Swaro vs huskemaw vs leupold rifle scopes

dotman

WKR
Ok thank you for making that clear about the electors. That does help me narrow things down. That gets me looking at nightforce huskemaw and vortex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of the 3 I would go Nightforce.

carter33

WKR
Does nightforce have any good options for a BDC turret (with ranges designated on the turret similar to the CDS system)? I know of at least one company that makes them. I have a leupold vx3i with CDS and absolutely love the system but want to upgrade on quality of optics and have also been considering Huskemaw, which I am leaning towards at the moment.

ckleeves

WKR
Does nightforce have any good options for a BDC turret (with ranges designated on the turret similar to the CDS system)? I know of at least one company that makes them. I have a leupold vx3i with CDS and absolutely love the system but want to upgrade on quality of optics and have also been considering Huskemaw, which I am leaning towards at the moment.

Kenton Industries makes several different NF models last I checked.

OP
B

bellboy

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have go or bad things to say about the nightforce nxs 2.5-10x42 compact? enough magnification for a 1/2 moa gun out to 600yds? I know it'll kill a deer out passed that, I'm referring to being able to shoot with high precision. Is it like putting plastic cromed hubcaps on a 69 Chevelle? Or is 10x plenty to print good groups at the range as well. It seem like these big 20x scopes are more and more popular but they are heavy expensive. My rifle is first a hunting rifle and second a range gun.

OP
B

bellboy

Lil-Rokslider
Custom turret doesn't do me much good because I have a sig with abs so it will give me corrected moa info not yardage. I need a moa turret

ckleeves

WKR
Anyone have go or bad things to say about the nightforce nxs 2.5-10x42 compact? enough magnification for a 1/2 moa gun out to 600yds? I know it'll kill a deer out passed that, I'm referring to being able to shoot with high precision. Is it like putting plastic cromed hubcaps on a 69 Chevelle? Or is 10x plenty to print good groups at the range as well. It seem like these big 20x scopes are more and more popular but they are heavy expensive. My rifle is first a hunting rifle and second a range gun.

I think magnification is a personal thing. For me I couldn't shoot very precisely at 500 yards with 10x but some guys can. I'm not one of them.

I recently switched from a NF with 22x max to another scope with 18x max and I'm already missing that extra 4x past about 600 yards.

Your struggling with the same problem lots of guys do. Light weight and long range. It's a very tough compromise. Go light and lose some reliability dialing or put a 30 oz scope on the rifle you spent so much money on to make lightweight and gain some of those ounces right back.

I keep eyeballing the 4-16x42 husky for a lightweight rig but I don't really care for their reticle very much. I'll eat less for lunch and carry that extra 7 ounces for now.

I would (and do) trust a Leupy VX6 to 5-600 yards. It wouldn't be my first choice for heavy range use and constant dialing but it works for me on a browning X-bolt that I'm not proficient with beyond 600 yards anyway. On my 6.5 SAUM that is slightly heavier (#3 bartlein) and easier to shoot long I'm running a 4.5-18 Bushnell LRHS and feel much better about it's tracking. You might find yourself wanting a Bushnell LRHS or Nightforce after a little time with the lousy Leupold turrets. I have shot through my vx6 3-18x44 and my LRHS 4-18 back to back a fair amount and the LRHS doesn't give up anything to the leupy in glass.

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
I think 10x is plenty for 500-600 yards. I shoot 1-6 power scopes out to 600 yards all the time. I shoot my 21x scopes out to 1400 yards. The military has been zapping people at 1000 yards with 10x scopes since Vietnam.

That said, it's a preference thing. For me the main issue with running 20 power at 500 yards is you lose FOV big time and hence you lose sight of your target in recoil for much longer than if you had a bigger FOV. Ie you might not see which way the animal ran.

OP
B

bellboy

Lil-Rokslider
This would all be easier if I had already done a lot of 600yd shooting, which I haven't. So I think I'm gonna have to just make a decision go to the range and practice and if what I chose doesn't fit the bill I can sell it and move on to another option. I appreciate all the good info and suggestions. It really set in stone what I kinda already knew about certain scopes and dialing but didn't want to believe hahah. Much appreciated.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
This would all be easier if I had already done a lot of 600yd shooting, which I haven't. So I think I'm gonna have to just make a decision go to the range and practice and if what I chose doesn't fit the bill I can sell it and move on to another option. I appreciate all the good info and suggestions. It really set in stone what I kinda already knew about certain scopes and dialing but didn't want to believe hahah. Much appreciated.

The 2.5-10x Nightforces are excellent scopes, and 10x is plenty for 600 yards. I see a bit more than half a million rounds a year go downrange and am still waiting for the person that can't hit with a good 6x scope at 600 yards. From a 6 year old girl to the 90 year old WWII vet, thev'e all done it.

For scopes -

Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32/42
SWFA SS 6x42mm and 3-9x42mm with MQ reticle
Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44mm

I say this having taught a lot of people to shoot and hit in the field... If you are learning to shoot at medium to
long range (or any range), skip the boomers and get a fast twist .223 with a SWFA 6x42mm Mil Quad scope and shoot 75-77gr bullets out of it. Hitting in the field is about good technique. Good technique is about round count, and round count is about fun. Even a 6.5SAUM isn't "fun" to shoot 100-200 rounds in a day.

OP
B

bellboy

Lil-Rokslider
That sounds like good advice formidilosus. I appreciate it

OP
B

bellboy

Lil-Rokslider
That is what I as looking for. A lot of good info on there thanks!!!

Rippit

FNG
I would look very hard at the Bushnell LRHS! ive owned and shot most of the high end scopes over the last 15yrs . The LRHS can't be beat for the price in my opinion .