Bino recommendation for 10 year old

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
She wears glasses so I'm not sure how to select eye relief for someone other than me.

In general I'm thinking about a 8x? Probably diamond back or crossfire. Not a diehard vortex guy but I'm familiar with their line up and don't want to spend crazy, open to other brands of similar quality and value.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
8x32 sightrons or Cabela's guides get great reviews and are in that price range I think

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Redfield makes a pretty inexpensive 10x42 that my 10 year old daughter uses . Good glass (within reason) and same warranty as Leupold .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You're best off with an 8x vs a 10x as the 8x will be easier to hold steady. Vortex and Minox both make quality at a lower budget which would be where you should be until she shows that she is:
Responsible with them
Interested in glassing
Comfortable glassing
Can let you know what the binoculars she's using lack and what she likes about them. She will learn through use and experience.
You want to get her something nice so she will enjoy it.

kpk

WKR
Check out the Leopold Yosemites....seriously. When I was looking for something for the daughter to mess around with I thought they were by far the best glass in the low price range.

WKR
Get some that can go on a tripod. I have to kick my 8 year old off the glass after a half hour on the tripod. Freehand, she would last 5 minutes max, probably more like 2.

View attachment 54097

ljalberta

WKR
They're clearing out the Vortex Talons in Canada in a few places for 30-40% off. An 8x32 or 8x42 for those prices would be a great option if they're also clearing them out down there.

1signguy

WKR
I strongly agree with the tripod suggestion!
I also agree with getting something both of you can use and switch back and forth. The biggest thing is get something comfortable so she enjoys it.
I would give my son my Swaro's and use clapped out 30 year old Nikon's if it made it a better experience and more fun for the kid.
My time in the field and enjoyment has only increased since my son has started joining me! It's the best.

Grumman

WKR
I got my boy some 10x42 used Diamondbacks. They have been great for him and with the Vortex warranty I have less worry about if he drops them etc. If I could do it again 8 power may be a little better since he loves to hand hold them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
when i was 10..there was no way..

i would give the 10 year old me..two toilet paper rolls taped together.