current model SLC vs Current Model EL

13bonatter69

Lil-Rokslider
With the current models of these two Binos, is there really an $800 dollar difference between the two? I mean, I have read that there are people on other forums that claim the SLC is close to being just as good. I have also read some people that swear that the EL is way better.
If someone is not an optics EXPERT, but just wants good glass to set behind without getting a headache, is the EL really worth the extra $800.00? How many of you guys hunt with the SLC's because you can't justify the extra price for the EL's? Just wondering what the thoughts of the roksliders are???

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some people enjoy the view with field flattener and some eyes don't like it at all. Check them both out and see what you like.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have both sitting right here and I look through both a lot. Just in the way you phrased the question I would get the SLCs. You will never see the difference. The ELs have a little better ergos and the FF lenses like stated above. The SLC have better light transmission and to my eyes are every bit as good as the ELs. So unless you have to have THE best, go with the SLC.... you won't regret it.
f69fed5578e9b330a9ce6cf113c60950.jpg

handwerk

WKR
I'd agree, you really have to compare them for yourself, at the least just to see which fits your face/eyes better. For me I picked the EL's and love them. If you do find you like the El's better, used ones can be found for $1500 or so, there doesn't have to be a $800 difference.

1signguy

WKR
Both are really excellent. I can't see any better with the EL's. The only reason I can see anyone buying EL's is for the Range model- which is why I bought mine.
If you aren't buying the Range save the money and get the SLC's. You will be blown away by how good they are.

ahlgringo

WKR
Both are really excellent. I can't see any better with the EL's. The only reason I can see anyone buying EL's is for the Range model- which is why I bought mine.
If you aren't buying the Range save the money and get the SLC's. You will be blown away by how good they are.

Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression the el range and the el are totally different glass- (not ed in the ranges)
I am sure they are great glass- but there was a long thread about this previously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahlgringo

WKR
But to answer op's question- i really found it is an individual preference. I looked through em both and liked the el's better enough to get em.

TheTone

WKR
I went SLC mainly for the price difference and the ease of making them tripod compatible (I realize its not that hard to get a stud put in the EL's). I've been very happy with my decision and haven't second guessed myself.

dotman

WKR
Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression the el range and the el are totally different glass- (not ed in the ranges)
I am sure they are great glass- but there was a long thread about this previously.

You are correct the ranges are good glass but not the same coatings as the non ranging.

dotman

WKR
One will find you deer for $1800, the other will find you deer for $2600

If you pay retail, plenty of smoking deals to be had, usually the EL's can be found for $800+ off msrp and SLC' $200 off msrp.

I know a few of us that got the Swarovision EL's (non field pro) for more then $1,000 off msrp for demo's that seemed to have never came out of the box.

OP

13bonatter69

Lil-Rokslider
If you pay retail, plenty of smoking deals to be had, usually the EL's can be found for $800+ off msrp and SLC' $200 off msrp.

I know a few of us that got the Swarovision EL's (non field pro) for more then $1,000 off msrp for demo's that seemed to have never came out of the box.

Man, Ive searched high and low and can't come close to that off the EL's. Anyone that knows where the EL's can be had for $800 off please pm me. Thank you!!

2blade

WKR
Look thru both before you decide. If you can see the rolling ball effect from field flattener lenses like I do, the el's will give you a headache in about 15 minutes. The slc's don't do that to me.

AlaskaEd

WKR
Man, Ive searched high and low and can't come close to that off the EL's. Anyone that knows where the EL's can be had for $800 off please pm me. Thank you!!

EBay and here in the classifieds. Plenty of new or like new from reputable sellers. Get the serial and call Swaro if you're worried. Heck, there is a pair of used ELs on here right now.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the SLC and love them. I did get behind a pair of Els a couple weeks ago and while the ergonomic are better and the edge to edge clarity is better, I could not handle the rolling ball effect it immediately made me motion sick. I almost upgraded recently sight unseen because I like to try new stuff, I'm glad I didn't.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR

Keep an eye on Natchezss.com, you have to be patient but jump when the opportunity is there.

Call cameralandny and see if they have any demos, samplelist.com has some currently but not as low as they can be price wise currently, also this is a bad time of the year to look for deals.

Last edited:

Shraggs

WKR
Like others have stated, both are so good, it's hard not to consider the value. To me, it came down to what power I wanted, in my case I already have a great 8x zeiss and thought a 12x would create some diversity in glass options.

I was set to buy the 12x el, when the was a great deal on the cabelas euro hd in 12. I feel those are close to an slc and price was long for me.