising, one gets what one pays for. They're not Leica, Swarovski or Zeiss. Once a guy compares these scopes with a Vortex, it's over.
Vortex optics are decent, but there is a reason optics dealers are constantly trying to move these things. And there must be a helluva (relative) profit margin unlike the big three.

Guys spend $2000 for a pack and camo pattern they think the game will like and voluntarily sacrifice themselves for, and they buy second tier glass to save $500 over a used (or demo) big three option.... Nuts.

Felix40

WKR
Not surprising, one gets what one pays for. They're not Leica, Swarovski or Zeiss. Once a guy compares these scopes with a Vortex, it's over.
Vortex optics are decent, but there is a reason optics dealers are constantly trying to move these things. And there must be a helluva (relative) profit margin unlike the big three.

Guys spend $2000 for a pack and camo pattern they think the game will like and voluntarily sacrifice themselves for, and they buy second tier glass to save $500 over a used (or demo) big three option.... Nuts.

That may be nuts but vortex has a place. Not everyone can afford top tier glass. They may not be the best but they get the job done and if they get dropped you dont have to worry too much. For me $2000 binos will probably not be a game changer on a hunt but they would be a game changer for my marriage 100% of the time.

No secret they have always been outsourced. I feel like it would be hard to tell the difference between a set made in china or japan anyway.

rodney482

WKR
They were.. so were the 50 mm spotters

Yeah but this product has always been outsourced, I could swear that when the Razor 65mm spotter was released it was made in China. That said they probably did move to help offset all the warranty claims.

Broomd

WKR
That may be nuts but vortex has a place. Not everyone can afford top tier glass. They may not be the best but they get the job done and if they get dropped you dont have to worry too much. For me $2000 binos will probably not be a game changer on a hunt but they would be a game changer for my marriage 100% of the time.

No secret they have always been outsourced. I feel like it would be hard to tell the difference between a set made in china or japan anyway.

We agree.
Vortex does have a place, but as I mentioned, if guys spent a bit less dough for the latest silly camo pattern or suspension system, they'd scrape up the extra dough for heirloom-quality glass that is worth passing down to your son or daughter. Glass that might make the difference between actually filling a pack or not.
Just my two cents, worth what I'm asking. :)

HookUp

WKR
Was listening to a podcast this week and the guys pack raft went under on a moose hunt. His Vortex spotter and rifle scope optics filled with water. He was f###ed the rest of his hunt but said the Warranty was great, lol.

DEW0341

WKR
I'll bet your buying into the warranty when you get vortex product. Yeah the warranty is soooo great I know I've used it twice but it's annoying to have to use it. Ive come to believe with vortex it's like the old saying about motorcycle riders its not if you crash it's when you crash. It's not if your product will fail from vortex it's when. I understand this is not aligning with many people on here they have had product that works but my perception is my reality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

AlaskaEd

WKR
Was listening to a podcast this week and the guys pack raft went under on a moose hunt. His Vortex spotter and rifle scope optics filled with water. He was f###ed the rest of his hunt but said the Warranty was great, lol.

One of the reviews on their Facebook page says his viper scope broke during a match and Vortex sent him a new one the next day. I'd consider my scope breaking when I need it a bad review, but hey, great warranty and all...

ETA: I just re-read it, they sent him an overnight return label the next day, not a new scope. And it was a Viper red dot, not a viper scope.

Last edited:
I don't own any vortex products and I never have, probably never will but, like others here have said, I hear a lot of great things regarding their warranty. I have to assume that all those great warranty endorsements I hear are coming from folks that are using their warranty. Guess I'll probably just stick with Swarovski and Leupold for all my eye wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The point is usually Chinese made optics are lower quality than their European or (some) Japanese counterparts. They are probably trying to offset the cost of giving away new binoculars to everybody that files a warranty claim.

Or more likely thier Japanese mfg'er invested in a new high tech facility in china.

Or more likely thier Japanese mfg'er invested in a new high tech facility in china.

Broomd

WKR
I have a vortex crossfire II on my Ruger .22rf.....it's a great little scope--I think I paid $59 for it from Doug at Candyland about 8 years ago.
I'd never put that optic on my go-to goat rifle, but it certainly has earned it's keep on the little rimfire. And it has a lifetime warranty! ")
Same logic for the premium glass the way I see it.

And we all know that big three glass is out there pre-owned, that often makes all the difference in actually affordability for many guys. But one has to be diligent.
Quite honestly, I'd rather have a 10 year old Leica 62 non-apo with a fixed 32x e/p with some scratches and honest use than 90% of the latest "HD" or "ED" offerings, the Leica still probably views better than all of them and takes up little space and weight in the pack.