Spotting scope upgrade

I scored a smoking deal on a diamondback 20-60 60mm scope last year and for my 1st scope I've been happy with it, with the understanding of what it was and it's short comings. I recently upgraded my rifle scope to a viper pst 6-24 and at the same time made the mistake of looking through a razor spotter and now the little diamondback just doesn't hold up. I was wondering how well the 11-33x razor would stack up? Obviously the coatings are far superior, but will I be happy or should I be looking at a 65 or larger scope? I live in South Dakota so I do a lot of glassing 2 miles and under here but I also hunt out farther west and in some pretty open county. I am not a trophy hunter, but would like the ability to tell the difference between 120" and 180" deer at distance. Thanks for the input guys.

AlaskaEd

WKR
It all comes down to how much you're looking to spend. The little Razor seems appealing due to the price, but it's just too small unless that's your sole reason for buying it. In the $700ish range buying used or one of the lesser known, but well regarded spotters is the way to go. Opticron, Pentax, Nikon, and a couple others are usually mentioned in this category. I have an Opticron MM3 with the SDLV2 eyepiece and I'm pretty impressed for the size and price.

OP
C
I should have included that in my original post. Right now $800 is the top end of what I can spend this year, but I'm all about buy once cry once and if I need to hold off for a bit to afford the quality I want then so be it (didn't draw any high point unit tags). I do pack in everywhere I hunt and besides the price the size and weight of the little razor had me really curious, I am all about saving ounces where I can but also not afraid to take a weight penalty where it counts if it is worth the weight and will lead to a more enjoyable experience (sleeping mat, optics ect).

AlaskaEd

WKR
Look into the Kowa TSN-603/604 with the 20-60 eyepiece. Very light and you should be able to squeeze it in right at your budget. Also look at the Opticron MM4. It has two eyepiece options, the SDL-V2 is better optically and it's waterproof, but it may bust your budget. Those would be my recommendations when lightweight, higher zoom, and your budget are the factors.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a kowa for sale in classified. That would be a great scope in the 800 range

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

204guy

WKR
As has been mentioned the 50mm spotters are a huge performance compromise for the weight and size savings. In that price range I'd be looking for a used kowa 663/664 or a Nikon ed65. I have the kowa 664 and optically its pretty much right there with the 65 ats swaro. The kowa eyepiece is much more critical to eye position though. Same deal with Nikon great optically but not a very forgiving eyepiece.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

i picked up a used kowa 664 a while back with the 20-60x eyepiece for $850. I'm not saying it's as good as the swaro 65 hd, but I've compared side by side and I was very pleased with the results. Don't quote me on this but I believe its one of the lightest of the 65mm class scopes because it doesn't have the rubber armour. Great scope.