KUIU Bino Harness Opinions

Just curious for those of you that have used or currently use the KUIU bino harness, how do you like it?

Currently running an older Bandlands. The best thing about the badlands is that it fully encloses your optics, and keeps the weather/dirt out. The KUIU isn't fully enclosed, and open on the back. Have heard a few guys say that dirt/debris get into the case.

If you are throwing a $1500 pair of optics in a bino case, do you like the KUIU?

Seems like the newer badlands keep getting bigger and bigger, almost like attaching a small backpack to your chest.

Thanks,

J

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a kuiu ftf and now a marsupial gear pouch. If you like the kuiu features I would take a hard look at the muleyfreak harness. I've never run one but addresses the short falls of the kuiu- namely that the kuiu pouch slips down when you pull your binoculars and you have to readjust the harness often.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

bates

WKR
i tried the kuiu but didnt keep it nor do i like it.

i use and prefer the Alaska Guide, but i havent looked at the newer options like the Muleyfrek or marsupial though

what i dont like about the kuiu is that if you glass on a tripod then is sucks having to un hook and then re-hook back in, you can connect the tag ends around your need but its alot of clipping and un clipping

i dont run the tether system i just put in the pouch and close the lid on the AGC

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I've ran the Kuiu bino harness the last two years and my biggest complaint is debris getting in. I have to get through a lot of alders where I guide and they drop a lot of leaves and dust. I ordered a new Sitka harness and an AGC to try out for this upcoming fall.

OP
B
Appreciate the insight. Was hoping KUIU would address the shortcomings of their case and come up with a new version by now. Maybe soon.

I'll have to check out the MF harness.

The badlands has been great for me. Love the protection. Just not a big fan of the way the binos attach inside of the case. A pain if you throw your binos on a tripod.

Boreal

WKR
I use the KUIU harness and love it. I never use my 10x40 on the tripod, so unclipping and reclipping isn't an issue for me. I can see how that would be a PITA, though. I don't really get any debris in my bag or on the binos unless I'm really punching through tough alders for extended periods. AT that point, the little bit of debris in my case is the least of my worries. They are extraordinarily convenient for one hand glassing, and the weight is carried around my chest instead of on my shoulders. They are completely out of the way when wearing a backpack, and where I want them when I want them. If this one goes, I'll order another.

B.S.

FNG
I've used both KUIU and ACG Cub.

I really like the low profile of the KUIU, but found myself wanting more protection for my optics (would like more padding and did not care for all the dust/debris that collected in the pouch.

Ran the ACG Cub last year, provides great protection and I like the storage and security of the extra pockets, downside is the bulk. Currently planning to use the ACG again this year, but may still use the KUIU for times when I don't need as much protection.

ACG KISS might be a good option as it has the extra protection with less bulk.

OP
B
Appreciate the replies. Think I would pull the trigger on that KUIU if it was fully enclosed. Maybe I'll give the smaller AGC a go.

How does the Muleyfreak harness compare to the marsupial? My glass is used both in hand and on tripod which is why I plan on selling my kuiu. I was thinking the marsupial would be best but not sure how the two compare

Bones

WKR
I ran the Kuiu for a couple years, and now have the Marsupial Gear. The Kuiu is nice and light, and I never had issues with it falling down when using my glass. I will say that I liked the rangefinder pouch, but it was a bit on the tight side. I didn't like how tight the side pockets on the Kuiu were. The elastic would snap when pulling out my wind checker if I wasn't careful. It was also a pain to get back in.

mcseal2

WKR
I run the Kuiu. I use the bigger sized Leica Geovid HD-B 10x42's and it seemed like the smallest of the bino harnesses that fit that bigger bino. I do get tired of clipping and un clipping when I use them off a tripod but I just deal with it. They do let some debris in. I don't like a harness sticking out to far in front of me though, like the lower profile of the Kuiu. They fit the same size pouch as my Swaro 15x in most brands, so the smaller profile of the Kuiu is nice when I'm wanting to quickly shoulder a rifle or move through brush. Scouting I bought a FTF to hold the 15x and like it pretty well. It's a lot larger than the Kuiu though.

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
If you like the KUIU, but don't like the dirt/debris, bino removal method and clipping straps around you neck. I suggest you check out the Muley Freak, it is like the kuiu but a little better. Here is a review I did of the Muley Freak.
[video=youtube_share;SUcBMsaRgfM]https://youtu.be/SUcBMsaRgfM[/video]

Thanks,
Boswell

FURMAN

WKR
I hated the Kuiu. I having a video comparing the Muley freak, AGC, FHF, and discuss the short comings of the Kuiu on my youtube channel huntinthewest.

OP
B
Great videos!

It sure seems like everyone of these harnesses has weak/strong points.

I guess everyone has different needs, or thoughts on what's important.

Seems like I want to take a part from all of these differnent harnesses and combine them into one.

I have a kuiu and a Alaska Guide creations. I only use the Alaska guide creations, it's many more options and it just works. I've never had any issues with it.

GPATTI

WKR
If you are in between KUIU and AGC, then check out Outdoor Vision's Ridgetop bino harness (outdoorvisiongear.com).

I use a KUIU because its low profile and simple but don't like that there is no good place for a Rangefinder and un-clipping the binos to put on a tripod is a bit of a pain. After a few years with it and trying a few other bulkier harnesses I am just going to sew the shoulder straps onto the body of the harness and keep using it.

I purchased a Muley Freak because I thought it would address all these issues. I was disappointed to find that it was cheaply made with crappy materials and I didn't like it. It sagged off my chest because the shoulder straps are sewn to the stretchy outer material on the top of the back rather than to the structured support inside and the side pockets are very small and have no stretch so they are useless. The front rangefinder pocket is made of the same thin stretchy material with no structure so it is difficult to use and they should have put a loop inside to tether you rangefinder to. The webbing used for the straps is coarse and cheap and the hardware wasn't impressive either. For $95 it should have been much better. The whole thing feels like a cheapo kids backpack not quality hunting gear.

I tried to return it the same day I received it and checked it out inside my house. They told me they didn't have a return procedure. After a couple phone calls and a 4-5 emails Muley Freak finally offered me a refund after I shipped it back.

The Muley Freak design is pretty good in concept but poorly executed. It's pretty obvious they send a KUIU harness to a cut and sew factory in china and asked them to copy it with a few tweaks.

I think the Outdoor Vision one looks pretty nice.

Edit: I'm no KUIU FanBoi and think Jason is a bit of a turd but they make a couple things I like.

Last edited: