High Country Glass 10x vs 12x50 vs 15x56

tbone1

FNG
Hi all,
I am somewhat of an optics aficionado and have used alpha glass for the last 15-20 years of all makes. I am an avid hunter and have traveled quite a bit, however I am a relative novice backpack hunting out west and would like to get some opinions on what glass setup is preferred. My friend and I are now putting in for tags every year and are traveling this year for a DIY public land mule deer.

Currently I own several 8x32 (Swaro EL and Leica Ultravid), 10x42 Leica Ultravid, 10x50 Swaro EL, and Leica APO 62 spotter.
However, I am seriously considering purchasing a Swaro 12x50 EL or Swaro 15x56 and need some advice from those who have more experience than I.

Our first year was for Wyoming proghorn. I took 10x42 and spotter which was perfect. Both were used quite a bit.
Last year was Colorado public land Elk. We packed a lot looking for animals. Packed the spotter around all week may have used it one time.

This year is typical of what we expect year in and year out. Public land Mule deer in an area we are not familiar so we won't really know the terrain. My friend is carrying a Swaro 8.5x42 EL and Swaro 65 spotter. I don't think we really need 2 spotters so I started to consider purchasing a 15x56 based on all of the "it's a game changer" reviews by members here.

What do you guys recommend. Take the Leica 10x and spotter, take the 10x and a 15x56, or just take a 12x50 EL (with outdoorsman stud)
While the 15x56 may be a game changer, it would not save me any weight in my pack as it weighs about the same as the spotter.
The goal of purchasing the 12x50 would be to eliminate the need to carry 2 optics.
I have played with the 12's, love the ergonomics, and can freehand them relatively steady however, I have 2 concerns. 1. do they really offer that much more performance over a 10x on a tripod as they don't seem to. 2. I'm concerned that they give up more in shake and reduced field of view and I may prefer having an 8x or 10x as well.

Money is no object as I don't have any other hobbies and would like to get it right. Thanks in advance.

ianpadron

WKR
All I'll say is the 12x50s I picked up this year are an absolute game changer and you'd have to pry them out of my cold dead hands.

Set those puppies on a tripod and the hillsides absolutely come alive.

I'm not running a spotter at all this year, they're that good.

Can still hand hold them if necessary too.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
All I'll say is the 12x50s I picked up this year are an absolute game changer and you'd have to pry them out of my cold dead hands.

Set those puppies on a tripod and the hillsides absolutely come alive.

I'm not running a spotter at all this year, they're that good.

Can still hand hold them if necessary too.

I've run most of them, the 12x50els are a game changer, I like them better than the new 15s.

The btx is amazing btw too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
If more people had a chance to use a pair of 12s in the mountains for a day, there would be a lot of guys selling there 10 and 15s. The 12x50 ELs are truly the best all around binocular for western hunting IMO.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The 12x50 ELs are truly the best all around binocular for western hunting IMO.

Ya, I remember the first time I saw that Swaro was coming out with them and said out loud "Now why on earth did they have to go and do that.......that's going to cost me". I already had 8x32's, 10x42's, and 15x56's, and thought 12's would be absolutely perfect and pretty much take care of most of that.

WKR
Having just gone through this question over the last couple of months, I came to a definitive conclusion...

it depends...

I have 8x42, bought both 12x50 and 15x56 and spent a bunch of time comparing and contrasting. I do think the 12x50 are an extremely good compromise but the ones I had (Meostar) had a fairly narrow fov and were pretty heavy so I sold those and am going to an 11x45 Maven.

I don't think there is a wrong answer, just a better fit here or there depending on specific needs and hunting style.

If I had to choose between the ones you've listed, I'd go with 12x50.

Last edited:

marktole

WKR
Have you considered a pair of 8x and 15x? 8x on your chest for walking around and to take a quick look at stuff, and 15x for throwing on a tripod when you stop to glass. Would elimate a lot of overlap on optics. I have heard of several people using this combo and they swear by it.

mntnguide

WKR
I don't see why anyone would want anything less than a 10x for highcountry hunting.. I run 10x45 Zeiss for binos and always have a spotter on my highcountry hunts for deer. Elk I usually just go with the binos. 12x or 15x binos might be in my future, but definitely nothing under 10x

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I started using my poor boy 12X binos back in 2013....like them a lot and don't miss my 10X binos at all. Someday I'll get some real 12X but for now they work.

Hi all,
I am somewhat of an optics aficionado and have used alpha glass for the last 15-20 years of all makes. I am an avid hunter and have traveled quite a bit, however I am a relative novice backpack hunting out west and would like to get some opinions on what glass setup is preferred. My friend and I are now putting in for tags every year and are traveling this year for a DIY public land mule deer.

Currently I own several 8x32 (Swaro EL and Leica Ultravid), 10x42 Leica Ultravid, 10x50 Swaro EL, and Leica APO 62 spotter.
However, I am seriously considering purchasing a Swaro 12x50 EL or Swaro 15x56 and need some advice from those who have more experience than I.

Our first year was for Wyoming proghorn. I took 10x42 and spotter which was perfect. Both were used quite a bit.
Last year was Colorado public land Elk. We packed a lot looking for animals. Packed the spotter around all week may have used it one time.

This year is typical of what we expect year in and year out. Public land Mule deer in an area we are not familiar so we won't really know the terrain. My friend is carrying a Swaro 8.5x42 EL and Swaro 65 spotter. I don't think we really need 2 spotters so I started to consider purchasing a 15x56 based on all of the "it's a game changer" reviews by members here.

