15x Binos or 20-60x Spotter?

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I'm tossing around the idea of buying a pair of Vortex Viper 15x50 over a 20-60x spotting scope. I mainly hunt elk in the mountains, and muleys down in the high dessert sage brush, but I came to the realization today that I don't really ever need that much magnification to glass from ridge-top to ridge-top, or ridge to valley and vice versa. I also noticed the other day after using my friends spotting scope that my eyes started getting tired from squinting and such. So how many of you go with 15x binos on a tripod vs the spotting scope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
I'm tossing around the idea of buying a pair of Vortex Viper 15x50 over a 20-60x spotting scope. I mainly hunt elk in the mountains, and muleys down in the high dessert sage brush, but I came to the realization today that I don't really ever need that much magnification to glass from ridge-top to ridge-top, or ridge to valley and vice versa. I also noticed the other day after using my friends spotting scope that my eyes started getting tired from squinting and such. So how many of you go with 15x binos on a tripod vs the spotting scope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you go the 15x route, get better glass than the Vipers.

Your eyes will thank me later.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
I would get a Vanguard Endeavor HD spotter over Vortex Viper 15's. If you really want 15's save up and get Zeiss, Meopta or Swaro. I had the Vortex kaboobs and was not happy with them.

They are each different tools, I carry both. 15x56 for picking apart big chunks of country, using the spotter only to check out an animal I've already found with the binos. If I could only have one or the other i'd go 15x binos. Don't go cheap.

Beendare

WKR
I have the 15x50 vipers I used once...and am going to sell them becuase I like my [big/heavy] 15x60 zeiss better.

Spotter vs big bino; I like the bino better for long glassing stints...the spotter better for a look see on trophy quality.

Mike7

WKR
Having looked through the 15x50 vipers a couple of times and an 80mm Vanguard spotter extensively, I would definitely not get either of those, unless you were planning to use the spotter at the range and not so much for hunting.

I would strongly recommend getting a 56mm obj if going with 15x's, and save up for the next level higher of glass (e.g. Nikon Monarch 16x's, Meopta/Zeiss 15x's, etc.), which can be had for $600-$900. To get a decent spotter, even used, you will likely have to pay more than these quality 15x binos new. At the level of glass in the Vanguard spotter, at least with my sampIe, I found the entire upper 1/2 of the magnification range not very useful in most field conditions.

If looking FOR game 15x Swaros on a tripod.

If looking AT game swaro 20-60×80mm.

I had a leica apo 62 spotter that was super nice but I liked looking through the 15x better. SOLD the leica.

WKR
Look at it as a system. 8-12 binos first priority depending on style and terrain. Then find what you are missing with the first piece and prioritize that quality next, and so on...

mcseal2

WKR
I agree that the 15x50 Vipers aren't great 15x binos. I had a pair and returned them after one night of looking at deer. I went to 13x58 Minox I used for a while until I saved up enough to eventually upgrade to 15x Swaros. The Minox were much better than the Vipers at showing detail and low light.

Others have said it already, but it depends on what you want. 15x binos will find you more game and have less eyestrain on average. They can also leave you wanting more magnification if you spot a distant bull or buck. I have been elk hunting late season where a spotter saved me a long hike by showing me a bull was broke up on one side. Smaller antlers like muleys a spotter becomes even more important to judge them. I have and use 10x, 15x binos and have used 3 different size/weight spotters for different hunts. Elk I like a small light spotter and good 10x binos. Muleys I might use and carry 10x binos, 15x binos, and a spotter. Antelope I like the 10x binos and small spotter in the pack, big spotter on a window mount. Whitetail it depends on where I am hunting and how far I can see. The 15x binos on the tripod can show me detail and help me make decisions on bucks at last light at longer yardage if the situation calls for it.

Everything has it's place, decide what's most important to you and start there. 15x binos might be the ticket if you just want to find lots of game and will shoot any good framed buck for example. You can see a buck's frame much farther than you can tell if he is a 3x3 or 4x4, has eyeguards, etc. If you care about those things a spotter might be best and might show you a broken point before you hike miles across a canyon after a critter.

If Leica or Swaro brings out a reasonably light and compact 12x50 bino with excellent glass and a good angle compensating rangefinder built in I could mount to an Outdoorsmand tripod I'd likely get rid of my 10x and 15x binos. I think those and a spotter would lighten and simplify my system without reducing it's effectiveness much.