Bino Tripod Adapter

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Outdoors seems to be loved. I have the field optics and for me it works great for way less money. I tried a couple of the vortex uni and standard. Which binoculars do you have

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

WKR
The KDC bino tower is very light and compact. I don't love the cam connection system, but I may not have it adjusted quite right yet.

Pro953

WKR
What is it that you all like about the outdoorsman piece. I am currently running the cheap Vortex unit but I really do not like it. I would love to jump between tripod glassing and freehand quickly which this unit does not allow, also hate screwing/unscrewing the mount from my binos when I want to glass our breakdown. Just one more annoying and slow step when I want to move. Thinking of dropping the cash for the outdoorsmans unit but I know lots of options are on the market so I want to get the most miles for my $$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the Field Optics adapter. Price is very reasonable, and much more user friendly than the Vortex you describe. You screw a small stud into your binos once, and then you just click in or out of the tripod very quickly. The stud is small and you won't notice it on your binos while hunting.

twall13

WKR
I'd personally only look at the Field Optics Research, Outdoorsman, and KDC. I think any of those three work well and I have personally tested the first two. For the price, nothing will beat the Field Optics Research in usability. The fit and finish isn't as refined as the Outdoorsman (and I would think the KDC as well) but it does functionally work well. I personally opted for the Outdoorsman because I felt it would be a little easier to use quickly with cold hands. The Field Optics mount is lighter if that matters to you but we are talking grams, not ounces lighter.

I suppose it's comparable to top tier binoculars as well. I personally think the Outdoorsman and KDC are going to be better than the Field optics research, but not by a lot. Whether it's worth twice the price depends on you. Same goes for binoculars. I'm sure some Swaro glass would outperform my Maven's, but not by a lot and is it worth the extra $700 bucks for the marginal difference? The answer will vary by person.

In short, all will work to rapidly release the binoculars from the tripod for free hand use. All of them have studs mounted to the binos that will be out of the way when not in use. If you have any doubts about which you prefer, order a couple of them. You can compare and keep the one you like. Even if you can't return them, the resale on here is pretty good for the more expensive models.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have both the outdoorsman and field optics. The field optics isn't as sturdy (the stud is held from rotating my compressing an oring) and I had the stud bend a little after using it for a season. I still have them and I'd certainly run them on my knock around glass. When I jumped into some more expensive 15x56s I wanted things more sturdy so I went outdoorsman. That one the stud threads in further and gets locked in place with a set screw. The outdoorsman isn't as fast in/out of the adapter as I need to tighten down the adapter to prevent the 15x56s from rocking side/side, not needed on my 8x42. Though I never tried the field research on the 15x56s so that oring system might not even be strong enough, not sure.

Pro953

WKR
Got it. While it's expensive I am not sure if the difference of 40 and 80 is all that substantial vs the hassle of buying cheaper not being happy and replacing. For those that are running the outdoorsmans. Did you with the tall or short? I am running 10x50's so I just want to make sure I have clearance.

twall13

WKR
I run the tall Outdoorsman and it has more than enough clearance for my 9x45 Maven B.2's. I ordered it more to give me a little extra height for the rare times I want to stand and glass behind my tripod. You'd definitely be covered with larger binos using the tall mount. I'm not sure with the short mount so hopefully someone else chimes in on that.

TBARR

FNG
On my Kiabab 15x56, I run the vortex uni-dapter which alone SUCKS!!! I have found that the Outdoorsman adapter plate goes on the uni-dapter great!!! You have to run the outdoorsman's quick release adapter on your tripod but it is so slick and very sturdy and secure. If I was starting over I would just get the outdoorsmans bino adapter to start with and not mess with the vortex uni-dapter. The outdoorsmans tripod adapters are so worth the money. 3 of my hunting buddies made the switch to the outdoorsmans adapters after they saw how quick and easy it is to use. Also remember to use the 10% off promo code “jayscott” I've used it several times. I would suggest calling the guys at the outdoorsmans to make sure you need the tall or short adapter. 30 sec call is better than having the wrong adapter and having to wait for return shipping.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Got it. While it's expensive I am not sure if the difference of 40 and 80 is all that substantial vs the hassle of buying cheaper not being happy and replacing. For those that are running the outdoorsmans. Did you with the tall or short? I am running 10x50's so I just want to make sure I have clearance.

I have the short because I thought the 3.5" was base to stud hole (not overall height), it still works with my 15x56 but I would have gotten the tall if I understood that better originally.

muddydogs

WKR

Pro953

WKR
I have the short because I thought the 3.5" was base to stud hole (not overall height), it still works with my 15x56 but I would have gotten the tall if I understood that better originally.

Thanks, I did email outdoorsman's and they said the short would fit, but it sounds like you are saying the talk would be easier to work with?

Best,
Phil

Thanks, I did email outdoorsman's and they said the short would fit, but it sounds like you are saying the talk would be easier to work with?

Best,
Phil

I have the short and the tall outdoorsmans bino adapters. The short will work with my 15s but I prefer the tall. I use the tall on my 10x 42 Leica's as well. BOTH are rock solid and get your optics up away from your tripod head better. I use them on my panhead or window mount. BOTH work outstanding.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Best,
Phil

With my 15x56 it would get them off the tripod head more as noted, but the short still works fine too. It really doesn't bother me much at all, just hindsight I would have grabbed the tall if I knew better and I don't think anything is lost with my 8x42s on the tall vs short.