What do you guys recommend. Take the Leica 10x and spotter, take the 10x and a 15x56, or just take a 12x50 EL (with outdoorsman stud)
While the 15x56 may be a game changer, it would not save me any weight in my pack as it weighs about the same as the spotter.
The goal of purchasing the 12x50 would be to eliminate the need to carry 2 optics.
I have played with the 12's, love the ergonomics, and can freehand them relatively steady however, I have 2 concerns. 1. do they really offer that much more performance over a 10x on a tripod as they don't seem to. 2. I'm concerned that they give up more in shake and reduced field of view and I may prefer having an 8x or 10x as well.

Money is no object as I don't have any other hobbies and would like to get it right. Thanks in advance.
That is quite the optic arsenal you have there. I would think your 8x32 around your neck and a set of swaro 15x56hds on a tripod. SINCE you already have a set of 10x50 els that's a lot of coin to get the 12s. IF your buddy is carrying 65 spotter he can judge all the game you find with your 15s. MAKE sure you have a good tripod and head.

mcseal2

WKR
If I didn't love the built in rangefinder so much I'd likely sell my Leica Geovid HD-B binos and my Swaro 15x SLC's and go with the 12x50 Swaros for everything. If Leica or Swaro ever makes a reasonable light and compact 12x50 with the rangefinder built in I'll be buying one.

1signguy

WKR
Just went through this issue and settled on the BTX/65 objective and 10x42 EL Range for my glass. You really need to consider your glass as a system- IMO.

Loved the 15x56 SLC's on a tripod (I mean they really turned me into a glassing nut) but needed just a little more power to be able to eliminate the need of a spotter. I also had to carry a Swaro 8x32 for around the neck, and a rangefinder... The BTX gave me the comfort of the SLC's and the power of a spotter. It is a dream to glass with... Add in the 1.7 magnifier and you have pretty powerful spotter!

In the end I sold the 15x56, 8x32 and ATX eye piece and consolidated my glass to the BTX/65 (with 1.7 magnifier) and EL Range. I think this provides the range of glass I need, is reasonably packable, and provides a hand holdable bino while eliminating the need to carry separate rangefinder. Will probably buy a 95 objective for antelope (hunts where we are on four wheelers/utv/trucks) and because of the cool factor... But I think this is going to be a pretty solid combo for me...

So- IMO you need a spotter/hand holdable binos/range finder- A system. Going with a 15x56 is wonderful and potentially eliminates the spotter in some situations but you really need a smaller 8x30 or other hand held bino, and you still need a range finder... And you give up the ability to go far with your glass! Going with the 12x50 you get hand holdable (for some) but need a spotter and a rangefinder... Pluses and minuses to every possibility and what I hope is going to work for me may not work for others... But these are what factored into what I am using this Fall and why...

Last edited:
I havent used the 12's but if I had it to do over again I'd go with the 12's over the 10's. I couldnt pass up the deal on the 10x42 el's I got but the next set of glass I get I will be looking hard at the 12x50 el.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll be running 8x42 and 15x56 this year, if I didn't have the 8x42 prior I'd have went 8x32 and 15x56 (or checked out the 12x50s). I enjoy tripod glassing with the 15x56 and can definitely see more details over 8x and 10x. I don't like using a single eye on a spotter (just my preference). I enjoy having a smaller bino on my chest to check ahead in the shadows/under trees when closing in on something. The 12x50 guys would need to comment if that serves that roll just fine.

WRO

WKR
Have you considered a pair of 8x and 15x? 8x on your chest for walking around and to take a quick look at stuff, and 15x for throwing on a tripod when you stop to glass. Would elimate a lot of overlap on optics. I have heard of several people using this combo and they swear by it.
i did that for 3 years, now I just run the 12s, with the weight savings I can pack 95mm spotter.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
I'll be running 8x42 and 15x56 this year, if I didn't have the 8x42 prior I'd have went 8x32 and 15x56 (or checked out the 12x50s). I enjoy tripod glassing with the 15x56 and can definitely see more details over 8x and 10x. I don't like using a single eye on a spotter (just my preference). I enjoy having a smaller bino on my chest to check ahead in the shadows/under trees when closing in on something. The 12x50 guys would need to comment if that serves that roll just fine.
12s are great on the chest too. Quick glances at upcoming terrain are fine.

Definitely suck in any sort of still hunting/timber situation though.

Nooch2222

Lil-Rokslider
Just went through this issue and settled on the BTX/65 objective and 10x42 EL Range for my glass. You really need to consider your glass as a system- IMO.

Loved the 15x56 SLC's on a tripod (I mean they really turned me into a glassing nut) but needed just a little more power to be able to eliminate the need of a spotter. I also had to carry a Swaro 8x32 for around the neck, and a rangefinder... The BTX gave me the comfort of the SLC's and the power of a spotter. It is a dream to glass with... Add in the 1.7 magnifier and you have pretty powerful spotter!

In the end I sold the 15x56, 8x32 and ATX eye piece and consolidated my glass to the BTX/65 (with 1.7 magnifier) and EL Range. I think this provides the range of glass I need, is reasonably packable, and provides a hand holdable bino while eliminating the need to carry separate rangefinder. Will probably buy a 95 objective for antelope (hunts where we are on four wheelers/utv/trucks) and because of the cool factor... But I think this is going to be a pretty solid combo for me...

So- IMO you need a spotter/hand holdable binos/range finder- A system. Going with a 15x56 is wonderful and potentially eliminates the spotter in some situations but you really need a smaller 8x30 or other hand held bino, and you still need a range finder... And you give up the ability to go far with your glass! Going with the 12x50 you get hand holdable (for some) but need a spotter and a rangefinder... Pluses and minuses to every possibility and what I hope is going to work for me may not work for others... But these are what factored into what I am using this Fall and why...
You still running that setup? I love my 15's But thinking of going with the BTX and 10's