Curious...who is using the Leica 65 or 82mm spotting scope?

Broomd

WKR
Was hoping to get an idea of how many guys are using Leica's fine 82mm and 65mm Apo spotters.

We all know they are spendy, and I personally think they are the finest 65mm series glass in production.
S&S got it right with their review imho. Best of the Best 65mm Spotting Scope Review - S&S Archery Backcountry
I have a Swarovski 80mm HD also with the 25-50 and these scopes are close, but even the big 80 doesn't have the edge to edge clarity of the Leica.
It does shine in low light however. The larger objective pulls away at dusk.

Post if you have the newer Leica spotter..... and wondering who else has compared with the other alphas out there.

Last edited:
OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
That's ironic, Ed; because I really like Swaro's large single focus wheel. If the choice were between scopes with strictly *mechanical function* in mind, it would be the Swaro for me.
Alas, the bottom line is all about pure optical excellence...the Leica takes all comers in the 65mm-sized series. I'd love to have an 82mm to play with.

AlaskaEd

WKR
I really like being able to feather that fine focus wheel and the scope not move. I guess maybe I'm not used to the Swaro style and seem to shake the scope more. Do you feel the optical performance will make up for the 50 power? That's a big thing that's kept me from seriously considering one for a 65mm. I do have a TSN-553 on order which has the focus I like and awesome weight, but it's obviously lacking in light gathering from a 65.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
50 power? As opposed to the swaro 20-60x, you mean? I like the 20-60 but don't think it compares to Swaro's (or Leica's) incredible 25-50x's.

I seldom use a scope over about 40-42ish power. The sweet spot is about 32-36x for me, sheep/goats, etc. That said, I have a spankin' new Leica 1.8 extender in my gear closet I just purchased. Saw a 'best offer' special on them and couldn't resist trying one. That will put me at 50-90x power. I'll fire it all up with a phone scope for the eclipse next month.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
And yes, I do agree, the fine tuning on the Leica is really sweet. With gloves etc, the larger swaro wheel is more convenient.

Broomd,
I'll be interested to hear what you think of the 1.8 Leica extender. I've been using one for the past couple seasons. It works well, but there is definitely a "spot" in it that appears at higher powers.

Ronb

WKR
Hey Broomed, I just picked up a 30sw for my swaro hd65. To my eyes its a dream. I don't think the 65mm can handle much more mag. When using the 20-60, I realized i was stuck on 20power because the view was so sweet. The 30sw has 20% better fov at 30. Its also wider than the 25-50 at 25x. I still can't help but wonder about the 25-50, if thats the end all. Or if this 30sw is. Curious if you've ever compared the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Broomd,
I'll be interested to hear what you think of the 1.8 Leica extender. I've been using one for the past couple seasons. It works well, but there is definitely a "spot" in it that appears at higher powers.

I'll be breaking her out tomorrow...will update regarding 'spot' and overall initial impression....

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Hey Broomed, I just picked up a 30sw for my swaro hd65. To my eyes its a dream. I don't think the 65mm can handle much more mag. When using the 20-60, I realized i was stuck on 20power because the view was so sweet. The 30sw has 20% better fov at 30. Its also wider than the 25-50 at 25x. I still can't help but wonder about the 25-50, if that's the end all. Or if this 30sw is. Curious if you've ever compared the two.

Congrats on the 30! That's a helluva e/p and your post reinforces what many optics guys have known for a long time, those fixed eyepieces (Kowa, Swaro, Leica) are the cat's ass. A guy really doesn't need much more.
I can't say that I have had the fixed and the 25-50 side by side. I suspect the 30 would a have a bit more e/r than the 25-50, and that it would be markedly lighter, and possibly brighter. There is something to be said for a wide angle zoom as we all know, and when they are as good as Swaro, Leica and Kowa produce, it's a pleasure to use one.
You aren't missing a whole lot by not using the 20-60. The narrow FOV is what it is, and the higher mags are really prone to distortion, mirage anyway. But if you're a coues, sheep hunter etc, the zoom should be in your arsenal, the ability to count tines, rings etc. is its own reward.
If you like the 30, you'll love the 25-50 for those detailed applications.

Ronb

WKR
I grabbed it for a great price and haven't put the 20-60 back on since. When I did my comparisons with the two, the 30sw was wider, brighter and so easy on the eyes. You can make it bigger with the zoom, but can't necessarily see more. I'll pick up the wide zoom one day. But for now, I think the 30sw is a near perfect match for the 65.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
I grabbed it for a great price and haven't put the 20-60 back on since. When I did my comparisons with the two, the 30sw was wider, brighter and so easy on the eyes. You can make it bigger with the zoom, but can't necessarily see more. I'll pick up the wide zoom one day. But for now, I think the 30sw is a near perfect match for the 65.

My experience exactly with the 62mm Leica televids with the fixed. They make those little scopes pop with brightness and FOV!

lee peet

FNG
Last year I was able to have a kowa 883, leica 82, zeiss 85 and swaro atx85 for a couple weeks and put them up against each other. At the time I owned the kowa 883 and a swaro ats 65. The leica was fantastic up to 50x and may have been my favorite until I put the extender on it. I have to disagree with you guys not liking the higher mag's, these big spotters can handle it and i find it to be a huge asset for fine detail. In the end I bought the zeiss, the 75x was magic on clear mornings and evenings. I did really like the leica and if that extender had worked better, probably would have chosen it but the clarity just went downhill right when I installed it.

Ronb

WKR
Part of why i think i like the 30sw so much, has a lot to do with my tripod and head. A slik 624cf and outdoorsman micro-panhead. One would certainly get more enjoyment out of the higher mags if you're willing to carry a heavier kit. Also, the eye relief takes a significant dive after 30x with the zoom. I'll chime in after my scouting trips in a couple weeks. I may b singing a new tune.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Wow, 100's of hunters here and practically no one using the Leica 65 or 82 spotters, who'da thunk it.

Fireguy

WKR
I've used them all. The Swaros are damn nice. Have the Leica 65 APO. Sent it to Leica for cleaning had it back in two weeks. Almost sold it like a idiot and came to my senses. It is simply an amazing spotter.

HookUp

WKR
Wow, 100's of hunters here and practically no one using the Leica 65 or 82 spotters, who'da thunk it.

Currently running a Swaro ATX with 65mm objective, what is the weight differences between scopes? I use mine all the way to 60x, might give it up for a weight savings.

270quest

WKR
Not the newest, but I picked up a Like new Leica Televid 20-60x77 on ebay and it is flat awesome. This teamed with my 10x42 HD Geovids on a tripod and there is a looooottttt of ground and detail I can look over.

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Bringing this back from the dead but I run a Leica 65mm Televid. Have run it next to expensive Kowa and Swarovski products and I wouldn't trade. If there was a fixed 30X LER eye piece I would give it a try but the 25-50X is a truly great zoom. These German optics are heavy but worth the weight! I don't like the cost of accessories but that's about it. Great glass!