Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x/2-10x VS Leupold fx 2/3 6x

suchee

FNG
Really need advice on this.. have been up all night weighing all the scenarios.. which one for weight(seems a wash) and ease of getting behind quick, and finally low light performance?

SWFA has RAzor hd lh 1-8x or 2-10x (G4 reticle) only for $450 & 470!

I love that reticle!

FX 2/3 is $300 & $400

They dont have the "ability" to put a boone and crocket reticle(my preferred)
and i cant find one on shelf with LR duplex either.. so $70 more to have it changed to that

Price is wash... so.... 600m max for hunting BG, need to point and just use hold overs with those choices, using Tikka t3 ultralight 300WSM

I have read the gear post of the 1-8x, and 3-15x, but can i reliably rely on them for holding zero ok? I know leupys rep on the fixed x's

Is the HD LH a better scope than a FX2/3 ... .specifically eye box

Last edited:

kparrott

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking about the same thing. Interested to see what people think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

suchee

FNG
Ya, I can't make up my mind at that price point for the Vortex.

And for reference, I was really wanting a superlight simple fixed scope with bdc. Something with a great eye box, and BIG picture! But this sale has me all worked up. CAN that 1.5-8x give me that!

too top it off, no stores here stock fx 2/3 to compare.. they say they just dont sell, so they dont stock

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AlaskaEd

WKR
Those are two completely different scopes. Do you want the lightest weight possible, or heavier with a large zoom range? Personally I'd go with the VX-3 2.5-8 over the Vortex. Lighter than the Vortex at 11 ounces, and you still get the 8 power and a B&C reticle. Not too mention it's been a proven scope for decades.

OP
S

suchee

FNG
I just wanted a mountain light 10_13oz ffp optic so hold over dots don't have to be on max to work.. But that doesnt exist. So I figured leupy fixed.. And a price point <500

Can u get a vx3 less than that?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

AlaskaEd

WKR
You can get just about every VX3 cheaper than $500. The 2.5-8 can be had for $399 everyday, or much less if you're patient.

Why does it matter if your holdover has to be at max? If you're shooting at a distance that you'll need holdover, won't you be at max anyway?

OP
S

suchee

FNG
Yup, that's right. However my preferred Max power is 6x at 600m, simple and quick all ranges for me. I hate being overpowered in a rush if i forgot it at max, but 8x aint bad i guess, but not ideal. I'm just a fan of lower fixed power for this application, one less "thing". I havent found a variable ultralight scopes at that max of 6x <16oz.. Ar15 scopes come into play??
edit .. did some shopping the vx3i 1.75-6 but no B&C to 600, AR scopes have primary arms with nice bdc reticles.. but again way to heavy and caliber specific

Im coming from a swfa ss 3-9 ffp, which is absolutely perfect... But not at 20oz for this ultralight build.. It's So top heavy on the t3

I value that opinion of vx3 over Vortex hd lh, I've played with the hd lh alot at cabelas, just not sold on durability. I appreciate less a rock solid warranty if I have to send it back all the time, I need proven durability

Last edited:

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32. IMHO it's a great scope. I put it on a BAR grade II and if I put the correct rings on it it would look a lot more classy. I think at that price it's a hard scope to beat. I've never heard anything negative about durability either.

AlaskaEd

WKR
I have a 1.75-6 VX-3 on a 375wsm that I had a CDS dial installed on. That scope is 10.something ounces. If I remember correctly, I could have had a B&C installed at the same time, but I stuck with the heavy Duplex, as it's not a precision rifle.

OP
S

suchee

FNG
1-6 or 8x ffp, ~12oz, bdc reticle would be ideal
. With all the options now.... nothing!! better than the '90s i guess

where does the Razor HD LH fit in with leupold clarity & resolution.. vx3 or vx 6? I see vx6's configured light enough. but not really to my spec and all >$1000

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Im coming from a swfa ss 3-9 ffp, which is absolutely perfect... But not at 20oz for this ultralight build.. It's So top heavy on the t3

I value that opinion of vx3 over Vortex hd lh, I've played with the hd lh alot at cabelas, just not sold on durability. I appreciate less a rock solid warranty if I have to send it back all the time, I need proven durability

The most common setup among the guys in aroundnis exactly that- a T3 SL with SWFA SS 3-9x or 6x MQ. No one wants a different scope.

The only sub 19oz scope that's actually durable and reliable is the SWFA SS 1-4x Classic.

OP
S

suchee

FNG
Not even a fx 2/3 eh?

I appreciate your posts and experience so much, it was your advice that put me into that swfa. Just love it, I would put it on my target rig.

Im getting a custom ultralight stock on the t3 dropping 10oz, which will make it even more top heavy. It's 8lbs ! AFter limbsaver, pic rail, heavy rings, custom brake, its all adding up
Miss my 6.5lb beaut with vx2 3-9, but that scope was like looking through a pipe

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Not even a fx 2/3 eh?

I appreciate your posts and experience so much, it was your advice that put me into that swfa. Just love it, I would put it on my target rig.

Im getting a custom ultralight stock on the t3 dropping 10oz, which will make it even more top heavy. It's 8lbs ! AFter limbsaver, pic rail, heavy rings, custom brake, its all adding up
Miss my 6.5lb beaut with vx2 3-9, but that scope was like looking through a pipe

Glad to hear it. Knowledge is only power if it is shared, and I get to see a lot of equipment tested and used. Consequently most gear fails with even moderate use as manufacturers know that the vast majority will never do more than takenit to a deer blind.

The FX 6's used to be pretty decent scopes. As of 4-5 years ago we started seeing a lot of problems just like at Leupolds.

I've shot a bunch with Kimber's, Tikkas and custom rifles that weigh 4.6-6.0lbs bare, and will always put correct functioning and absolute reliability ahead of everything else.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
"The only" is a pretty bold statement. Reliable for use as a hammer maybe? Hell even my ACOGs weigh 9.9oz, but those aren't going on my hunting rifles.

I'm open to suggestions. I would be supposed if you can come up with a scope system that I haven't seen.

Acog's are not usable on bolt guns.