Lighter weight or Something I'm Comfortable with?

I am headed to Idaho for a bear hunt in August. We will be hiking in a few miles to a base camp. Max elevation will be around 7500 feet.

I have a Tikka CTR that I will be taking with me. Up top sits a Bushnell XRS 4.5-30 power that weighs in at 37 ounces. I have been shooting with this scope for two years, have shot a handful of matches with it and have many rounds down range with it.

I also have an SWFA Super Chicken that is a 3-15 power but weighs in at 23 ounces. I have used it a bit, but not nearly as much as the Bushnell.

Both scopes are in MIL.

Would it be worth the extra 14 ounces to stick with what I am most comfortable with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

todde1792

FNG
You answered your own question... For practice / training, use what you want. For killing, use what's most familiar

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

AlaskaEd

WKR
If both scopes are reliable, and you could swap them and zero easily, why not use the lighter one. That XRS is waaay overkill, and has a higher low-end magnification than I'd want bear hunting.

I say swap them, thats nearly an extra pound to carry and too high of magnification. What is there to be familiar about for hunting, unless you are talking a complicated reticle/system that takes a learning curve?

Swfa ffp or second??

That's two strange hunting scopes.

3-15 absolutely sucks ass in resolution, clarity, fov, and eyebox over 11x or so. Not sweet for hunting.

Your other option: 37oz is crazy heavy. But there absolutely can not be a replacement for being confident at the moment of truth.

I'd either rock the Xrs or sell the swfa and pick up another option.