Need A spotting scooe

westcoasthunter

Lil-Rokslider
Need A spotting scope

I need to get a spotting scope before October. I've been looking at the meopta S2 82 HD 20-70. And I can get one brand new for around 1600$ . My question is how do they stack up against the Swarovski ATS, and Zeiss spotters. And for less money the vortex razors Gen 2? Are the Swar and Zeiss worth the extra money? This will be for hunting and classing from roads, in the truck , to back packing. 10+miles. Weight is not a problem . Thanks for your time

Last edited:
I prefer the image of my S2 over the few ATS spotters I had a chance to compare it to. It's noticeably better image quality than the Razor if you're willing to spend the money.

I highly recommend the 30-60x WA eyepiece if you go with the Meopta. It's a thing of beauty.

I just upgraded to a Meopta S2 from a Vortex Razor this year. The S2 is in another league.

I've read just about every forum post and review on the S2. Some prefer the S2 to the ATS, especially given the difference in price. If I was going to spend the money for a Swaro it would be for the ATX.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I was really impressed by the S2, and preferred it to the ATS I looked through. I ended up getting a great deal on an ATX, otherwise I think I would have gone with the S2. I also looked through the Zeiss 20-75 x 85mm, and did like the ability to crank it up to 75x, but I was leery about going with the Zeiss since they discontinued that scope.

You might look at Maven. Ryan's podcast open my eyes to the brand and when you get guy like Ryan and Matt high on them, worth a look anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mntnguide

WKR
I'll put my Kowa up against any of them if you haven't given them a look yet you should... my 77mm is the same weight as a swaro 65, and glass is incredible

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'll put my Kowa up against any of them if you haven't given them a look yet you should... my 77mm is the same weight as a swaro 65, and glass is incredible

I agree 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ronb

WKR
I believe the OP was asking about the ATS series not the ATX. The Kowa 773 is nearly the exact weight of the ats 80. The 65 ats is a half pound lighter. If one was comparing apples to apples it should be the Kowa 663 versus the Swaro ATS 65. The 773 versus the ATS 80. And the Kowa 883 versus the ATX series scopes. My advice to the OP is all of those are going to be awesome, but don't skimp on your tripod and Pan-head. Oh and buy used!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mntnguide

WKR
I believe the OP was asking about the ATS series not the ATX. The Kowa 773 is nearly the exact weight of the ats 80. The 65 ats is a half pound lighter. If one was comparing apples to apples it should be the Kowa 663 versus the Swaro ATS 65. The 773 versus the ATS 80. And the Kowa 883 versus the ATX series scopes. My advice to the OP is all of those are going to be awesome, but don't skimp on your tripod and Pan-head. Oh and buy used!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True..i was looking at weight of ATX 65 vs kowa 773 which are both 59oz. . In regards to if the better glass is worth the money... my Kowa flat out destroys my vortex razor 65 in every category. Once you realize how much difference there can be, you can understand why the price is worth it. I use my spotting scope constantly for high country muleys, so I spend a lot of time looking through it, and am very glad I upgraded

WKR
Just bought a Kowa 663 as my first spotter, in 30x wide. I might prefer the straight scope but as a novice in this game, the Kowa has not left me wanting more.

...yet...

OP
W

westcoasthunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone, the vortex never really was Something I wanted. I never though about the kowa I will check them out. I am pretty set on getting Something In the 80mm size. Weights not really a concern yet. And I would love the ATX but I can't drop that kinda cash on one. Thanks for all the info

mntnguide

WKR
Thanks everyone, the vortex never really was Something I wanted. I never though about the kowa I will check them out. I am pretty set on getting Something In the 80mm size. Weights not really a concern yet. And I would love the ATX but I can't drop that kinda cash on one. Thanks for all the info

If you do much searching in the Birding world, who are absolute freaks about spotters as well, the Kowa 880 series, their 88mm; is highly regarded as the Best scope out there. Over the Swaro ATX series. Also saves you considerable money over a Swaro for great glass.

I have the strait scope 20-70 82 and its awesome. I compared it to a sts 80 in the field and it was slightly better. Small sample size but you wont be disappointed with meopta great customer service too imho.